West Point graduates called back to school for graduation and Trump speech........

Does anyone else think that this is unnecessarily putting our military graduates at risk?
No. I dont. WTF is wrong with you?

They had already been sent back home and were finishing out the year via computer and the internet. They were also scheduled to do a virtual graduation like the Navy did, but because Trump has to have someone to give a speech to, he is calling them back, which means they have to travel through one of the most infected areas in the country. Then, when they get there, they have to be quarantined, then after quarantine, they attend the ceremony. Lots of hassle for no really good reason.
They are flying to their next duty station anyway...what is your malfunction?....you think Trump wants to give a speech?....he can do that anytime he wants.....this is for the graduates not Trump.....we don't have a virtual Navy sailor......get that through your head....stop with the TDS accusations....

No, they aren't necessarily flying to their next duty station. I was a PN, meaning I did the paperwork for the command. And, if you DON'T have a POV (Privately Owned Vehicle), then the military will find you a plane ticket. If you go via POV, you get 350 miles/day in travel time.

If you don't have a POV, then the military will provide you with a plane ticket to get to your next duty station. If it is in the continental US, then you only get one day travel time.

I'm guessing that most of these cadets have their own vehicles.

OMG...its like arguing two year old....after graduation 90% of them will travel by train plane bus or car I can guarantee you none of them are worried about flying to a graduation ceremony....

Really? You can guarantee that? How many of the cadets do you know?
I have known and met many Navy academy grads in my life and never met one that didn't want to attend his or her own graduation....they work their asses off to get to that point....and not one of them wants to do a virtual graduation and miss seeing the president of the United States.....no matter how thick your TDS has become.....

Really? You know a lot of them? Ask them if they would have been willing to go back to graduation during a pandemic, after already being sent home and told they would have a virtual graduation?

Does anyone else think that this is unnecessarily putting our military graduates at risk?
No. I dont. WTF is wrong with you?

They had already been sent back home and were finishing out the year via computer and the internet. They were also scheduled to do a virtual graduation like the Navy did, but because Trump has to have someone to give a speech to, he is calling them back, which means they have to travel through one of the most infected areas in the country. Then, when they get there, they have to be quarantined, then after quarantine, they attend the ceremony. Lots of hassle for no really good reason.
They are flying to their next duty station anyway...what is your malfunction?....you think Trump wants to give a speech?....he can do that anytime he wants.....this is for the graduates not Trump.....we don't have a virtual Navy sailor......get that through your head....stop with the TDS accusations....

No, they aren't necessarily flying to their next duty station. I was a PN, meaning I did the paperwork for the command. And, if you DON'T have a POV (Privately Owned Vehicle), then the military will find you a plane ticket. If you go via POV, you get 350 miles/day in travel time.

If you don't have a POV, then the military will provide you with a plane ticket to get to your next duty station. If it is in the continental US, then you only get one day travel time.

I'm guessing that most of these cadets have their own vehicles.

OMG...its like arguing two year old....after graduation 90% of them will travel by train plane bus or car I can guarantee you none of them are worried about flying to a graduation ceremony....

Really? You can guarantee that? How many of the cadets do you know?
I have known and met many Navy academy grads in my life and never met one that didn't want to attend his or her own graduation....they work their asses off to get to that point....and not one of them wants to do a virtual graduation and miss seeing the president of the United States.....no matter how thick your TDS has become.....

Really? You know a lot of them? Ask them if they would have been willing to go back to graduation during a pandemic, after already being sent home and told they would have a virtual graduation?
You keep ignoring the fact that they will be traveling the very next day....why do you do that?...why not just admit you are wrong?....

I'm sure the West Point graduates were happy to go back and felt honored that CIC Trump wanted to be the commencement speaker at their graduation.
It was a once in a life time event. ... :salute:
For some of them it might just be. We already lost a sailor aboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt.

The military volunteered to risk life and limb to protect the freedoms of this country. But to soothe the presidents ego, isn't a reason to risk traveling by public transportation all the way back to west point, and home again.

Well, it seems that Trump shows yet again how little he cares for our military. When COVID19 broke out, the military academies all sent their students home to finish out the year via remote schooling. The US Naval Academy has decided that calling all it's graduates back would be dangerous to the cadets, and so they are doing a virtual ceremony.

West Point graduates aren't so lucky. They were at home, but now will have to come back for graduation to hear Trump give a speech. Not only will they have to return under dangerous conditions (travel is risky right now), but they will also have to be quarantined before the graduation, and then, travel back under dangerous conditions home, just because Trump needs his ego stroked.

Does anyone else think that this is unnecessarily putting our military graduates at risk? I do. I mean, even the US Naval Academy says that bringing the cadets back for graduation is a bad idea, which is why they are doing it virtually.

Still think Trump cares about the military? I don't.

WASHINGTON — For President Trump, who adores the pomp and precision of military ceremonies, this was the year he would finally get one of the special perks of being president — delivering the commencement address at West Point, the only service academy where he has not spoken.
But the graduation was postponed because of the coronavirus, the cadets were sent home and officials at the school were not sure when it would be held or even whether it was a good idea to hold it.
The Naval Academy, for its part, decided it was too risky to recall its nearly 1,000 graduating midshipmen to Annapolis, Md., for a commencement. Those graduates will have a virtual event. But the Air Force Academy, in contrast to the other schools, sent home its underclassmen, locked down its seniors on campus, moved up graduation, mandated social distancing — and went ahead with plans for Vice President Mike Pence to be its speaker.
And so last Friday, the day before Mr. Pence was to speak at the Air Force ceremony in Colorado, Mr. Trump, never one to be upstaged, abruptly announced that he would, in fact, be speaking at West Point.

That was news to everyone, including officials at West Point, according to three people involved with or briefed on the event. The academy had been looking at the option of a delayed presidential commencement in June, but had yet to complete any plans. With Mr. Trump’s pre-emptive statement, they are now summoning 1,000 cadets scattered across the country to return to campus in New York, the state that is the center of the outbreak.
Not everyone in the military is as chickenshit as you GayBikerSailor.

I'm sure the West Point graduates were happy to go back and felt honored that CIC Trump wanted to be the commencement speaker at their graduation.
For some of them it might just be. We already lost a sailor aboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt.

The military volunteered to risk life and limb to protect the freedoms of this country. But to soothe the presidents ego, isn't a reason to risk traveling by public transportation all the way back to west point, and home again.

Why would they go home again? Most have their Basic Officer Leadership Course (BOLC) to attend to learn their warfare specialty.

Trump is their commander and chief...if they didn't want to serve under him they didn't have to...we have an all volunteer military....

Trump is their commander and chief...if they didn't want to serve under him they didn't have to...we have an all volunteer military....

Not after their sophomore year, they are committed! They cannot unvolunteer. My daughter had a 5-year commitment after graduation. She had 4 years for her college and an additional year for getting her guaranteed warfare specialty.

Few schools around here are still doing graduation ceramonies. Kids are ecstatic.
Of course they dont get punished by listening to the peaches in chief talk out of his fat ass.

Why would NY test them? Isn't that the Army's job in this case?
Returning seniors would be tested off-campus for the coronavirus. Those who test negative will then be sent to the school, where they will be monitored for 14 days before graduation.

West Point superintendent Lt. General Darryl Williams told the NYT: “All 1,000 of them will not intermix.

“They’ll be in their rooms. They’ll have their masks on. Groups will be segregated in the mess hall when they eat.”

Well, it seems that Trump shows yet again how little he cares for our military. When COVID19 broke out, the military academies all sent their students home to finish out the year via remote schooling. The US Naval Academy has decided that calling all it's graduates back would be dangerous to the cadets, and so they are doing a virtual ceremony.

West Point graduates aren't so lucky. They were at home, but now will have to come back for graduation to hear Trump give a speech. Not only will they have to return under dangerous conditions (travel is risky right now), but they will also have to be quarantined before the graduation, and then, travel back under dangerous conditions home, just because Trump needs his ego stroked.

Does anyone else think that this is unnecessarily putting our military graduates at risk? I do. I mean, even the US Naval Academy says that bringing the cadets back for graduation is a bad idea, which is why they are doing it virtually.

WASHINGTON — For President Trump, who adores the pomp and precision of military ceremonies, this was the year he would finally get one of the special perks of being president — delivering the commencement address at West Point, the only service academy where he has not spoken.
But the graduation was postponed because of the coronavirus, the cadets were sent home and officials at the school were not sure when it would be held or even whether it was a good idea to hold it.
The Naval Academy, for its part, decided it was too risky to recall its nearly 1,000 graduating midshipmen to Annapolis, Md., for a commencement. Those graduates will have a virtual event. But the Air Force Academy, in contrast to the other schools, sent home its underclassmen, locked down its seniors on campus, moved up graduation, mandated social distancing — and went ahead with plans for Vice President Mike Pence to be its speaker.
And so last Friday, the day before Mr. Pence was to speak at the Air Force ceremony in Colorado, Mr. Trump, never one to be upstaged, abruptly announced that he would, in fact, be speaking at West Point.

That was news to everyone, including officials at West Point, according to three people involved with or briefed on the event. The academy had been looking at the option of a delayed presidential commencement in June, but had yet to complete any plans. With Mr. Trump’s pre-emptive statement, they are now summoning 1,000 cadets scattered across the country to return to campus in New York, the state that is the center of the outbreak.
I think you're like chicken little and live your pathetic, pitiful, useless and insignificant existence in total fear.
I think that Trump should stay home and keep his mouth shut for a welcome change.

Why would NY test them? Isn't that the Army's job in this case?
Returning seniors would be tested off-campus for the coronavirus. Those who test negative will then be sent to the school, where they will be monitored for 14 days before graduation.

West Point superintendent Lt. General Darryl Williams told the NYT: “All 1,000 of them will not intermix.

“They’ll be in their rooms. They’ll have their masks on. Groups will be segregated in the mess hall when they eat.”

that grifter never stops grandstanding.

Test are available and every cadet that returns and attendee would have been tested...so calm down Soupy Sales....
So they will be tested. So what does that have to do with putting them at risk? They will be exposed.

I think you're like chicken little and live your pathetic, pitiful, useless and insignificant existence in total fear.

Wrong. I'm a retired U.S. Navy sailor, served from 1982 until 2002, and was in 4 different war zones. Unlike you, I actually understand the problem with pulling all these cadets back for graduation. You think it's okay to call them all back, exposing them to greater risk of getting the virus, just so Trump can give his speech?

Why do you hate the military?
This is an example of Trump's insensitivity to others.

Forum List

Back