West Point graduates called back to school for graduation and Trump speech........

ABikerSailor

Diamond Member
Aug 26, 2008
Newberry, SC
Well, it seems that Trump shows yet again how little he cares for our military. When COVID19 broke out, the military academies all sent their students home to finish out the year via remote schooling. The US Naval Academy has decided that calling all it's graduates back would be dangerous to the cadets, and so they are doing a virtual ceremony.

West Point graduates aren't so lucky. They were at home, but now will have to come back for graduation to hear Trump give a speech. Not only will they have to return under dangerous conditions (travel is risky right now), but they will also have to be quarantined before the graduation, and then, travel back under dangerous conditions home, just because Trump needs his ego stroked.

Does anyone else think that this is unnecessarily putting our military graduates at risk? I do. I mean, even the US Naval Academy says that bringing the cadets back for graduation is a bad idea, which is why they are doing it virtually.

Still think Trump cares about the military? I don't.

WASHINGTON — For President Trump, who adores the pomp and precision of military ceremonies, this was the year he would finally get one of the special perks of being president — delivering the commencement address at West Point, the only service academy where he has not spoken.
But the graduation was postponed because of the coronavirus, the cadets were sent home and officials at the school were not sure when it would be held or even whether it was a good idea to hold it.
The Naval Academy, for its part, decided it was too risky to recall its nearly 1,000 graduating midshipmen to Annapolis, Md., for a commencement. Those graduates will have a virtual event. But the Air Force Academy, in contrast to the other schools, sent home its underclassmen, locked down its seniors on campus, moved up graduation, mandated social distancing — and went ahead with plans for Vice President Mike Pence to be its speaker.
And so last Friday, the day before Mr. Pence was to speak at the Air Force ceremony in Colorado, Mr. Trump, never one to be upstaged, abruptly announced that he would, in fact, be speaking at West Point.

That was news to everyone, including officials at West Point, according to three people involved with or briefed on the event. The academy had been looking at the option of a delayed presidential commencement in June, but had yet to complete any plans. With Mr. Trump’s pre-emptive statement, they are now summoning 1,000 cadets scattered across the country to return to campus in New York, the state that is the center of the outbreak.

Well, it seems that Trump shows yet again how little he cares for our military. When COVID19 broke out, the military academies all sent their students home to finish out the year via remote schooling. The US Naval Academy has decided that calling all it's graduates back would be dangerous to the cadets, and so they are doing a virtual ceremony.

West Point graduates aren't so lucky. They were at home, but now will have to come back for graduation to hear Trump give a speech. Not only will they have to return under dangerous conditions (travel is risky right now), but they will also have to be quarantined before the graduation, and then, travel back under dangerous conditions home, just because Trump needs his ego stroked.

Does anyone else think that this is unnecessarily putting our military graduates at risk? I do. I mean, even the US Naval Academy says that bringing the cadets back for graduation is a bad idea, which is why they are doing it virtually.

WASHINGTON — For President Trump, who adores the pomp and precision of military ceremonies, this was the year he would finally get one of the special perks of being president — delivering the commencement address at West Point, the only service academy where he has not spoken.
But the graduation was postponed because of the coronavirus, the cadets were sent home and officials at the school were not sure when it would be held or even whether it was a good idea to hold it.
The Naval Academy, for its part, decided it was too risky to recall its nearly 1,000 graduating midshipmen to Annapolis, Md., for a commencement. Those graduates will have a virtual event. But the Air Force Academy, in contrast to the other schools, sent home its underclassmen, locked down its seniors on campus, moved up graduation, mandated social distancing — and went ahead with plans for Vice President Mike Pence to be its speaker.
And so last Friday, the day before Mr. Pence was to speak at the Air Force ceremony in Colorado, Mr. Trump, never one to be upstaged, abruptly announced that he would, in fact, be speaking at West Point.

That was news to everyone, including officials at West Point, according to three people involved with or briefed on the event. The academy had been looking at the option of a delayed presidential commencement in June, but had yet to complete any plans. With Mr. Trump’s pre-emptive statement, they are now summoning 1,000 cadets scattered across the country to return to campus in New York, the state that is the center of the outbreak.
I think you're like chicken little and live your pathetic, pitiful, useless and insignificant existence in total fear.

I think you're like chicken little and live your pathetic, pitiful, useless and insignificant existence in total fear.

Wrong. I'm a retired U.S. Navy sailor, served from 1982 until 2002, and was in 4 different war zones. Unlike you, I actually understand the problem with pulling all these cadets back for graduation. You think it's okay to call them all back, exposing them to greater risk of getting the virus, just so Trump can give his speech?

Why do you hate the military?

They can't cower under their beds forever. :dunno:

Every kid that's getting robbed of going to dances and graduation and parties is jealous I bet.

iu

:eusa_whistle:

They can't cower under their beds forever. :dunno:

Every kid that's getting robbed of going to dances and graduation and parties is jealous I bet.

So, subjecting new graduates to exposure that isn't required is a good thing in your book? If you had watched 60 Minutes last night, you would have seen the negative impact this virus is having on the military.

They showed parts of what Army boot camp is like, and it has drastically changed.

Wrong. I'm a retired U.S. Navy sailor, served from 1982 until 2002, and was in 4 different war zones. Unlike you, I actually understand the problem with pulling all these cadets back for graduation. You think it's okay to call them all back, exposing them to greater risk of getting the virus, just so Trump can give his speech?

What do the cadets say about it?

Dick Head is a Putin troll.

It was proposed by the Academy and previous graduates.

Wrong. If it was proposed by West Point, then why did it take them by surprise? From the link in the OP.

Well, considering that Trump saying that they were coming back from their speech took West Point by surprise, I'd be willing to bet most of the cadets aren't too happy about it. They had been sent home and told they were going to have a virtual graduation, so many of them may have plans they have to cancel because of this.

Never mind the risk of exposure traveling through a state that is a hot spot for the virus, the hassle of being quarantined, and then the hours long ceremony that is graduation.

I was in the military for seven friggin years dufus, including on the ground in Vietnam getting my ass shot at. Not safely out at sea on an ocean cruise writing letters home to mama. I wasn't in a war zone, I was in a fucking war.

Last edited:

well. he needs to campaign somewhere. the daily clown show seems to have failed.

Test are available and every cadet that returns and attendee would have been tested...so calm down Soupy Sales....

It's an order. A stupid order, but still an order.

Forum List

Back