Well? What did you have for dinner tonight??

I had pizza last night. I have a new train wreck. I am making a meatloaf sandwich on ciabatta with bacon, cheddar and tomato relish. It's the relish I get to play with because I have never even heard of it. In order to make that I need to make pickled mustard seeds. View attachment 635015View attachment 635016

Pickled mustard seeds?! Okay, you HAVE to come back and tell us how this turned out.

Ooh, I finally found the box that I had packed my recipe books in when we moved. I can finally start cooking something other than what's in my own memory.

Pickled mustard seeds?! Okay, you HAVE to come back and tell us how this turned out.

Ooh, I finally found the box that I had packed my recipe books in when we moved. I can finally start cooking something other than what's in my own memory.
I know, right? There is a horrific irresistible factor to it. It could suck so bad; therefore, I HAVE TO TRY IT. I can't stop it.

If my son speaks about child abuse perpetrated by his mother, its because I assaulted his taste buds.

I'm glad you found your books and I hope you will be posting some recipes.

I know, right? There is a horrific irresistible factor to it. It could suck so bad; therefore, I HAVE TO TRY IT. I can't stop it.

If my son speaks about child abuse perpetrated by his mother, its because I assaulted his taste buds.

I'm glad you found your books and I hope you will be posting some recipes.

I've been delving into really old recipes and methods, the way people cooked things before we had tons of computerized gadgets to do everything for us. My feeling is that if you really know and understand the basics behind cooking, you'll be better at it even with the gadgets.

Also, let's face it, the results with modern time-saving methods and pre-prepared ingedients just aren't as good. My mom used to make banana pudding when I was a kid, and I hated it. I also would never touch anything with meringue on it (still won't, unless it's produced by a cook I know I can trust), because it was always reminiscent of styrofoam. Then I found an old recipe for Southern banana pudding with meringue, made entirely from scratch, with tips on how to get the best results (always whip your meringue in a glass or metal bowl, never plastic). Completely different animal from what I always thought banana pudding was. Real banana pudding is practically a religious experience.

I've been delving into really old recipes and methods, the way people cooked things before we had tons of computerized gadgets to do everything for us. My feeling is that if you really know and understand the basics behind cooking, you'll be better at it even with the gadgets.

Also, let's face it, the results with modern time-saving methods and pre-prepared ingedients just aren't as good. My mom used to make banana pudding when I was a kid, and I hated it. I also would never touch anything with meringue on it (still won't, unless it's produced by a cook I know I can trust), because it was always reminiscent of styrofoam. Then I found an old recipe for Southern banana pudding with meringue, made entirely from scratch, with tips on how to get the best results (always whip your meringue in a glass or metal bowl, never plastic). Completely different animal from what I always thought banana pudding was. Real banana pudding is practically a religious experience.
That is really cool. I look forward to reading your posts.

I have had excellent banana pudding. I have never been able to duplicate it. I've never even tried to make meringue because it is so easy to just be yucky. So, you gotta share how you achieve that kind of nirvana.

Absolutely. I tell people this all the time.
We buy almost nothing pre-prepared. Exceptions are condiments like ketchup/mustard.. pretty much it.
I see people buying stuff like boxed pancake mixes that taste like cardboard. FFS - making pancakes from scratch - maybe - takes 1 minute longer. Maybe. And taste 100 times better.
And then there is boiling. About the only thing you should boil is pasta and potatoes to make mashed potatoes. Not much else. Don't boil vegetables. Steam them. Not only is the texture not like mush... but it is also waaay better for you, as boiling removes vitamins.
I could go on for pages.

Absolutely. I tell people this all the time.
We buy almost nothing pre-prepared. Exceptions are condiments like ketchup/mustard.. pretty much it.
I see people buying stuff like boxed pancake mixes that taste like cardboard. FFS - making pancakes from scratch - maybe - takes 1 minute longer. Maybe. And taste 100 times better.
And then there is boiling. About the only thing you should boil is pasta and potatoes to make mashed potatoes. Not much else. Don't boil vegetables. Steam them. Not only is the texture not like mush... but it is also waaay better for you, as boiling removes vitamins.
I could go on for pages.

Except for pasta and mashed 'tatoes, I use boiling water primarily for blanching. Excellent for getting your veggies on the same page as your other food when you're cooking something where it's all mixed, like a casserole.

I boil collard greens and ribs before grilling. I boil a lot more and simmer. Eggs are boiled.

I steam my eggs when I need "hard-boiled eggs". They're much easier to shell that way.
I boil for one minute, put a lid on them, turn stove off, let it be for 20 minutes and drop them in ice water. I've found whether or not its easier to shell is dependent on the age of the eggs. Well, that and the temp.

Point being... boiling vegetables to oblivion is unfortunately how most people cook many veggies.
Steaming is easier, faster and produces better results without losing the nutrients like boiling.
Roasting veggies is also a great way to make veggies taste awesome.
Roasted cauliflower transforms a tasteless clump to a sweet/nutty flavor. Little S&P and thyme is awesome on them.

Making Pork Tenderloin and some roasted veggies (yellow squash/zuchini/onion/tomato)
Spice rub for the pork is a dusting of a scotch bonnet spice/tangerine hibiscus blend/S&P

OK. So, I used the recipe for pickled mustard seeds from the book and I wound up with carmalized seeds that didn't "bloom".

I tried this recipe Pickled Mustard Seeds • easy recipe • a farmgirl's dabbles but they still didn't "bloom". So, I used stone ground mustard instead.

I just ordered those mustard seeds from The Spice Way 2 days ago. I have everything put together so I will make it tomorrow.

I boil for one minute, put a lid on them, turn stove off, let it be for 20 minutes and drop them in ice water. I've found whether or not its easier to shell is dependent on the age of the eggs. Well, that and the temp.

I often have to work with other people's eggs (family gatherings at a relative's house, etc.) and have no idea how old they are. I bring them to room temperature, stack them carefully in a steamer basket, steam them for 15 minutes (I go 15 because I only ever do this with a large number of eggs; I won't bother for just a couple), plunge them in an ice bath, then peel them under running water. I prefer steaming because the yolk doesn't come out discolored with that weird green tinge, they're less likely to crack during the cooking, and the steam loosens the shell. Then, with peeling under running water, the water gets between the loosened shell and the egg, and helps it to come off easily and in large pieces.

This method is so reliable that I can even get my husband to do the shelling for me, which speeds up the process of cooking tremendously because we can form and assembly line.

Point being... boiling vegetables to oblivion is unfortunately how most people cook many veggies.
Steaming is easier, faster and produces better results without losing the nutrients like boiling.
Roasting veggies is also a great way to make veggies taste awesome.
Roasted cauliflower transforms a tasteless clump to a sweet/nutty flavor. Little S&P and thyme is awesome on them.

People have no creativity when it comes to veggies, or side dishes in general.

Totally ordering cheap pizza for dinner. I have a headache, and I have to go out later to do some extra work. Not even remotely interested in cooking, let alone running to the store for stuff to cook.

Taking my grandson back home to Tucson tomorrow, so I threw together what I have decided to call my Tuna Carnival Casserole, so named because it has lots of bright colors in it. Instead of adding peas to it, I add diced bell peppers in stoplight colors. Gives it more flavor and visual appeal. Tonight, because the store was completely out of green bell peppers (!) I used green onions instead of the yellow onions I usually use, and red, orange, and yellow bell peppers. I'm toying with the possibility of using crushed Flaming Hot potato chips instead of the usual plain chips to top it, just for some added kick.

Forum List

Back