Well, the Left finally convinced me. I am buying 2 guns! One for my wife, one for me.

I have never regretted the decision made 20 years ago to buy a 12-gauge and especially not the extra $20 the gunsmith charged to shorten the barrel to 1/8 inch longer than the legal minimum. Very handy as a bear gun when hiking and easy handling in confined quarters. Fortunately I have never had to use it but fire it several times each Springtime and then clean it. Typical loading is 1 rock sale, 1 lead shot (not too easy to buy these days - it's not "eco-friendly) , 1 rifled slug then to capacity with sabot rounds. I love those sabot rounds! Their short-range stopping power can't be beaten.

You need to rethink your loading. 00 buckshot from chamber to end of the tube. Your goal should not be to try to hurt an attacker. You should never shoot to hurt an attacker. You're shooting because your life is in danger. You need to stop the attack. You may not get a second shot and then what?

You never fire your gun if you're not willing to see your target dead. And you shouldn't be willing to see them dead unless it's you or them. And when it's you or them, salt is not your answer.

All my guns are stored hammer back and loaded. You're a criminal loving liar.

Outside of the safe, single-action hammer guns (1911s for me) are condition 1, hammer back, thumb safety on. No racking slides to give bad guys an aiming spot and time to shoot. Striker or hammerless are stored ready to shoot.

In the safe, I don't keep one in the chamber. If I have to get a gun out of the safe it isn't an emergency or, even if it is, the whole operation is slow enough that the seconds to rack a slide doesn't matter.

Then again, I also have revolvers ready in and out of the safe. Nothing to do but point and shoot.
As far as pistols, double action revolver with hammer on empty chamber. 5 shots if it's a decent caliber. You have to make them count. Luckily this gun I have is a shooter! You have to aim low, but I was knocking a golf ball around with it.
Hit it like 7x until it rolled over a berm out of sight.

All John Wayne and shit.

Outside of the safe, single-action hammer guns (1911s for me) are condition 1, hammer back, thumb safety on. No racking slides to give bad guys an aiming spot and time to shoot. Striker or hammerless are stored ready to shoot.

In the safe, I don't keep one in the chamber. If I have to get a gun out of the safe it isn't an emergency or, even if it is, the whole operation is slow enough that the seconds to rack a slide doesn't matter.

Then again, I also have revolvers ready in and out of the safe. Nothing to do but point and shoot.
As far as pistols, double action revolver with hammer on empty chamber. 5 shots if it's a decent caliber. You have to make them count. Luckily this gun I have is a shooter! You have to aim low, but I was knocking a golf ball around with it.

All John Wayne and shit.
I don't think John Wayne could shoot as good as me. Or some of my kinfolk.
Only certain guns are shooters. This pistol is a shooter. My Marlin Model 60 is a shooter. My cousin's 20-gauge is a shooter. That damn Dan Wesson .44 is NOT. Some guns are, and some guns ain't.
Dude, I used to pop primers on shotgun shells with my Marlin Model 60. It goes where you want it to. Next up is my .06..that's satisfactorily accurate. Lemme think..yeah next is the pistol..ech, pistols.
I wanna get 2 semi-auto 20 gauges for home defense. I think that's the best solution.
One in each hand. :auiqs.jpg:

Last edited:

All John Wayne and shit.

Admittedly, I don't have much experience with six shooters, but I love them just the same. I'm more of a long gun type (308, 30.06) and semi auto handgun (.45, 9mm) type. I can't justify the antique pricing that comes with such finely made firearms like some of the local gunsmith revolvers I fancy. So I admire from afar for now.

All John Wayne and shit.

Admittedly, I don't have much experience with six shooters, but I love them just the same. I'm more of a long gun type (308, 30.06) and semi auto handgun (.45, 9mm) type. I can't justify the antique pricing that comes with such finely made firearms like some of the local gunsmith revolvers I fancy. So I admire from afar for now.
I got lucky with this. I just needed a pistol because I sometimes carry cash, and a friend had it. It's an "M&P Model 10-7" Very accurate. All I care about with guns is that they fire reliably and are accurate.
I had a Lorcin .25...not accurate, not a shooter. Dan Wesson .44..not accurate, not a shooter. Ruger Security 6 in .357...that was a fair enough shooter, still, not no .06 or Model 60. That model 60 I grew with ruined me!
Dammit, when each bullet touches the other, and sometimes you can put bullet on bullet? I had to broaden my horizons firing different guns.

My friends; with the Left rioting, looting, and trying to get rid of the police, even my wife who has been anti-gun since we have been married, has now agreed that we should purchase firearms. We live in a very nice sub-division, and my wife spoke to our local police chief about this last week. He also suggested that we purchase firearms, as we must protect ourselves if they can not get here on time should something happen in the current conditions. He also gave her a card for some group that if you join, they will give free legal protection, should you have to protect yourself, or your property, and use your firearm in the process. I told my wife, we will buy 3 of them. 2 pistols, and a semi automatic rifle of some sort.

Thank you Leftists, you have just propped up the gun lobby for years to come. I could never have seen my wife agreeing to have firearms in our home, but your idiocy has convinced her, not to mention that most of our neighbors told her they too had firearms.

I am going to have to take a class, as is my wife, to learn the ins and outs of when we can use them. But let me tell you all------------>when it is legal to open fire on these thugs, I WILL!
Sounds like he frightened you into buying a gun. You should never buy a gun out of fear. You'll shoot your eye out.

My friends; with the Left rioting, looting, and trying to get rid of the police, even my wife who has been anti-gun since we have been married, has now agreed that we should purchase firearms. We live in a very nice sub-division, and my wife spoke to our local police chief about this last week. He also suggested that we purchase firearms, as we must protect ourselves if they can not get here on time should something happen in the current conditions. He also gave her a card for some group that if you join, they will give free legal protection, should you have to protect yourself, or your property, and use your firearm in the process. I told my wife, we will buy 3 of them. 2 pistols, and a semi automatic rifle of some sort.

Thank you Leftists, you have just propped up the gun lobby for years to come. I could never have seen my wife agreeing to have firearms in our home, but your idiocy has convinced her, not to mention that most of our neighbors told her they too had firearms.

I am going to have to take a class, as is my wife, to learn the ins and outs of when we can use them. But let me tell you all------------>when it is legal to open fire on these thugs, I WILL!

You opened a thread to announce to many people in this forum that don't even care, that you're buying firearms out of ignorance and fear. Wonderful. I don't care how you want to throw money away, but PLEASE get certified firearms training of some sort and visit the firing range, because it will never be legal to open fire on any American for no reason. You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of 2A if you want to use it to wantonly murder people, and I hope it doesn't get you killed.
For this post I hope Tyrone and co. dilate your sphincter before turning out the lights.
When you talk about sphincters you always sound like you have recent and ingrained experience. The words you use paint a vivid picture as if you are reliving the experience.

Last edited:
Hit it like 7x until it rolled over a berm out of sight. That's just a pistol, I'd do much better with my .22s and Mauser that I've had forever.

Hammer on an empty chamber is a myth except in much older revolvers. Every modern revolver has a transfer bar safety system that prevents the hammer from striking the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled - even if you beat the hammer with a hammer. If you use a revolver for personal defense, you need every round you have - all 8 in the case of some of mine, all 5 in some others.

Hit it like 7x until it rolled over a berm out of sight. That's just a pistol, I'd do much better with my .22s and Mauser that I've had forever.

Hammer on an empty chamber is a myth except in much older revolvers. Every modern revolver has a transfer bar safety system that prevents the hammer from striking the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled - even if you beat the hammer with a hammer. If you use a revolver for personal defense, you need every round you have - all 8 in the case of some of mine, all 5 in some others.

This isn't a "modern revolver" An actual firing pin on the hammer strikes the primer.
I can buy time to get me to the next gun with it. Largely if you put 2 down, the rest will flee.

An interesting article on the Iver Johnson Safety Automatic - the first transfer bar revolver from 1894.

This isn't a "modern revolver" An actual firing pin on the hammer strikes the primer.
I can buy time to get me to the next gun with it. Largely if you put 2 down, the rest will flee.

But you weren't talking about your gun when you mentioned an empty chamber; you were advising a new gun owner to keep only 5 rounds in a 6-shot revolver. It may not be exactly bad advice but it's useless from a safety perspective and takes away a round that that might be needed.

I want the OP to watch the video I posted and read about transfer bar safeties and make a choice from knowledge and not from ignorance or even my advice.

I run into a lot of self-proclaimed (not saying that's you) experts who say something like, "Yes, I know about transfer bars but I still keep the chamber under the hammer empty for safety purposes." That is a statement that absolutely proves they don't know anything about how a modern revolver works. It is absolutely, without a doubt, not helpful to keep an empty chamber under the pin of modern revolver.

All John Wayne and shit.

I got lucky with this. I just needed a pistol because I sometimes carry cash, and a friend had it. It's an "M&P Model 10-7" Very accurate. All I care about with guns is that they fire reliably and are accurate.
I had a Lorcin .25...not accurate, not a shooter. Dan Wesson .44..not accurate, not a shooter. Ruger Security 6 in .357...that was a fair enough shooter, still, not no .06 or Model 60. That model 60 I grew with ruined me!
Dammit, when each bullet touches the other, and sometimes you can put bullet on bullet? I had to broaden my horizons firing different guns.

I broke my cherry on that very same M&P 10-7! Small world. You've had an impressive bit of hardware. I had the ridiculous .44 mag nickel plated long barrel 'IE, Dirty Harry gun' for a few months. Worthless shot. Had to aim low at everything. The impact was the novelty that got old, quick. Traded it for an M1911 and still have it today.

You opened a thread to announce to many people in this forum that don't even care, that you're buying firearms out of ignorance and fear. Wonderful. I don't care how you want to throw money away, but PLEASE get certified firearms training of some sort and visit the firing range, because it will never be legal to open fire on any American for no reason. You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of 2A if you want to use it to wantonly murder people, and I hope it doesn't get you killed.
For this post I hope Tyrone and co. dilate your sphincter before turning out the lights.
When you talk about sphincters you always sound like you have recent and ingrained experience. The words you use paint a vivid picture as if you are reliving the experience.

I think he's crushing on me. Should I be alarmed?

You're not in the same cell with him. You'll be OK.

But you weren't talking about your gun when you mentioned an empty chamber; you were advising a new gun owner to keep only 5 rounds in a 6-shot revolver. It may not be exactly bad advice but it's useless from a safety perspective and takes away a round that that might be needed.

I want the OP to watch the video I posted and read about transfer bar safeties and make a choice from knowledge and not from ignorance or even my advice.

I run into a lot of self-proclaimed (not saying that's you) experts who say something like, "Yes, I know about transfer bars but I still keep the chamber under the hammer empty for safety purposes." That is a statement that absolutely proves they don't know anything about how a modern revolver works. It is absolutely, without a doubt, not helpful to keep an empty chamber under the pin of modern revolver.
Why not?

You're not in the same cell with him. You'll be OK.

Cool.

Nah. Hes harmless. All bark no bite.

Odds are you will shoot yourselves before you shoot looters or a burglar.

Nah. Hes harmless. All bark no bite.

It's been a roller coaster of an infatuation with politics and gay prison sex by my scope. Fucking weirdo. It's like a theme with him/her/it/whatever. No sir, I do not like it.

BTW: Great conversation today. I enjoy rational conversations here, as they are few and far between, so thank you.

Then you will need only two bullets. One for each gun when you find out that you won't get your way and take the only solution left to you.

Forum List

Back