Weight loss stories

Do yourself a favor and don't get on the scale more than once a week at the most - once a month is even better. Your weight will fluctuate during the day and from day to day depending on what you've eaten and how much or little you've been moving around.

Another tip: Gain muscle by lifting weights and don't stress out too much over cardio. You don't have to go to a gym or buy expensive equipment either. Muscle burns more calories than fat. You can get your heart rate up easily lifting weights if you circuit train. Learn the proper form though; it makes a huge difference.

If you need ideas for different activities to do, a quick search online will bring up many you can do at home.

Weigh yourself in the morning, before you've eaten. You will get your correct weight then. But don't weigh yourself the morning after you have had a massive meal.

Do yourself a favor and don't get on the scale more than once a week at the most - once a month is even better. Your weight will fluctuate during the day and from day to day depending on what you've eaten and how much or little you've been moving around.

Another tip: Gain muscle by lifting weights and don't stress out too much over cardio. You don't have to go to a gym or buy expensive equipment either. Muscle burns more calories than fat. You can get your heart rate up easily lifting weights if you circuit train. Learn the proper form though; it makes a huge difference.

If you need ideas for different activities to do, a quick search online will bring up many you can do at home.
Yep.

The tape measure and fat calipers are a more accurate measurement of your healthy weight. The scale is useful, but no one should become obsessed with it.

Thanks for the input, ACSY.

I do take exception with one sentence and would like to share how I keep my weight just perfect, for myself, which is staying slender, with weight fluctuations sometimes only, of 1 to 3 pounds in one day and that is by weighing myself every day. In the morning, before eating or drinking anything, I weigh. And if I am up, any, then that day, I cut back on salty, or fattening or carbs and foods that contain gluten, ( pasta, etc. ) and I lose that weight, overnight. Back to looking perfect and being healthy. It's worked like a charm for years. Learned it from my Mom and now my aunt practices the same plan, too. She also likes to stay very trim. We each exercise, walk and lift weights, also. We each drink about 12 glasses of water a day, too. We love to look good in clothes and we do what it takes to accomplish that.

Since muscle weighs more than fat, it is best to lose weight before starting a rigorous exercise program, or so I have read. Weight loss is faster, that way. Walking fast and small food portions are the key to my goal of staying in shape and healthy.

I tried the weighing once a week or month thing and never again, for it that weight is fat and not water, it can take a month of starving to lose it, if you have a metabolism like mine. :lol:

Last edited:
My weight loss story is one that I don't recommend to others. It entails being depressed and anxious, during periods of extreme emotional stress. It works great, but it makes you feel like hell. ;)

My weight loss story is one that I don't recommend to others. It entails being depressed and anxious, during periods of extreme emotional stress. It works great, but it makes you feel like hell. ;)

sounds like my plan

was down to 158.0 this morning. :)

even had some rice for dinner last night.

and had a beer on Tuesday.

Yup - Build muscle because they burn calories even while you sleep. Since muscle weigh more than fat the scale won't do a lot of good at measuring progress. But your clothes will fit much better & you will look & feel like a million bucks.

Since I was around 17 I guess to around age 28, I was around 145 pounds due to a mostly physical job and the amount I ate.

Then I got a job that had NO physical activity and I began eating more than double my normal amount.

Turns out I really wasn't eating enough, due to a variety of reasons. But I also wasn't exercising at all. Within say a year my weight went up to around 165 pounds.

Since I have a thin frame, these extra 20 pounds looks like a lot more. My face, my belly, looked like I had become overweight.

I hate how I look in the mirror. But I didn't know how to change this.

I tried losing weight by just dieting, but that didn't work.

I tried losing weight by just exercising, but that didn't work.

I went down to 158 pounds with massive amounts of exercise and barely eating any pasta, rice, or bread, but then I went on a vacation and scarfed that stuff down when I saw it, as I mentally felt very deprived.

A month ago I decided that I have to alter my eating in a way that wouldn't make me feel deprived, but would still reduce carbs and calories.

I also decided I had to return to exercising in a less aggressive way, so I would be able to do it more often and not feel like it was torture.

So now, I ride my exercise bike every other day, alternating at different resistance levels every 2 minutes for 10 minutes. I then do 10 push ups.

I am eating less bread, less rice, less pasta. But I still eat it. I still enjoy it.

I've gone from a maximum of around 167 pounds around a month ago, to 162.4 right now.

After exercising the night before I tend to lose almost 2 pounds in my sleep (mostly water), so I think I'll be aroud 160.5 tomorrow AM.

The goal, is at least 155. I want to see my cheekbones again. I want this damn gut to be gone, as its disgusting to see. I want my damn double-chin to be gone, as I feel like its a damn cartoon of who I should be.

Once I hit 155, how will I keep this up? Well, I guess Im just gonna have to keep exercising and watching my eating. I've found that I REALLY love apples, and those are great for keeping weight down. But its going to be hard.

What is your story? What is your suggestion for me for after I reach my goal?

Thanks.

Congratulations!! It is hard work to lose weight, which is why I won't gain any, for over one day.

I would recommend for you, the Weight Watchers approach to maintaining weight loss. It offers a little bit of all foods you would love. I hear Overeaters Anonymous works well, also, and know two people who go to monthly meetings and maintain their desired weight.

You might want to Google ( or otherwise ) gluten. Very counter-productive to weight loss. :) Best of luck to you...

Weigh yourself every morning as soon as you are out of bed, and have urinated..and before you consume anything.That is the secret to my weight control success, for years. :) If the scale reveals you are up by a pound or two, or more, then lay off all sweets, breads and most salt, and that weight should disappear overnight.

Just a tip.

Yes, Ive heard that drinking water is good for weight loss.

We retain water if the body feels it doesn't have enough water. Hydrate enough and you won't retain water, so they say.

I've been drinking lots of water because I know that the sugary stuff just means more fat.

The really hard part for me will be to make exercise a regular part of my lifestyle, forever.

A food plan is for maintaining weight.

Exercise if for fitness.

What I do: Avoid sugar and carbs, eat mostly vegetables, protein, and dairy...and a bit of fruit. Drink lots and lots of water. No hard liquor or beer, but wine in moderation.

And cappuccino. That is a basic food group.

158.4, after eating and exercising.

I expect to hit 157.0 tomorrow am.

two pounds away from my goal.

:)

You are doing well.

I have reached the stage where I am not losing any more weight, I am gaining muscle instead. Imagine my horror to step on the scales and find that I weighed a little more than the previous week, even though my diet and exercise regime hadn't changed. I did realise quite quickly that it was simply muscle on my legs and upper body that I was gaining.

yeah, i wish i knew how much muscle i was gaining.

i was down to 157.4 this morning, and im right now 158.2

i usually lose around a pound over night, so we'll see how I ma tomorrow.

its become a mission...from God. ;)

th

yeah, i wish i knew how much muscle i was gaining.

Yeah... that's tricky. Since I started working out my weight has leveled off, but I'm reasonably sure I'm still losing fat. Just never clear how much. I guess there are accurate weighs to measure body fat percentage, but I've never really gone there.

157.6......after dinner and exercise.

hopefully I'll see 156.8 tomorow. :)

Forum List

Back