We need to stop over-reacting to the Coronavirus.

The economy is being harmed by the Coronavirus hysteria created by the mainstream media. The virus itself will not harm our economy that much as long as we don't over-react. Most of the damage being done by the Coronavirus is being done by people talking about it and over-reacting. Contrast this with how well the world handled the flu pandemic of 1918. The stock market in the USA actually only dropped about 5% that year.

To put things into perspective, the 1918 flu killed about 50,000,000 people out of 1.6 billion. Today, that would be proportional to a virus killing about 215 million people worldwide. That sounds like it would be devastating, except if there was no global market crash in 1918, there is certainly no reason for us to panic and create one today.

We need to stop panicking, stoically let the virus run its course and keep working or we might suffer an economic depression.
The economy was very different then. It was not as globally interconnected, and many countries simply did not impact our economy as much as they do now. If we don't slow the spread of the coronavirus, our health infrastructure will be overwhelmed. You think there are panic and too many shutdowns now? Imagine communities in the midst of crisis where high school gyms are primitive triages without medical supplies, and patients are being prioritized as to who gets medical care. Imagine communities where banking services have stalled, and food distribution centers cease to operate, for even a week. Managing the pace of this is far preferable to waiting to get smacked by it.
Sounds like Trump gets it.
I think he gets how bad this is, but I wish he’d stop making stupid statements (like claiming FDA approved a treatment).

The drug in question has been approved by the FDA, just not the use of it in coronavirus cases.

Nothing "stupid" about it except your misunderstanding of your President's statement.
I didn’t misunderstand anything. Trump misspoke.

The economy is being harmed by the Coronavirus hysteria created by the mainstream media. The virus itself will not harm our economy that much as long as we don't over-react. Most of the damage being done by the Coronavirus is being done by people talking about it and over-reacting. Contrast this with how well the world handled the flu pandemic of 1918. The stock market in the USA actually only dropped about 5% that year.

To put things into perspective, the 1918 flu killed about 50,000,000 people out of 1.6 billion. Today, that would be proportional to a virus killing about 215 million people worldwide. That sounds like it would be devastating, except if there was no global market crash in 1918, there is certainly no reason for us to panic and create one today.

We need to stop panicking, stoically let the virus run its course and keep working or we might suffer an economic depression.
The economy was very different then. It was not as globally interconnected, and many countries simply did not impact our economy as much as they do now. If we don't slow the spread of the coronavirus, our health infrastructure will be overwhelmed. You think there are panic and too many shutdowns now? Imagine communities in the midst of crisis where high school gyms are primitive triages without medical supplies, and patients are being prioritized as to who gets medical care. Imagine communities where banking services have stalled, and food distribution centers cease to operate, for even a week. Managing the pace of this is far preferable to waiting to get smacked by it.
I think he gets how bad this is, but I wish he’d stop making stupid statements (like claiming FDA approved a treatment).
About that, why is the FDA dragging their feet on the Malaria drug? It's not like we don't know anything about it, cause it's been around for 50 years. It it works, even moderately, get it out there.
The drug is already out there.

But it’s not FDA approved for Coronavirus. To get approval you need to demonstrate efficacy. That hasn’t happened yet.

Lack of approval from the FDA doesn't mean that physicians can't legally and ethically prescribe it immediately for CV

EVERYTHING IS GOING GREAT

Assuming that the chart has a solid scientific basis, and that's a big if ,

the chart does NOT differentiate between those individuals who are actually infected with the NEW - weaponized - strain - and those who acquired immunity because like me - they are old farts who sometime in our lives were exposed to the coronavirus.

So stop disinforming and eat your checkers.

Those are numbers reported out of CDC on new cases diagnosed by PCR. Since these are PCR tests, not immunologic assays, they reflect active disease, not prior exposure.

WHAT ?!?!?!?!?

PCR tests detects any trace of the coronavirus , which again, has been around for many years.

Active infections can ONLY be detected via Immunoglobulin Tests - looking for the presence of IG M's - which no country is presently using.

Again, stop disinforming and eat your checkers, please.

PCR tests detect specific sequences of RNA in this case. Since the virus has been sequenced, it’s entirely specific to this Coronavirus. In order to detect the viral RNA, the virus has to be actively replicating, otherwise known as an infection.

"At the center of all of this chaos is a relatively straightforward type of test called a polymerase chain reaction, or PCR, that’s been around for decades. To run it, a doctor swabs a patient’s nose or throat and sends the sample to a lab. The lab then looks for tiny snippets of the virus’s genetic material."

Yes, that’s exactly what I said. I said specific sequences (tiny snippets) of RNA (genetic material).

Tell me why an old fart who isn’t currently infected would have tiny snippets of the viruses genetic material hanging around their throat?

A Rapid Blood Test To Determine the *****Active Status**** and Duration of ******Acute Viral Infection.******
Zheng T1, Finn C2, Parrett CJ2, Dhume K2, Hwang JH2, Sidhom D2, Strutt TM2, Li Sip YY2, McKinstry KK2, Huo Q1.
Author information

Abstract
The ability to rapidly detect and diagnose acute viral infections is crucial for infectious disease control and management. Serology testing for the presence of virus-elicited antibodies in blood is one of the methods used commonly for clinical diagnosis of viral infections. However, standard serology-based tests have a significant limitation: they cannot easily distinguish active from past, historical infections. As a result, it is difficult to determine whether a patient is currently infected with a virus or not, and on an optimal course of action, based off of positive serology testing responses. Here, we report a nanoparticle-enabled blood test that can help overcome this major challenge. The new test is based on the analysis of virus-elicited immunoglobulin G (IgG) antibody present in the protein corona of a gold nanoparticle surface upon mixing the gold nanoparticles with blood sera. Studies conducted on mouse models of influenza A virus infection show that the test gives positive responses only in the presence of a recent acute viral infection, approximately between day 14 and day 21 following the infection, and becomes negative thereafter. When used together with the traditional serology testing, the nanoparticle test can determine clearly whether a positive serology response is due to a recent or historical viral infection. This new blood test can provide critical clinical information needed to optimize further treatment and/or to determine if further quarantining should be continued.

About that, why is the FDA dragging their feet on the Malaria drug? It's not like we don't know anything about it, cause it's been around for 50 years. It it works, even moderately, get it out there.

But it’s not FDA approved for Coronavirus. To get approval you need to demonstrate efficacy. That hasn’t happened yet.

Lack of approval from the FDA doesn't mean that physicians can't legally and ethically prescribe it immediately for CV

Yes, I know.

But Trump said the FDA approved it. That’s not true.

How long are we willing to wait while cases pile up? We're willing to essentially destroy our economy, put millions out of work, demoralize the country, but we can't use a drug that shows promise fighting the disease that we know won't harm?

Those are numbers reported out of CDC on new cases diagnosed by PCR. Since these are PCR tests, not immunologic assays, they reflect active disease, not prior exposure.

WHAT ?!?!?!?!?

PCR tests detects any trace of the coronavirus , which again, has been around for many years.

Active infections can ONLY be detected via Immunoglobulin Tests - looking for the presence of IG M's - which no country is presently using.

PCR tests detect specific sequences of RNA in this case. Since the virus has been sequenced, it’s entirely specific to this Coronavirus. In order to detect the viral RNA, the virus has to be actively replicating, otherwise known as an infection.

"At the center of all of this chaos is a relatively straightforward type of test called a polymerase chain reaction, or PCR, that’s been around for decades. To run it, a doctor swabs a patient’s nose or throat and sends the sample to a lab. The lab then looks for tiny snippets of the virus’s genetic material."

Yes, that’s exactly what I said. I said specific sequences (tiny snippets) of RNA (genetic material).

Tell me why an old fart who isn’t currently infected would have tiny snippets of the viruses genetic material hanging around their throat?

A Rapid Blood Test To Determine the *****Active Status**** and Duration of ******Acute Viral Infection.******
Zheng T1, Finn C2, Parrett CJ2, Dhume K2, Hwang JH2, Sidhom D2, Strutt TM2, Li Sip YY2, McKinstry KK2, Huo Q1.
Author information

Abstract
The ability to rapidly detect and diagnose acute viral infections is crucial for infectious disease control and management. Serology testing for the presence of virus-elicited antibodies in blood is one of the methods used commonly for clinical diagnosis of viral infections. However, standard serology-based tests have a significant limitation: they cannot easily distinguish active from past, historical infections. As a result, it is difficult to determine whether a patient is currently infected with a virus or not, and on an optimal course of action, based off of positive serology testing responses. Here, we report a nanoparticle-enabled blood test that can help overcome this major challenge. The new test is based on the analysis of virus-elicited immunoglobulin G (IgG) antibody present in the protein corona of a gold nanoparticle surface upon mixing the gold nanoparticles with blood sera. Studies conducted on mouse models of influenza A virus infection show that the test gives positive responses only in the presence of a recent acute viral infection, approximately between day 14 and day 21 following the infection, and becomes negative thereafter. When used together with the traditional serology testing, the nanoparticle test can determine clearly whether a positive serology response is due to a recent or historical viral infection. This new blood test can provide critical clinical information needed to optimize further treatment and/or to determine if further quarantining should be continued.
Cute. You found a research paper on an experimental test which is not being used.

What’s your point?

Yes, I know.

The FDA approved the drug years ago. So it is true.

BTW, no one who listened to the President were mislead by his statements. The people know that FDA approval for a particular condition takes a considerable time, they aren't stupid.

Yes, I know.

BTW, no one who listened to the President were mislead by his statements. The people know that FDA approval for a particular condition takes a considerable time, they aren't stupid.

Do you actually think that Trump was applauding the FDA for quickly approving chloroquine in 1949?

Honestly?

Covid-19 is now in my city. We can expect the number of cases to grow exponentially for at least a short time, then we will see if our measures currently in place slow this rate.

Yes, I know.

Do you actually think that Trump was applauding the FDA for quickly approving chloroquine in 1949?

Honestly?

No.

He was applauding Mr. Kushner and his other aides for discovering the utility of a drug that the FDA approved 70 years ago in treating this newly isolated pathogen.

Not really.

All it shows is that more testing has been done.

The vast majority of people who contract COVID19 will not die and many of them will have symptoms so minor they will not need to seek medical attention

Unfortunately that’s just not the case. Due to lack of testing availability, only the sickest people are tested. As you say, the majority don’t seek medical attention meaning the number is FAR higher.

so what, the number of unreported common colds is also very high. People with few or no symptoms are not going to get tested or report sick.
'

you libs keep whining about the lack of test kits. Tell us how the govt should have prepared millions of test kits for a virus that no one even knew would exist.

Hell man, test kits are just nasal swabs that are no different than those used for the typical influenza.

We had a few months to build up a capacity before it hit us. We are pretty far behind.

Most people who are infected with influenza never get tested , never get a nasal swab. They aren't that ill, most don't go to the doctor, and even those who do are usually not tested. With no cure, supportive and symptomatic care is all that is needed. Making the case "officially" an influenza is no benefit to the patient.

Unless you start developing life-threatening problems (like pneumonia), there's no point in going to a doctor with the flu. They're going to tell you to get lots of rest, drink plenty of fluids, and avoid contact with other people as much as possible. You already knew that, so why waste the time and money?

Wow... Ye guys have to stop reading propaganda...

This is a killer virus... It kills at 20 - 40 times higher than the flu.

I know you are in to individually (selfishness) over society. You have a duty to a society to take care not to carry a virus and infect other.

Thanks for showing us what you are, very much like Trump, self centered and total lack of empathy

WHAT ?!?!?!?!?

Author information

Abstract
Cute. You found a research paper on an experimental test which is not being used.

What’s your point?

You are a glutton for punishment

The Test is available NOW

Blood Test: Immunoglobulins (IgA, IgG, IgM)

The five subclasses of antibodies are:

1. Immunoglobulin A (IgA), which is found in high concentrations in the mucous membranes, particularly those lining the respiratory passages and gastrointestinal tract, as well as in saliva and tears.
  2. Immunoglobulin G (IgG), the most abundant type of antibody, is found in all body fluids and protects against bacterial and viral infections.
  3. Immunoglobulin M (IgM), which is found mainly in the blood and lymph fluid, is the first antibody to be made by the body to fight a new infection.
  4. Immunoglobulin E (IgE), which is associated mainly with allergic reactions (when the immune system overreacts to environmental antigens such as pollen or pet dander). It is found in the lungs, skin, and mucous membranes.
  5. Immunoglobulin D (IgD), which exists in small amounts in the blood, is the least understood antibody.

Yes, I know.

Honestly?

No.

He was applauding Mr. Kushner and his other aides for discovering the utility of a drug that the FDA approved 70 years ago in treating this newly isolated pathogen.
He literally said the FDA approved it. He said it.

Author information

Abstract

What’s your point?

You are a glutton for punishment

The Test is available NOW

Blood Test: Immunoglobulins (IgA, IgG, IgM)

The five subclasses of antibodies are:

1. Immunoglobulin A (IgA), which is found in high concentrations in the mucous membranes, particularly those lining the respiratory passages and gastrointestinal tract, as well as in saliva and tears.
  2. Immunoglobulin G (IgG), the most abundant type of antibody, is found in all body fluids and protects against bacterial and viral infections.
  3. Immunoglobulin M (IgM), which is found mainly in the blood and lymph fluid, is the first antibody to be made by the body to fight a new infection.
  4. Immunoglobulin E (IgE), which is associated mainly with allergic reactions (when the immune system overreacts to environmental antigens such as pollen or pet dander). It is found in the lungs, skin, and mucous membranes.
  5. Immunoglobulin D (IgD), which exists in small amounts in the blood, is the least understood antibody.

Yes, I’m well aware.

We are not using serological testing to diagnose COVID-19. We are using PCR testing.

Some labs are developing serological testing. We aren’t using it yet. New cases are diagnosed by PCR.

Covid-19 is in my county, now.

375,000 people. If 20% are infected, that's 75,000 people.

If the number of known cases doubles every 2 days, it will take about 33 days to reach that number. We are on day 4.

If 20% of those infected require inpatient care, that's 15,000 people.

My county has 1400 hospital beds.

This is why lockdowns are being put in place. If a drug comes out tomorrow that prevents all deaths from covid-19 in seriously ill people, they will still need to get proper medical care to get that drug.

Last edited:

With all due respects, ted, that's a load of shit.

Flu deaths FAR EXCEED those caused by the Obama-Biden Plague by many fold.

Many thousands of Americans assumed room temperature every year, courtesy of Influenza. The CV has only a handful of deaths in comparison.

I’m worried about people’s lives. What are you worried about?

Libs are concerned that this isn't sticking to Trump.
I’m concerned that we haven’t bent the curve.

View attachment 313819

Look at this and tell me everything is going great. I dare you.

the chart does NOT differentiate between those individuals who are actually infected with the NEW - weaponized - strain - and those who acquired immunity because like me - they are old farts who sometime in our lives were exposed to the coronavirus.

There is no natural immunity. It's a novel virus, dope.

Excuse me Dingle Berry, may I call you DB?

Corona viruses are not new. They were first identified as RNA viruses in 1970.

You should call me, sir.
Covid-19 is new, dope. Hence the term, novel.

With all due respects, ted, that's a load of shit.

Flu deaths FAR EXCEED those caused by the Obama-Biden Plague by many fold.

Many thousands of Americans assumed room temperature every year, courtesy of Influenza. The CV has only a handful of deaths in comparison.

Pushing someone out of a plane without a parachute has a very low mortality rate too.
At least for the first few minutes.

Libs are concerned that this isn't sticking to Trump.
I’m concerned that we haven’t bent the curve.

View attachment 313819

Look at this and tell me everything is going great. I dare you.

There is no natural immunity. It's a novel virus, dope.

Excuse me Dingle Berry, may I call you DB?

Corona viruses are not new. They were first identified as RNA viruses in 1970.

You should call me, sir.
Covid-19 is new, dope. Hence the term, novel.

Excuse me DB, Sir

Provide a link showing that Covid-19 is not a member of the coronavirus family and that the present tests can distinguish the different coronavirus strains.

I won't hold my breath.

Forum List

Back