CDZ We need a new board devoted to sci fi

There is this one show I have NEVER seen than seems to eco Star Trek BUT IS an alternate universe with
armed Americans v .Soviets in the 1980's

I love sci fi art work. My favorite is lets see.

343434.jpg
4088010680_d50c867bc5_o.jpg
FANTASTIC_STORY_SPRING_55.jpg
FANTASTIC_QUART_SUMMER50.jpg
STARTLING_JAN_50.jpg

THE MESSAGE WAS ALWAYS THE SAME: Man losing his humanity to the machine.

I would like to see a whole NEW genre of sci fi. Space ships without gravity , using cameras in a whole new way, or cinematography in a whole NEW way. No up, no down.. A new portrayal of space. And that goes for new
species OF BEINGS that just didnt have clay stuck on their foreheads like in Star trek or Dr. Who, entirely NEW species using actual science.

Arthur C Clarke had some intriguing theories about gravity, he being one my favourite authors of the genre. Childhood’s End in particular.

Dan Simmons, Vernor Vinge, Neil Stephenson, Lois McMaster Bujold, Orson Scott Card, William Gibson, John Varley, James Tiptree Junior, .....

I'm good.
URSULA LE GUIN. The left hand of darkness...I loved that book.

One of my all time favorite SF books. She is a brilliant writer. I would add Robert Heinlein Time Enough for Love and Arthur C Clarke Rendevous with Rama.
Have you ever read her novella "the word for the world is forest"?

The movie Avatar borrowed heavily from that one.

Yes. I've read most of her stuff. The Dispossessed is her best novel imho. The Left Hand of Darkness is also great.

Margaret Atwood wrote a SF novel called Oryx and Crake that is brilliant. Highly recommend it. Orson Scott Card is excellent as well.

Robert Heinlein or Philip K. Dick. Harlan Ellison. I have no mouth and I must Scream? Do androids dream of electric sheep? Stranger in a strange land?
Wait, are you saying you want a forum dedicated to Dick?

:disbelief: :razz:

I would like to see a whole NEW genre of sci fi. Space ships without gravity , using cameras in a whole new way, or cinematography in a whole NEW way. No up, no down.. A new portrayal of space. And that goes for new
species OF BEINGS that just didnt have clay stuck on their foreheads like in Star trek or Dr. Who, entirely NEW species using actual science.
Have you seen the movie "Gravity"? Came across as pretty realistic. Plus, it had Sandra Bullock in it. Ha!

Have you seen the movie "Gravity"? Came across as pretty realistic. Plus, it had Sandra Bullock in it. Ha!

Some of it was okay.

Some of it got on my nerves.

Some of it was okay.

I thought they did a fairly realistic job on the properties of motion and inertia.

The reentry wasn't very realistic though.

I am an old (not kidding) sci fi fan. Old stuff. Because we can create CGI movies and literally convert them digital reality. Starting with the story "the Weapons Shop" by AE Van Vogt ." the right to own weapons is the right to be free" .

Last edited:

Some of it was okay.

I thought they did a fairly realistic job on the properties of motion and inertia.

After Apollo 13, nothing else will do for me.

I still think Interstellar was brilliant, even though my puny brain is still trying to figure it all out.

A Space Odyssey captures the sheer vastness and loneliness of space. I don’t think, as a mere mortal, I could cope with that.

Some of it was okay.

Awful movie. That was me and my wife’s first date. We often joke about how bad it was.

I’m 100% for a sci-if thread.

I posted a theory here on how the George Floyd incident was probably the work of the second foundation to use the riots to accelerate herd immunity.

I could live in such a sub forum. Love PKD, Ellison since forever. I have Stranger In A Strange Land but haven't read it yet. Last read A Wrinkle In Time by Madelaine L'Engle. I guess reread since it was a childhood book. No context back then. Now... it's even more amazing.

My favorites were Issac Asimov's Foundation Series.
Frank Herbert's Dune series and Destination Void series.
I really also liked Ray Bradbury, but many of his stories of Mars don't hold up today with the knowledge there is no detectable life there.

A modern show I believe on Amazon Prime I love is The Expanse. Far more realistic on how travel in space would be, including the Belters who have lived in space for several generations and never can come to Earth as their bodies have changed for low G. The show must be watched with subtitles as the accents are thick with the Belters speaking a mix of slang meshing many languages. Earth UN and the Mars Congressional Republic are close to war for the resources of the Asteroid Belt. Set about 500 years ahead.

See my above post on The Expanse.

Have no objection to anything that encourages reading. that said we do have a lot of Si Fi posted on this board.

Forum List

Back