CDZ We need a new board devoted to sci fi

I can't stand Jim Carrey. He lost it after In Living Color.

But at one time he was considered to play Michael Valentine Smith in a film version of Stranger in a Strange Land.

He would have been a good pick. Maybe the best choice.

While I am not much into sci fi, when I was in the Army a buddy turned me onto a really good book that I enjoyed immensely...

1597115379851.png

I met my first talking dawg at Callahan's...

MaryL you have my full fledged support, though I probably won't contribute much... Good luck presenting your case to management...

Robert Heinlein or Philip K. Dick. Harlan Ellison. I have no mouth and I must Scream? Do androids dream of electric sheep? Stranger in a strange land?
I'm a HUGE fan of the writings of Harlan Ellison. I had the great fortune of meeting Harlan a couple times in the Phoenix, Arizona area. He did "lectures" each of these times, and chatted and signed items afterwards. I believe he signed 7 or 8 items for me, in total, the two times I saw him. He was a fantastic speaker. He was intelligent, witty, clever, angry, and above all else, EXTREMELY funny. Both of these lectures and signing events were free to the public. I also met Ray Bradbury a couple times at lectures/signings. He was a true gentleman in every sense of the word.

• Banned
I would like to see a whole NEW genre of sci fi. Space ships without gravity , using cameras in a whole new way, or cinematography in a whole NEW way. No up, no down.. A new portrayal of space. And that goes for new
species OF BEINGS that just didnt have clay stuck on their foreheads like in Star trek or Dr. Who, entirely NEW species using actual science.

Been a long time since I read any, used to read it almost exclusively. Ursula LeGuin eas definitely one of the best, and I also liked CJ Cherry, Fritz Leiber, some Isamov, and others. A lot of it didn't age well with me, though, and when I tried to go back and reread old favorites I didn't succeed. For fiction I like Daniel Silva and David Baldacci now, James Lee Burke, Brad Thor, that sort of stuff.

I love sci fi art work. My favorite is lets see.

Attachments

• 1597117832553.png
    1597117832553.png
    181.9 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Dan Simmons, Vernor Vinge, Neil Stephenson, Lois McMaster Bujold, Orson Scott Card, William Gibson, John Varley, James Tiptree Junior, .....

I'm good.
I met Dan Simmons in Scottsdale, Arizona, at a lecture/signing event some years ago. He was interesting to listen to. He told us how he became interested in wanting to be a writer. He signed about five items for me afterwards. He was a very pleasant and soft-spoken man. I prefer his horror fiction to his science fiction. My favorite books by him are Carrion Comfort and Children of the Night, both horror novels. These are essential reading for any fan of horror fiction, IMO.

Robert Heinlein or Philip K. Dick. Harlan Ellison. I have no mouth and I must Scream? Do androids dream of electric sheep? Stranger in a strange land?

They released that whole " If'' Magazine series for free some place a couple years ago, in pdf form. It was pretty cool stuff, I have it some place I dunno where though.

eta...

Pretty sure I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream is in there some place.

Last edited:
Dan Simmons, Vernor Vinge, Neil Stephenson, Lois McMaster Bujold, Orson Scott Card, William Gibson, John Varley, James Tiptree Junior, .....

I'm good.
I met Dan Simmons in Scottsdale, Arizona, at a lecture/signing event some years ago. He was interesting to listen to. He told us how he became interested in wanting to be a writer. He signed about five items for me afterwards. He was a very pleasant and soft-spoken man. I prefer his horror fiction to his science fiction. My favorite books by him are Carrion Comfort and Children of the Night, both horror novels. These are essential reading for any fan of horror fiction, IMO.
I am impressed! I knew I liked you!

New Topics

Forum List

Back