We can learn from the Spanish Flu in dealing with COVID-19

The Spanish Flu is very similar to COVID-19. We relied on herd immunity to mitigate the Spanish Flu. The mortality rate was .0065 of a population of 103 million people in 1918. 675,000 people died in the USA of the Spanish Flu.
We could depend on herd immunity for COVID. The mortality rate should be close to the same for the Spanish Flu and COVID-19.
Based on today's US population it is estimated that 2,145,000 Americans would die by the time herd immunity took care of COVID-19.
With 80% or more American get vaccinated we could save over 1,000,000 American lives.
One of those lives saved could be your mother, your brother or your child.
Do not be scared. Get vaccinated and help save American lives.
JC. That flu was way different. LOL. It killed more people under 50 than over 50.

People with strong immune systems suffered the greatest, as their systems really over reacted.

What are you even talking about??
The comparisons are on overall mortality and how herd immunity could work out if all people were as stupid as those who are not getting the vaccinations.
A lot of people are just saying they are not getting vaxed just to piss certains off.

Example: I'm not taking that vaccine whatsoever. Truthfully I'm scheduled somewhere in a couple weeks.

I outed myself to let you know.

First, anti-bodies from having COVID are not as good as the vaccines.
Eh... I'm going to need a link to that one.

And you are putting the rest of your family, friends and Americans at greater risk. Thanks, asshole.
I should thank you though... The JJ vaccine is STILL a vaccine that tells your cells to make a unneeded protein, it just doesn't do it via mRNA, it does it via another virus. I won't be taking that vaccine either.

Found that out looking for information that said vaccines are better than getting the virus itself. Couldn't find it.

Last edited:
The Spanish Flu is very similar to COVID-19. We relied on herd immunity to mitigate the Spanish Flu. The mortality rate was .0065 of a population of 103 million people in 1918. 675,000 people died in the USA of the Spanish Flu.
We could depend on herd immunity for COVID. The mortality rate should be close to the same for the Spanish Flu and COVID-19.
Based on today's US population it is estimated that 2,145,000 Americans would die by the time herd immunity took care of COVID-19.
With 80% or more American get vaccinated we could save over 1,000,000 American lives.
A lot of people around me got vaccinated, but no one answered them if they might or not be contagious?
Moderna ands Pfizer are messenger vaccines. They keep the virus from replicating in your body and making you very sick or dead.

We don't know yet if they will keep you from getting infected and spreading the virus. Do you understand the difference?

The J&J vaccine is made from the vaccine (I believe) and likely gives old fashioned immunity from infection
I understand the difference but the vaccine in my opinion has not been studied enough I mean it was done rather fast.

The Spanish flu was nothing like COVID, the most at risk people for the Spanish Flu were the most healthy, because they believe the biggest factor was an over-response of the immune system to the bug, and younger people had the best immune systems.
Shit bro. Exactly. We would have been fucked with the 19 flu.

Actually if it was the 1919 flu people would have accepted hard quarantines much easier, and it would be more viable due to the higher mortality rate.
Philly was one of the last to quarantine. 2 weeks caused about 7000 deaths.

I read it was an unusually warm Autumn up through November in the NE. I'm going to circle back at ya on that one.

A lot of people around me got vaccinated, but no one answered them if they might or not be contagious?
well dalia those people you know,same as the op wont be around a few years from now,it is the vaccine that is dangerous not the virus.
Can you explain to me why you say they will be dead in a few years? and I don't intend to get vaccinated
"I don't intend to get vaccinated"

Why?
Because I have no comorbidity I am not old, I do not trust

The Spanish flu was nothing like COVID, the most at risk people for the Spanish Flu were the most healthy, because they believe the biggest factor was an over-response of the immune system to the bug, and younger people had the best immune systems.
Shit bro. Exactly. We would have been fucked with the 19 flu.

Actually if it was the 1919 flu people would have accepted hard quarantines much easier, and it would be more viable due to the higher mortality rate.
Philly was one of the last to quarantine. 2 weeks caused about 7000 deaths.

I read it was an unusually warm Autumn up through November in the NE. I'm going to circle back at ya on that one.
From what I've seen in this very complicated abstract, was there was a huge amount of precip in Europe before and after WW1

link worked for me..lol

Good for you. Glad you got vaccinated. Now go look for validation somewhere else and stay out of my life. I am one of those fathers that you mentioned and I have had covid. I am not concerned.
First, anti-bodies from having COVID are not as good as the vaccines. And you are putting the rest of your family, friends and Americans at greater risk. Thanks, asshole.
Yeah, mRNA vaccines are genetic modifiers--I don't want to be genetically modified--thank you very much. My family has also had covid, thank you very much asshole. Now do you want to admit that you don't know shit about this and you are listening to a bunch more morons that don't know shit about it either. Mask/don't mask/Mask, remdesivir is not good for you/yes it is/no it isn't, HCQ is not an effective deterrent/HCQ is an effective deterrent--ALL of these statements have been made by the CDC/WHO/Fauci in the past year. The AstraZeneca vaccine is effective--yeah, right, that is why the EU is not using it anymore because of blood clotting/thrombosis fatalities. You are stupid lemming fuck that would do anything that a demented old fool would tell you. Moron.

well dalia those people you know,same as the op wont be around a few years from now,it is the vaccine that is dangerous not the virus.
Can you explain to me why you say they will be dead in a few years? and I don't intend to get vaccinated
"I don't intend to get vaccinated"

Why?
Because I have no comorbidity I am not old, I do not trust
I DO have comorbidities and I am in the middle of the "most vulnerable age group." I have had covid-19 and it wasn't as bad as some colds that I have had. mRNA vaccines are genetic modifiers and I don't want the government modifying my genetic make-up. I'm not getting it because I don't trust is either. The EU agrees with you as well Dalia, that is why they have pulled the AstraZeneca vaccine.

I am fully vaccinated. I still wear a mask in public.

I wish everyone would get vaccinated so we can defeat this virus. Otherwise it will be with us for a long time.

Unfortunately we have a segment of our population who won't vaccinate, won't wear a mask and won't do anything to defeat the virus.

JC. That flu was way different. LOL. It killed more people under 50 than over 50.

People with strong immune systems suffered the greatest, as their systems really over reacted.

What are you even talking about??
The comparisons are on overall mortality and how herd immunity could work out if all people were as stupid as those who are not getting the vaccinations.
A lot of people are just saying they are not getting vaxed just to piss certains off.

Example: I'm not taking that vaccine whatsoever. Truthfully I'm scheduled somewhere in a couple weeks.

I outed myself to let you know.
play games is fine but if you get it, great!

Eh... I'm going to need a link to that one.

And you are putting the rest of your family, friends and Americans at greater risk. Thanks, asshole.
I should thank you though... The JJ vaccine is STILL a vaccine that tells your cells to make a unneeded protein, it just doesn't do it via mRNA, it does it via another virus. I won't be taking that vaccine either.

Found that out looking for information that said vaccines are better than getting the virus itself. Couldn't find it.

No no... You said:

Maybe I'm not as good of a reader as you... But what you linked does not support that statement. Feel free to quote from it that supports that statement.

Edit: Fair warning... I *DID* read it. I'll quote from it right after you do.

Last edited:
I am fully vaccinated. I still wear a mask in public.
Good for you. You do you.

I wish everyone would get vaccinated so we can defeat this virus. Otherwise it will be with us for a long time.

Unfortunately we have a segment of our population who won't vaccinate, won't wear a mask and won't do anything to defeat the virus.
It would be a lot easier to do if you supported using vaccines that are tried and proven to work and we absolutely know what the side effects are.

But... You are stupid. I don't expect you to do that. Elmer might, I even firmly believe he would even though we are disagreeing at the moment. You would not. Because you are stupid.

I apologize that I have to say it... But I have to... Because stupid ***is*** contagious if you don't call it out. It's like sunlight... A disinfectant.

No no... You said:

Maybe I'm not as good of a reader as you... But what you linked does not support that statement. Feel free to quote from it that supports that statement.

Edit: Fair warning... I *DID* read it. I'll quote from it right after you do.
I read an article saying that I cannot find. But the point is, it is advised you get the vaccine if you have had COVID. There is much unknown which is better in particular situations.

Not sure how much we could learn from the Spanish Flu, as the nations response to it was pretty terrible. Me? I trust what most of the doctors are saying about COVID right now, as we have much better equipment for detection, better vaccines, and the government is behind support for eradicating the virus. Responses back then? Not so much.

Me? I've already had my first shot of the MODERNA vaccine, and am getting ready for my second shot at the end of this month. I will continue to wear a mask for at least 2-3 weeks after I get my second shot. And no, I don't think a mask is an infringement on my rights.
Awesome for you, as long as you don't infringe on everyone elses.

I keep reading that the mortality rate of the Spanish Flu was more like 2% or slightly higher. Is this incorrect?
I think you are correct on the mortality rate for those who caught the Spanish Flu. I took deaths per capita. That includes, everybody, whether they caught the flu or not.
People today live about 25/30 years longer then in 1918.

I keep reading that the mortality rate of the Spanish Flu was more like 2% or slightly higher. Is this incorrect?
I think you are correct on the mortality rate for those who caught the Spanish Flu. I took deaths per capita. That includes, everybody, whether they caught the flu or not.
People today live about 25/30 years longer then in 1918.
how does that make a difference in the comparison between Spanish flu and COVID.

They are not sure but the current data indicates most likely not.

Forum List

Back