We are ALL in this together.....

Store shelves are empty here.............Zander must have been lucky as hell to go into a full store.......There isn't jack anywhere......

And here is the hint....if you have enough to get by with for now.........stay the hell out of crowded stores..........That is where the virus will cause a spread.......and the people working there.......well.....they are at high risk as Maniacs..........look for toilet paper...........

so please keep any differences to other forums. This is about how we as a people, can help each other thru this crisis and not about pointing fingers. There are plenty of other threads for that.

Do you have any suggestions, thoughts or ideas that may help someone else manage in the face of empty store shelves, quarantines, lock downs , loss of jobs or school and whatever yet may come from this craziness???

Anyone being faced with unexpected challenges have any questions that someone may have an answer for???

Let's open civil discussion about the realities of our basic needs and how to get around any shortages with possible alternatives.

A few things come to mind right off, as it seems to be some of the biggest issues...….empty store shelves. Food, water & paper products.

1. This is early spring and a good time to find out about and get some supplies for gardening. Even those in apartments or HOA's can put a few plants in pots to grow inside. May not be much, but it's a start. Something, anything that you can do for yourself can help put even some food on your table. Also, the act of caring for those plants, can take your mind off why they're needed.
Anyone in a complex or community can maybe get together and go to your landlord, HOA, or property manager to get permission to use a dedicated common area for gardens, or even chickens or goats. Those property managers or owners are more likely to agree if several of you have sat down to make a plan and come to them in agreement. Though sometimes they'll still say no, but it's worth a try.
Another option, is to get with someone that has a larger piece of property or acreage, that you can offer to help with chores in exchange for.????

2. Water??? Meh, that's a tricky one for sure. But there is always water catchment systems for rainwater, that can be used for pet or animals to drink, though you may need to purify or boil it for human consumption. Same goes for other natural water sources such as lakes, ponds, rivers, & streams.

3. Paper products....remember, once upon a time people used cloth to keep themselves and their environments clean. They were washed & sanitized to be used again.

Anyone else??? Other ideas??? Question???

Come on now, I know we can come together as a community group to help each other out in hard times. Leave your attitudes, arguments, trolling, nitpicking, politics, racism, religion, blaming and plain old butt hurt at the door. :2up:

View attachment 313090
*yawn*
Did you have a brain fart?

Stopped at my local Mexican restaurant for lunch to give them some support but all their chairs were up on the tables and they were doing take-out only. They said they had to do that for two weeks, this week and next, so that's as much of a timetable as I guess we have.

While waiting for my order I noticed something that had always been there but looked at for the first time, a string of banner flags across the ceiling, five or six of them all told, which read "CORONA CORONA". And looking around literally every wall has a Corona sign on it, in plastic or cardboard or neon. Even the daily special menu says "Corona" at the top. Never noticed it before.

Stopped at my local Mexican restaurant for lunch to give them some support but all their chairs were up on the tables and they were doing take-out only. They said they had to do that for two weeks, this week and next, so that's as much of a timetable as I guess we have.

While waiting for my order I noticed something that had always been there but looked at for the first time, a string of banner flags across the ceiling, five or six of them all told, which read "CORONA CORONA". And looking around literally every wall has a Corona sign on it, in plastic or cardboard or neon. Even the daily special menu says "Corona" at the top. Never noticed it before.
Corona means Crown in Spanish

Yeah it's the name of a Mexican beer. One that I never drink. It's wimpy.

Crown Beer in english

Crown Beer in english

I'm strictly Negra Modelo ("dark style")

So now you have the Corona...….hope you keep yourself quarantined. Those signs should have been your first clue not to eat there

So now you have the Corona...….hope you keep yourself quarantined. Those signs should have been your first clue not to eat there

It was a clue not to drink beer there. But fortunately they have other brands.

It was a clue not to drink beer there. But fortunately they have other brands.

shoulda went for a margarita instead

Live your life normally and just avoid contact with the elder and sick in your home. They must stay home until a vaccine is made, but you live your life normally.

By all means people...…..KEEP YOUR SENSE OF HUMOR thru all this.

Stress, while unavoidable, does effect your body in many ways. Laugh when you can, it helps those endorphins. Too much stress leads to too much anger that sets in, messing with body functions, whether you realize it or not and may have lasting effects. Also stress & anger can push you to do things you normally wouldn't and to think irrationally.

Take a break, deep breathing, relax & calm...…...then you can find solutions in the midst of chaos.

This might be a good time to check up on and help out your neighbors. If they're older they might not be able to get out easily. Maybe they aren't native English speakers and don't fully understand what's going on. Maybe they have some handicap or other challenge. Pull together.

This might be a good time to check up on and help out your neighbors. If they're older they might not be able to get out easily. Maybe they aren't native English speakers and don't fully understand what's going on. Maybe they have some handicap or other challenge. Pull together.

Even those with kids, check on them to see how everyone is doing. Offer to help them to make it thru this. Share if you think you can, if not, then help them to figure out solutions.

Similar to the 'feed a man a fish to eat for a day or teach him to fish to eat for a lifetime'.....or however the saying goes, but you get the idea.

so please keep any differences to other forums. This is about how we as a people, can help each other thru this crisis and not about pointing fingers. There are plenty of other threads for that.

Do you have any suggestions, thoughts or ideas that may help someone else manage in the face of empty store shelves, quarantines, lock downs , loss of jobs or school and whatever yet may come from this craziness???

Anyone being faced with unexpected challenges have any questions that someone may have an answer for???

Let's open civil discussion about the realities of our basic needs and how to get around any shortages with possible alternatives.

A few things come to mind right off, as it seems to be some of the biggest issues...….empty store shelves. Food, water & paper products.

1. This is early spring and a good time to find out about and get some supplies for gardening. Even those in apartments or HOA's can put a few plants in pots to grow inside. May not be much, but it's a start. Something, anything that you can do for yourself can help put even some food on your table. Also, the act of caring for those plants, can take your mind off why they're needed.
Anyone in a complex or community can maybe get together and go to your landlord, HOA, or property manager to get permission to use a dedicated common area for gardens, or even chickens or goats. Those property managers or owners are more likely to agree if several of you have sat down to make a plan and come to them in agreement. Though sometimes they'll still say no, but it's worth a try.
Another option, is to get with someone that has a larger piece of property or acreage, that you can offer to help with chores in exchange for.????

2. Water??? Meh, that's a tricky one for sure. But there is always water catchment systems for rainwater, that can be used for pet or animals to drink, though you may need to purify or boil it for human consumption. Same goes for other natural water sources such as lakes, ponds, rivers, & streams.

3. Paper products....remember, once upon a time people used cloth to keep themselves and their environments clean. They were washed & sanitized to be used again.

Come on now, I know we can come together as a community group to help each other out in hard times. Leave your attitudes, arguments, trolling, nitpicking, politics, racism, religion, blaming and plain old butt hurt at the door. :2up:

sorry

right wing fascists are NOT allowed in my 200 acre electric fenced LUXURIOUS off-the-grid 5 star compound!

sorry

right wing fascists are NOT allowed in my 200 acre electric fenced LUXURIOUS off-the-grid 5 star compound!

Then good luck to ya

Article%20-%20Cold%20Within.JPG

sorry

Then good luck to ya

Article%20-%20Cold%20Within.JPG

Excellent. A parody of "The Blind Men and the Elephant", a poem one remembers well from childhood: And a worthy lesson on seeing context.

It was six men of Indostan*, to learning much inclined,
who went to see the elephant (Though all of them were blind),
that each by observation, might satisfy his mind.

The first approached the elephant, and, happening to fall
against his broad and sturdy side, at once began to bawl:
'God bless me! but the elephant, is nothing but a wall!'

The second feeling of the tusk, cried: 'Ho! what have we here,
so very round and smooth and sharp? To me tis mighty clear,
this wonder of an elephant, is very like a spear!'

The third approached the animal, and, happening to take
the squirming trunk within his hands, 'I see,' quoth he,
the elephant is very like a snake!'

The fourth reached out his eager hand, and felt about the knee:
'What most this wondrous beast is like, is mighty plain,' quoth he;
'Tis clear enough the elephant is very like a tree.'

The fifth, who chanced to touch the ear, Said; 'E'en the blindest man
can tell what this resembles most; Deny the fact who can,
This marvel of an elephant, is very like a fan!'

The sixth no sooner had begun, about the beast to grope,
than, seizing on the swinging tail, that fell within his scope,
'I see,' quothe he, 'the elephant is very like a rope!'

And so these men of Indostan*, disputed loud and long,
each in his own opinion, exceeding stiff and strong,
Though each was partly in the right, and all were in the wrong!

So, oft in theologic wars, the disputants, I ween,
tread on in utter ignorance, of what each other mean,
and prate about the elephant, not one of them has seen!

John Godfrey Saxe

* - "Hindustan"

So one of my neighbors who keeps chickens put a stand on the side of the road with a cooler and a sign saying "FREE EGGS -- take some, leave some". I haven't had issues finding eggs but maybe some have. It's a kind gesture.

Forum List

Back