We are ALL in this together.....

eating fresh garlic has been shown to help fight infections and boost the immune system ...simply crush a clove peel it and chop it up .then let stand for about 15 to 20 minutes in open air ... i advise all people to look up the anti viral benefits of garlic.
AND it's known to ward off vampires. OR your mother-in-law!

Then it's a winner if she has the virus
You should see the TEETH on her!

So your MIL is a vampire???
I've had my suspicions about her. She's always pale, sickly and never leaves the house during daytime. And she REALLY enjoys her meat rare, VERY rare. With lots of blood, "right off the hoof", as it were.
:scared1:

If you can get your hands on a windfall of some food type that doesn't store well. Yes you can share with others, but also look into how to preserve it for later use. Even something such as garlic can be fermented for months.

Eggs is another one to keeping them 'fresh' longer. I've heard of good results by keeping them in a bucket(?) or some type of large container in water along with (I don't remember, but think it was either salt or lye?)

You all can look it up to find whatever methods work best for you,

Already got guns, ammo and food and water. We went to walmart today to look around and it was chaos.

Do you also have any medical supplies should you need them? Or know how to treat basic medical needs? First Aid? CPR?
Yes, but if we die, we don't care.

Not necessarily for you. OR what about broken bones? Or if you shoot yer eye out??????
Then I die.

So while you're still with us...….do you have any suggestions, ideas or maybe questions?????

If you can get your hands on a windfall of some food type that doesn't store well. Yes you can share with others, but also look into how to preserve it for later use. Even something such as garlic can be fermented for months.

Eggs is another one to keeping them 'fresh' longer. I've heard of good results by keeping them in a bucket(?) or some type of large container in water along with (I don't remember, but think it was either salt or lye?)

Dunno about keeping eggs longer but I usually have three dozen in the fridge just because of driving distances to replenish. Not sure if I want to store more than that.

Already got guns, ammo and food and water. We went to walmart today to look around and it was chaos.

Do you also have any medical supplies should you need them? Or know how to treat basic medical needs? First Aid? CPR?
Yes, but if we die, we don't care.

Not necessarily for you. OR what about broken bones? Or if you shoot yer eye out??????
Then I die.

So while you're still with us...….do you have any suggestions, ideas or maybe questions?????
BUy stuff

so please keep any differences to other forums. This is about how we as a people, can help each other thru this crisis and not about pointing fingers. There are plenty of other threads for that.

Do you have any suggestions, thoughts or ideas that may help someone else manage in the face of empty store shelves, quarantines, lock downs , loss of jobs or school and whatever yet may come from this craziness???

Anyone being faced with unexpected challenges have any questions that someone may have an answer for???

Let's open civil discussion about the realities of our basic needs and how to get around any shortages with possible alternatives.

A few things come to mind right off, as it seems to be some of the biggest issues...….empty store shelves. Food, water & paper products.

1. This is early spring and a good time to find out about and get some supplies for gardening. Even those in apartments or HOA's can put a few plants in pots to grow inside. May not be much, but it's a start. Something, anything that you can do for yourself can help put even some food on your table. Also, the act of caring for those plants, can take your mind off why they're needed.
Anyone in a complex or community can maybe get together and go to your landlord, HOA, or property manager to get permission to use a dedicated common area for gardens, or even chickens or goats. Those property managers or owners are more likely to agree if several of you have sat down to make a plan and come to them in agreement. Though sometimes they'll still say no, but it's worth a try.
Another option, is to get with someone that has a larger piece of property or acreage, that you can offer to help with chores in exchange for.????

2. Water??? Meh, that's a tricky one for sure. But there is always water catchment systems for rainwater, that can be used for pet or animals to drink, though you may need to purify or boil it for human consumption. Same goes for other natural water sources such as lakes, ponds, rivers, & streams.

3. Paper products....remember, once upon a time people used cloth to keep themselves and their environments clean. They were washed & sanitized to be used again.

Anyone else??? Other ideas??? Question???

Come on now, I know we can come together as a community group to help each other out in hard times. Leave your attitudes, arguments, trolling, nitpicking, politics, racism, religion, blaming and plain old butt hurt at the door. :2up:

View attachment 313090
*yawn*

Dunno about keeping eggs longer but I usually have three dozen in the fridge just because of driving distances to replenish. Not sure if I want to store more than that.

Well, how long does 3 dozen last you? Look up how long they can be kept already, either on the counter or in the fridge. Fridge of course lasts longer. But they are still good for several months to begin with and if you're in doubt put some in a container with water, if any float toss em…...those that sink to the bottom are good

Well, how long does 3 dozen last you? Look up how long they can be kept already, either on the counter or in the fridge. Fridge of course lasts longer. But they are still good for several months to begin with and if you're in doubt put some in a container with water, if any float toss em…...those that sink to the bottom are good

I'm quite sure they do not last several months even refrigerated. After that long they're empty shells. I know that from experience, having left some eggs in my late mother's unoccupied house.

I eat eggs every morning so 36 would last about two weeks (usually two, occasionally three or used for some other meal).

I noticed the price had gone up today though. Bastids.

I'm quite sure they do not last several months even refrigerated. After that long they're empty shells. I know that from experience, having left some eggs in my late mother's unoccupied house.

I eat eggs every morning so 36 would last about two weeks (usually two, occasionally three or used for some other meal).

I just looked it up and most say 3-5 weeks in the fridge......but I know I had seen even longer, but that was probably last year

if you're in doubt put some in a container with water, if any float toss em…...those that sink to the bottom are good

and yes, prices for stuff will be or are going up, just because stores can't keep things on the shelves...….that supply/demand thing.

I just looked it up and most say 3-5 weeks in the fridge......but I know I had seen even longer, but that was probably last year

if you're in doubt put some in a container with water, if any float toss em…...those that sink to the bottom are good

and yes, prices for stuff will be or are going up, just because stores can't keep things on the shelves...….that supply/demand thing.
marry me?

A floating egg means there's nothing in there. I'm not about to throw money away, so the idea of keeping eggs until they evaporate and have to be chucked, that's just not gonna happen.

I walked into the local ALDI store here in Los Angeles today around 11am, Based upon the "NEWS" I was expecting to walk into an empty store with only vegan food and soy milk- shit that only beta males eat.

Well, the Store shelves were fully stocked- chicken, beef, pork,, cheese, bread, eggs, butter, veggies, chocolate, avocados, deli meats, etc,,. The only item they were missing was toilet paper and paper towels- because some people are clueless, selfish, classless morons. Nobody was panicked and everyone was laughing at the media hype.

There is not shortage of food, so you can all calm the fuck down.

I walked into the local ALDI store here in Los Angeles today around 11am, Based upon the "NEWS" I was expecting to walk into an empty store with only vegan food and soy milk- shit that only beta males eat.

Well, the Store shelves were fully stocked- chicken, beef, pork,, cheese, bread, eggs, butter, veggies, chocolate, avocados, deli meats, etc,,. The only item they were missing was toilet paper and paper towels- because some people are clueless, selfish, classless morons. Nobody was panicked and everyone was laughing at the media hype.

Bullshit. I've seen it.

Bullshit. I've seen it.

Why would I lie?

Bullshit. I've seen it.

Why would I lie?

Your experience was atypical. I stopped at an AlDi's too and vast sections of the store were just empty. I found one (1) item that I wanted, nothing else. Trader Joe and two supermarkets looked similar. And we don't even have any CV cases around here.

Then you are lucky and be glad for it. Other areas are not.

I've been to Walmart twice in the last week and both times the shelves were or nearly bare...….No meat, eggs, bread, pasta, rice, canned goods, etc. And I could tell the shelves had been stocked in between my own visits as what wasn't there before may have a few the second trip.

Also a few days ago hit a Safeway, their shelves weren't as empty or bare, but definitely picked over and not fully stocked as usual.

There are many people that don't have a lot of options when their local store is out of something or completely bare......that's what this thread is about. Helping those without to know how to make do with what is available to them.

Then you are lucky and be glad for it. Other areas are not.

I've been to Walmart twice in the last week and both times the shelves were or nearly bare...….No meat, eggs, bread, pasta, rice, canned goods, etc. And I could tell the shelves had been stocked in between my own visits as what wasn't there before may have a few the second trip.

Also a few days ago hit a Safeway, their shelves weren't as empty or bare, but definitely picked over and not fully stocked as usual.

There are many people that don't have a lot of options when their local store is out of something or completely bare......that's what this thread is about. Helping those without to know how to make do with what is available to them.

I know a couple of overstock stores here. An operation that buys bulk overstock and runs a couple of stores with very cheap stuff. They had plenty of bread and eggs, they had pasta but not GF pasta, but they've been out of that for a while. But I found plenty of everything else.

One of the supermarkets had a sign that they were rationing I think it was three items per customer for pasta. Wasn't an issue as they didn't have any.

The more people lose their shit and act wacko, the longer we'll be dealing with the effects of wackoism. People being crazy is half the damn problem. People are getting comfy in lines outside stores, hours ahead of opening time. WTF? Stop that!

Dollar General is opening to only to the elderly and disabled for the first hour or two in the mornings. I think that's pretty awesome.

I already help out at the senior center down in town. I'll probably add a few hours till people straighten the hell up.

In the morning, I'm going to get ahold of the animal shelter in town and see what help they can use.

We haven't made porkers out of ourselves here. We're doing fine on supplies so far. So stay away from our canned corn!

The more people lose their shit and act wacko, the longer we'll be dealing with the effects of wackoism. People being crazy is half the damn problem. People are getting comfy in lines outside stores, hours ahead of opening time. WTF? Stop that!

Dollar General is opening to only to the elderly and disabled for the first hour or two in the mornings. I think that's pretty awesome.

I already help out at the senior center down in town. I'll probably add a few hours till people straighten the hell up.

In the morning, I'm going to get ahold of the animal shelter in town and see what help they can use.

We haven't made porkers out of ourselves here. We're doing fine on supplies so far. So stay away from our canned corn!

That's another point...…..animals and/or pets. They need food & care as well.

Maybe look up homemade pet food recipes and portion sizes needed.

This might be a good time to check up on and help out your neighbors. If they're older they might not be able to get out easily. Maybe they aren't native English speakers and don't fully understand what's going on. Maybe they have some handicap or other challenge. Pull together.

Forum List

Back