Wayfair to pay $15 an hour minimum

This is great. Goes to show that it can be done.
This is how it should be done. Not by government force.
Right but a lot of companies don’t give cost of living increases when they should. Decades could go by they won’t give raises except to the ceos
I wouldnt work for a place like that :dunno:
Oh so you think it’s easy to find another company that pays better and will hire you? I don’t think most people in America have that luxury. I bet if most people lost their job tomorrow, they’d be unemployed for at least a couple few months and they’ll probably end up at another company making just about the same or less.

If only it were that easy to just go find another job that pays more. If it were that easy itd be great. Then I would agree with you.

I make almost $100k. It’s very possible if I lost my job I would not find another company that would pay me as well. I’d probably have to go prove I’m worth it and a lot of times companies don’t give you a raise even when you are worth it. I’ve seen my company let people go rather Than give a raise. I think most companies and employees know it’s the corporations who are in the drivers seat here.
It might be hard for you, but you cant speak for all of America.

One person can land the better job. Millions of others that need to work can not.
Dude, if you cant find a job that pays over 15 bucks an hour, you are either a complete loser or a teenager.

One person can. Millions can not.
Only one person can find a job making 15 bucks or above? What?

You understand.
No i dont. Please elaborate

Yes you do. No one is taking the $10 an hour job because there are so many out there paying $15.
This is why the federal minimum wage is irrelevant.
I agree. The better way to get wages up is for Walmart employees to unionize and demand $25 hr. Then companies who compete with Walmart will be forced to raise their wages.

Mcdonald and Taco Bell too. If all Walmart’s and fast food places paid $25 hr America would be great again.

Right but a lot of companies don’t give cost of living increases when they should. Decades could go by they won’t give raises except to the ceos
Oh so you think it’s easy to find another company that pays better and will hire you? I don’t think most people in America have that luxury. I bet if most people lost their job tomorrow, they’d be unemployed for at least a couple few months and they’ll probably end up at another company making just about the same or less.

If only it were that easy to just go find another job that pays more. If it were that easy itd be great. Then I would agree with you.

I make almost $100k. It’s very possible if I lost my job I would not find another company that would pay me as well. I’d probably have to go prove I’m worth it and a lot of times companies don’t give you a raise even when you are worth it. I’ve seen my company let people go rather Than give a raise. I think most companies and employees know it’s the corporations who are in the drivers seat here.

One person can land the better job. Millions of others that need to work can not.
It would be nice to be able to tell my company if they don’t give me a raise I will go somewhere else and then be able to easily go somewhere else that pays more. If it were that easy we wouldn’t have such a struggling middle class.

This is why America was great when 35% of our workforce was unionized. If a non union company didn’t pay well people could go work for a union company.

And when unions collectively bargained and got raises, non union companies had to give raises for fear their good employees would leave or organize.

Now that unions barely exist, employers don’t have to give raises. Instead we have seen ceo pay skyrocket.

I had a good paying job. Where I worked it was a mix of company employee's and contractors. The contractors were paid less than half what I was.

People took these jobs because they were a stepping stone to getting hired with the company. I should note, they used to be company jobs in the past also.

The company like so many others cut, cut, cut. They didn't hire for years and then decided they would hire people after taking college classes. Contractors were out of luck even though many had worked there for years.

The company (despite making billions and being a huge multinational company was going to cut my pay also) no way I could have got a better job. I was lucky and said "screw it" and retired at 58.
One company?

Other companies have done it also.
So? Math not strong with you, and a question it appears the left now hates tariffs because they say they have to pay for it, why do you want to pay more for the same thing?
It’s worth it if it means good paying American jobs.

You guys didn’t like tariffs. We did. Trump did, then you did. Do you still?

Trumps tariffs only caused China to look elsewhere for what they wanted and for record farm bankruptcies.

It would be nice to be able to tell my company if they don’t give me a raise I will go somewhere else and then be able to easily go somewhere else that pays more. If it were that easy we wouldn’t have such a struggling middle class.

This is why America was great when 35% of our workforce was unionized. If a non union company didn’t pay well people could go work for a union company.

And when unions collectively bargained and got raises, non union companies had to give raises for fear their good employees would leave or organize.

Now that unions barely exist, employers don’t have to give raises. Instead we have seen ceo pay skyrocket.

I had a good paying job. Where I worked it was a mix of company employee's and contractors. The contractors were paid less than half what I was.

People took these jobs because they were a stepping stone to getting hired with the company. I should note, they used to be company jobs in the past also.

The company like so many others cut, cut, cut. They didn't hire for years and then decided they would hire people after taking college classes. Contractors were out of luck even though many had worked there for years.

The company (despite making billions and being a huge multinational company was going to cut my pay also) no way I could have got a better job. I was lucky and said "screw it" and retired at 58.
One company?

So? Math not strong with you, and a question it appears the left now hates tariffs because they say they have to pay for it, why do you want to pay more for the same thing?

Explain to us how minimum wage can be a good job no matter if it was 25 cents an hour or $1,000 dollars an hour .

Dude, if you cant find a job that pays over 15 bucks an hour, you are either a complete loser or a teenager.

You understand.

Yes you do. No one is taking the $10 an hour job because there are so many out there paying $15.
I agree. The better way to get wages up is for Walmart employees to unionize and demand $25 hr. Then companies who compete with Walmart will be forced to raise their wages.

Mcdonald and Taco Bell too. If all Walmart’s and fast food places paid $25 hr America would be great again.
So you want to pay $25 bucks for a big Mac?

Why doesn't the well educated left understand economics 101?

Can I speak for most Americans? Because fo most us workers, wages have barely budged in decades.

When I took this job I said the minimum I would accept to start was $40,000. But I would want a raise if I was successful. I killed it the first two years and each year I only got a $5000 raise. I told the new president I was insulted by the raises I got and he gave me what I was worth. Alost $50,000 raise. This is unheard of. The only reason he gave me the raise is I could show him I was making our company $500,000 a year.

Everyone else at my company who has complained they weren’t making enough, the company let go. One woman in my opinion was just as important as I was but rather than pay her $80,000 they hired two girls for $40,000 each. She went into real estate. And if the two girls can easily go find a better paying job, why don’t they?
People hate unions
Not true. A lot of companies would be unionized today but the corporations spread rumors before the vote that if they voted to unionize they’d move the shop to Mexico.

If the company didn’t say anything they would have voted to unionize.

All the Americans who work in factories and aren’t unionized wish they were. If they don’t they’re dipumb. Do they not like higher wages, better benefits, job security, pensions, etc a?

One company?

Explain to us how minimum wage can be a good job no matter if it was 25 cents an hour or $1,000 dollars an hour .
Huh? You explain that

Wayfair must be getting ready to automate a department and have a mass firing. That's what Amazon did.

You understand.

It wouldn’t be that much. McD can’t charge more than we will pay. They just wont make as much profit as they do now. I hear each McDonald’s franchise makes $1 million a year. Subways make $30,000 a year. Maybe McDonald’s franchises would only make $800,000 a year instead of $1 million.

Now I agree lets not raise minimum wage to $25. If we did that then yes inflation would raise the price of everything.

Are American cars more expensive than Toyota’s and honda’s? Not really. They just pay their employees better. And without the American car companies Toyota wouldn’t pay as well as it does. They fear they might unionize so they pay close to union wages.

You understand.

In part but I'm still going to support raising it to $15 for the reasons I've noted.
So again you want to pay

One company?

I've explained why.

It's just forced charity

What is the billions the markets get?
More for the same thin
If after 10 years they are making $11.50 they still are not being treated right.
I agree. What kind of person with self respect would continue giving their life to a group of assholes like that?

The one with no other option.
There are always options.

Blah, blah, blah. Not for millions of people.
Good luck proving that

I already have.
Lead me to where you did

People are not taking $10 an hour jobs when there are $15 an hour jobs available. It's not happening.
What are you talking about?

Can I speak for most Americans? Because fo most us workers, wages have barely budged in decades.

When I took this job I said the minimum I would accept to start was $40,000. But I would want a raise if I was successful. I killed it the first two years and each year I only got a $5000 raise. I told the new president I was insulted by the raises I got and he gave me what I was worth. Alost $50,000 raise. This is unheard of. The only reason he gave me the raise is I could show him I was making our company $500,000 a year.

Everyone else at my company who has complained they weren’t making enough, the company let go. One woman in my opinion was just as important as I was but rather than pay her $80,000 they hired two girls for $40,000 each. She went into real estate. And if the two girls can easily go find a better paying job, why don’t they?
People hate unions
Not true. A lot of companies would be unionized today but the corporations spread rumors before the vote that if they voted to unionize they’d move the shop to Mexico.

All the Americans who work in factories and aren’t unionized wish they were. If they don’t they’re dipumb. Do they not like higher wages, better benefits, job security, pensions, etc a?
It is true, I would rather work at McDonald's for minimum wage then a union company for $50 bucks an hour.

I despise those over paid lazy assholes always crying about benefits then working and producing a good product

Do you have a list of companies that have not raised their wages for decades? I don't know of any, enlighten us all.
But despite the strong labor market, wage growth has lagged economists’ expectations. In fact, despite some ups and downs over the past several decades, today’s real average wage (that is, the wage after accounting for inflation) has about the same purchasing power it did 40 years ago. And what wage gains there have been have mostly flowed to the highest-paid tier of workers.

For the biggest group of American workers, wages aren’t just flat. They’re falling.

For workers in “production and nonsupervisory” positions, the value of the average paycheck has declined in the past year. For those workers, average “real wages” — a measure of pay that takes inflation into account — fell from $22.62 in May 2017 to $22.59 in May 2018, the Bureau of Labor Statistics said.

This pool of workers includes those in manufacturing and construction jobs, as well as all “nonsupervisory” workers in service industries such health care or fast food. The group accounts for about four-fifths of the privately employed workers in America

The falling wages promise to exacerbate historic levels of U.S. inequality. Within the labor force, it means workers who were already making less are falling further behind. And if private laborers as a whole are seeing their earnings flatten while the economy as a whole grows at an annual rate of more than 2 percent, that means the gains are going almost exclusively to people already at the top of the economic ladder, economists say.
“The extra growth we are seeing in the economy is going somewhere: to capital owners and people at the top of the income distribution,” said Heidi Shierholz, director of policy at the Economic Policy Institute and a former chief economist at the Labor Department, noting workers' share of corporate income remained relatively low as of January. “And what we've seen is in recent period a much higher share of total income earned going to owners of capital.”

But why is wage growth so tepid?
This problem is not new: Slow wage growth bedeviled the Obama administration, as well.

Weaker union rights for workers may also be cutting into their ability to force pay increases from their bosses, said Jared Bernstein, who served as an economic adviser to Vice President Joe Biden.
Trump officials pointed to what they called a strong growth in private business investment in the first quarter of 2018, after the tax law's passage, and expressed optimism that the law would translate into higher wages for workers in the near future. They also dismissed the allegation that the data disproved their claim that the tax law would raise the average worker's wage by $4,000.
“The law is just six months old,” said DJ Nordquist, chief of staff for Trump's Council of Economic Advisers, in an email. “Our estimates [of the tax law's benefits] were for 'steady state' — when the full effects of the law spread throughout the economy, which will take years, as we always said it would.”

But to Democrats, the tepid wage growth helps bolster their claim that the Republican tax law was overwhelmingly geared toward the wealthy and that a more direct role for the federal government is needed to help workers.
“Today, while the cost of health care, prescription drugs, gasoline and housing soar, the average worker, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, is now making slightly less than he or she made one year ago after adjusting for inflation,” Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) said in an email to The Washington Post, arguing for a higher minimum wage and a single-payer health-care plan.

You understand.

In part but I'm still going to support raising it to $15 for the reasons I've noted.
So again you want to pay

One company?

I've explained why.

It's just forced charity

More for the same thin
If after 10 years they are making $11.50 they still are not being treated right.
I agree. What kind of person with self respect would continue giving their life to a group of assholes like that?

Good luck proving that

I already have.
Lead me to where you did

People are not taking $10 an hour jobs when there are $15 an hour jobs available. It's not happening.

People hate unions

It is true, I would rather work at McDonald's for minimum wage then a union company for $50 bucks an hour.

I despise those over paid lazy assholes always crying about benefits then working and producing a good product
Then you sir are an idiot.

Do you have a list of companies that have not raised their wages for decades? I don't know of any, enlighten us all.
But despite the strong labor market, wage growth has lagged economists’ expectations. In fact, despite some ups and downs over the past several decades, today’s real average wage (that is, the wage after accounting for inflation) has about the same purchasing power it did 40 years ago. And what wage gains there have been have mostly flowed to the highest-paid tier of workers.

For the biggest group of American workers, wages aren’t just flat. They’re falling.

For workers in “production and nonsupervisory” positions, the value of the average paycheck has declined in the past year. For those workers, average “real wages” — a measure of pay that takes inflation into account — fell from $22.62 in May 2017 to $22.59 in May 2018, the Bureau of Labor Statistics said.

This pool of workers includes those in manufacturing and construction jobs, as well as all “nonsupervisory” workers in service industries such health care or fast food. The group accounts for about four-fifths of the privately employed workers in America

The falling wages promise to exacerbate historic levels of U.S. inequality. Within the labor force, it means workers who were already making less are falling further behind. And if private laborers as a whole are seeing their earnings flatten while the economy as a whole grows at an annual rate of more than 2 percent, that means the gains are going almost exclusively to people already at the top of the economic ladder, economists say.
“The extra growth we are seeing in the economy is going somewhere: to capital owners and people at the top of the income distribution,” said Heidi Shierholz, director of policy at the Economic Policy Institute and a former chief economist at the Labor Department, noting workers' share of corporate income remained relatively low as of January. “And what we've seen is in recent period a much higher share of total income earned going to owners of capital.”

This problem is not new: Slow wage growth bedeviled the Obama administration, as well.

Weaker union rights for workers may also be cutting into their ability to force pay increases from their bosses, said Jared Bernstein, who served as an economic adviser to Vice President Joe Biden.
Trump officials pointed to what they called a strong growth in private business investment in the first quarter of 2018, after the tax law's passage, and expressed optimism that the law would translate into higher wages for workers in the near future. They also dismissed the allegation that the data disproved their claim that the tax law would raise the average worker's wage by $4,000.
“The law is just six months old,” said DJ Nordquist, chief of staff for Trump's Council of Economic Advisers, in an email. “Our estimates [of the tax law's benefits] were for 'steady state' — when the full effects of the law spread throughout the economy, which will take years, as we always said it would.”

But to Democrats, the tepid wage growth helps bolster their claim that the Republican tax law was overwhelmingly geared toward the wealthy and that a more direct role for the federal government is needed to help workers.
“Today, while the cost of health care, prescription drugs, gasoline and housing soar, the average worker, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, is now making slightly less than he or she made one year ago after adjusting for inflation,” Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) said in an email to The Washington Post, arguing for a higher minimum wage and a single-payer health-care plan.

Can't you name the companies? You made the claim, now you are trying to qualify your claim and still no proof?

You understand.

It wouldn’t be that much. McD can’t charge more than we will pay. They just wont make as much profit as they do now. I hear each McDonald’s franchise makes $1 million a year. Subways make $30,000 a year. Maybe McDonald’s franchises would only make $800,000 a year instead of $1 million.

Now I agree lets not raise minimum wage to $25. If we did that then yes inflation would raise the price of everything.

Are American cars more expensive than Toyota’s and honda’s? Not really. They just pay their employees better. And without the American car companies Toyota wouldn’t pay as well as it does. They fear they might unionize so they pay close to union wages.

You understand.

American cars cost $2,000 to $3,000 dollars more because of labor and once again 85% of mcdonald's is mom and pops small profit margins

You understand.

So again you want to pay

One company?

I've explained why.

It's just forced charity

More for the same thin

Good luck proving that

I already have.
Lead me to where you did

People hate unions

Then you sir are an idiot.
How so I take pride in my work and can't stand lazy cry baby co workers

Yeah and raising the minimum wage so over 40% of the workers make minimum wage won't help.

images (29).jpeg

Now this is interesting

Dunkin' Donuts Franchise Owners earn $124,000 annually, or $60 per hour, which is 70% higher than the national average for all Franchise Owners at $60,000 annually and 61% higher than the national salary average for all working Americans.
www.careerbliss.com › dunkin-donuts
Dunkin' Donuts Franchise Owner Salaries | CareerBliss

Can't you name the companies? You made the claim, now you are trying to qualify your claim and still no proof?
They aren’t fortune 500s. I showed you a list of what industries where this is true.

after inflation a lot of people are doing worse.

How about this. I know a bunch of people today make $50k. They work administrative jobs. Those jobs paid $50k in the 90s. So people are making less toda when you factor inflation.

Now this is interesting

Dunkin' Donuts Franchise Owners earn $124,000 annually, or $60 per hour, which is 70% higher than the national average for all Franchise Owners at $60,000 annually and 61% higher than the national salary average for all working Americans.
www.careerbliss.com › dunkin-donuts
Dunkin' Donuts Franchise Owner Salaries | CareerBliss
Mayb because donuts are cheap.

Forum List

Back