Watched "The Hospital" (1971) George C Scott

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
This movie highlights alot what Flopper speaks of when talking about older movies.
That older films reflect the thinking of the time, not necessarily what WAS at the time, but how people interpret scenes.
George C Scott plays a Doctor who is also the Chief Surgeon.
A man with solid success and respect from peers - but whose home life and personal life is a disaster.
In a scene he meets a younger woman (in the movie he is 53, she is early 30s) and opens up to her about how his life is in shambles and contemplates suicide. Long story short, she is attracted to older men and tells him so. And tries to seduce him. This angers him, and demands she leaves. She does but comes back... and in his anger he rips her clothes off and rapes her.
Her response to that. Is she falls in love.
A scene that wouldn't in a million years be written today.

Last edited:
This movie highlights alot what Flopper speaks of when talking about older movies.
That older films reflect the thinking of the time, not necessarily what WAS at the time, but how people interpret scenes.
George C Scott plays a Doctor who is also the Chief Surgeon.
A man with solid success and respect from peers - but whose home life and personal life is a disaster.
In a scene he meets a younger woman (in the movie he is 53, she is early 30s) and opens up to her about how his life is in shambles and contemplates suicide. Long story short, she is attracted to older men and tells him so. And tries to seduce him. This angers him, and demands she leaves. She does but comes back... and in his anger he rips her clothes off and rapes her.
Her response to that. Is she falls in love.
A scene that wouldn't in a million years be written today.
It was a pretty dark comedy but I thought it was good, but not a favorite. Paddy Chayefsky's script was wonderful and the performances of Scott and Riggs great also. I really liked some of the dark comedies of this period like Dr. Strangelove but this one left me a bit flat.

Many movies and TV series in the 60s and 70s often have a washed out look due primarily to the color film used which did not produce vivid colors that lasted. Film restoration seems to have focuses on films of 30's and 40's and academy award winners which have been a challenge to restore because the process often requires finding a lot of good copies. In my opinion, this film and many like it would have been far more effective if shoot in black and white by a director that knows how to compose scenes but film audiences then demanded everything be in living color which today is about as dead as it gets.

Forum List

Back