Watch the destruction of Pompeii

Not sure why they are showcasing something from 8 years ago. I hadn't seen it and I like it. I am still a bit surprised at the length of time.

If Yellowstone ever blew we'd have feet of ashes everywhere East

Little known fact is the volcano initially erupted. Many had fled before the Big One a week or 2 later, I believe

The ones that stayed behind got a taste of semi Darwinism. Don't fool with Mama Nature

If Yellowstone ever blew we'd have feet of ashes everywhere East

Little known fact is the volcano initially erupted. Many had fled before the Big One a week or 2 later, I believe

The ones that stayed behind got a taste of semi Darwinism. Don't fool with Mama Nature
I wonder how many false starts they went through before then. When I lived in Key West, I learned that the decision to stay or go with a hurricane coming was not always that easy. If you leave then you don't know when you can return. How much money do you have to stay somewhere indefinitely?

When you see the scope of the excavation at Pompeii, it's difficult to imagine it being completely gone. I was there in 2019 and I couldn't walk the entire excavation in an entire day. Here are some photos I took during that visit:

This is the amphitheater. It's the earliest known permanent stone amphitheater in Italy. Pink Floyd played here in 1971:

pom01.jpg

This is a passageway under the amphitheater. It's in remarkable shape for being 2,000 years old and once covered in lava:

pom02.jpg

2,000 year old paint:

pom12.jpg

A plaster cast of a volcano victim. The process for making these is pretty fascinating. Victims were buried under 10 feet of pumice and ash. As their bodies decomposed, they left voids. Giuseppe Fiorelli, who was in charge of the excavation in the 1800's, developed a way to poor plaster into the voids, which resulted in figures like this one. Each figure is, essentially, a visual representation of the moment of death:

pom20.jpg

This is the culprit, Mount Vesuvius:

ves01.jpg

Originally, it was believed that those who died at Pompeii did so due to asphyxiation. Recent studies, however, challenge that. It's estimated that temperatures rose to opver 300° celsius (540° fahrenheit) in just a fraction of a second. Basically, the victims didn't have time to suffocate...

I think Vesuvius is still quite active, and could go again at any time. In fact, I think geologists have said it is due for an eruption. Great pictures.

Forum List

Back