Washington Commanders purchase land in Woodbridge, Virginia for potential stadium move

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
The Washington Commanders have purchased 200 acres of land in Woodbridge, Virginia, for $100 million, a source with knowledge of the situation said — marking the latest step in the team’s pursuit of a new stadium.

The land, located in Prince William County, would help the Commanders develop a stadium complex that includes restaurants, retail shops and other amenities beyond the 60,000-seat domed stadium that Washington has planned.

If the team moves to Woodbridge, the stadium would be roughly 26 miles from the District. According to planning documents reported by WUSA 9 in February, the location is near the Woodbridge exit on Interstate 95. The proposed site is about 37 miles from the team’s current stadium in Landover, Maryland, and 42 miles from the team’s current headquarters in Ashburn, Virginia.

Washington may look to purchase another 65 to 70 acres worth of land in Dumfries, Virginia, but added that the Woodbridge location is the team’s preferred site.

Commanders purchase land in Woodbridge for potential stadium move

From what I understand it's going to fought tooth and nail due to NOtVA developers and their political cronies that wanted the land to build-out for the transplants......Go Washington.

$500,000 an acre. Yowsa.
Yep, and that's why the local politicians and developers are pissed, I was told that they were offering a bit better than half that.....Hopefully some things will be changing in Prince William County come November and it won't be delayed unnecessarily.

Not that the gop is any better as far as sucking-up to developers but they don't owe that particular bunch anything though it would not surprise me to see the developers to donate to both sides trying to hedge their bets..

The Washington Commanders have purchased 200 acres of land in Woodbridge, Virginia, for $100 million, a source with knowledge of the situation said — marking the latest step in the team’s pursuit of a new stadium.

The land, located in Prince William County, would help the Commanders develop a stadium complex that includes restaurants, retail shops and other amenities beyond the 60,000-seat domed stadium that Washington has planned.

If the team moves to Woodbridge, the stadium would be roughly 26 miles from the District. According to planning documents reported by WUSA 9 in February, the location is near the Woodbridge exit on Interstate 95. The proposed site is about 37 miles from the team’s current stadium in Landover, Maryland, and 42 miles from the team’s current headquarters in Ashburn, Virginia.

Washington may look to purchase another 65 to 70 acres worth of land in Dumfries, Virginia, but added that the Woodbridge location is the team’s preferred site.

Commanders purchase land in Woodbridge for potential stadium move

From what I understand it's going to fought tooth and nail due to NOtVA developers and their political cronies that wanted the land to build-out for the transplants......Go Washington.
I don’t think the commanders is that bad of a name

It is noticeable that it is away from urban D.C. A stadium will last many years and perhaps new highways built around it with the area being a safe one.

Forum List

Back