- Sociology
- Case study
- Scientific method
- etc…

My perspective is influenced positively by
- History
- Sciences
- Foreign language

I could go on. Statistically the most successful outcome is a college education.

"I think of all the educate that I've missed"
"But then my homework, was never quite like this"

the entire second floor of the New York Public Library
You won't get a whole lot of writing done if you're trying to read "the entire second floor of the New York Public Library".
And a lot of THAT will be wasted time.

Nope. I use daily:
- Statistics
- Algebra
- English and Grammar
- Reading Comprehension
- Learning Skills
- Psychology
- Sociology
- Case study
- Scientific method
- etc…

My perspective is influenced positively by
- History
- Sciences
- Foreign language

I could go on. Statistically the most successful outcome is a college education.

A well rounded education allows you to argue on the internet with people who still think the earth is flat.

I have two Masters degrees and a doctorate. I do not credit a single professor in teaching me anything. I put in time and did the actual learning on my own. Primary teachers just got in my way.

We were taught all this useless shit in school, but were we taught things that we could actually use in the real world? I'd say rarely.

I was lucky that I got out of the government-run schools and went to a private high-school where we WERE taught how to live in the real world. Public school was largely mind rot, not that we don't benefit from knowing history, math and such, just that it is THE WAY THEY GO ABOUT IT rarely tying what they teach in with real world applications and once taught, they move on and almost never go back over old material using it again nor integrating it with new material to help establish it in one's permanent memory! Public school as taught is mainly about short term memory and regurgitation to make you a good test taker so that you will graduate and move on to the next grade to keep the federal government out of their hair.

To be sure, knowing the exploits of Vasco da Gama or how to factor a polynomial don't generally contribute much relevance in everyday life. When they took teaching Civics out of public school in lieu of social studies and such, education took a huge step back.

I know a lot of you guys will hate on this fellow because of his hair and his style of getting his message out, but that's fine, you're entitled to your opinion. I personally watched this and realized that he was right. We were taught all this useless shit in school, but were we taught things that we could actually use in the real world? I'd say rarely.

Why is it that from 4th grade on up, school is preparing you for college and not life? Why are so many kids useless and clueless when they leave school? Why are kids uninterested in school? I wasn't a fan of most of my subjects, and Math was the one I hated most. But when I started taking business math, I actually enjoyed it because it was applicable, I could use that math, even if it was for basic shit. Unless I'm going to be an engineer, why would I need to learn algebra?

I think schools need to get their priorities straight, and should teach kids how to be prepared for adulthood, so they're not hit in the face like a ton of bricks when being an adult finally hits them.

Are you going to college?

I was lucky that I got out of the government-run schools and went to a private high-school where we WERE taught how to live in the real world. Public school was largely mind rot, not that we don't benefit from knowing history, math and such, just that it is THE WAY THEY GO ABOUT IT rarely tying what they teach in with real world applications and once taught, they move on and almost never go back over old material using it again nor integrating it with new material to help establish it in one's permanent memory! Public school as taught is mainly about short term memory and regurgitation to make you a good test taker so that you will graduate and move on to the next grade to keep the federal government out of their hair.

To be sure, knowing the exploits of Vasco da Gama or how to factor a polynomial don't generally contribute much relevance in everyday life. When they took teaching Civics out of public school in lieu of social studies and such, education took a huge step back.
It was a new private religious school (since the 1970s) wasn't it?

Depends what you do for a living.
Even the most interesting man in the world, divides his polynomials by (XX) Dos equis.

Depends what you do for a living.

Well, I've done all kinds of things in my life from simple labor to crafts and trades, to science, engineering, administration, and management. I remember one job which involved about 4 hours of intensive testing. I was hired and worked there for 5 years and at no point did I ever need to know any of the stuff I was tested for!

Another time I went to an employment agency which specialized in hiring people for a particular field of work which I had many years experience in and had been highly effective and successful at! They told me they couldn't use me, they were more interested in unproven kids who had just gotten out of school with no actual work experience!

It was at that point I realized that the entire employment industry is essentially nuts and have no idea what they were doing, totally lost in government regulations and mandates, so went into business working for myself opening two S-Corps of my own and never looked back.

I dropped out of HS at 16
Got a GED at 17

Started working for my self at 20

When I needed to learn something I took a class so the education I paid for wasn't a waste because I didn't waste my time or money taking stupid useless classes. I learned what I needed to learn to advance and expand my business.

Forum List

Back