Was watching some old TV shows with my kid,

Right now, I have METV on and am watching Perry Mason that will be followed by Matlock and Diagnosis Murder.

The smoking still shocks me

How they would stop a scene so the actors could light up and then the smoke cloud would obstruct the actors

If you watch John Wayne, and William Holden movies (except the westerns), almost every scene they are smoking. They were big enough stars that they probably demanded that another character offer them a cigarette whenever they started a new scene.
I get the feeling cigarette companies were paying for product placement. Especially with glamorous female stars

I get the feeling cigarette companies were paying for product placement. Especially with glamorous female stars

I am sure you are correct. The cigarette companies were major sponsors. I also think some of those actors were just plain hooked on the nicotine. I alos remember watching new broadcasts where you could see the smoke rising from the ash tray next to the news anchor.

I never smoked, but it was still common, and allowed in the work place when I fist started my career.

I am sure you are correct. The cigarette companies were major sponsors. I also think some of those actors were just plain hooked on the nicotine. I alos remember watching new broadcasts where you could see the smoke rising from the ash tray next to the news anchor.

I never smoked, but it was still common, and allowed in the work place when I fist started my career.
When I was in HS they had a student smoking lounge

In college, you could smoke at your desk and the professors smoked

Being a child during the 60s and 70s, smoking was a grownup thing, and almost all adults in my world smoked. I can remember times as a kid that I just could not get away from the smoke. Going on a two hour car trip to visit relatives seemed like torture. As I grew older, most my adult family members quit as did both my mother and father.

To this day, to me smoking a cigarette or cigar seems almost as discussing as eating dog turds from the yard. I have difficulty understanding why someone would voluntarily set a substance like tobacco on fire to breath in the pollution.

If you are a smoker, do the world a favor. Don't offer that non-smoker that first cigar or cigarette that may potentially get that person addicted and shorten that person's life.
Non-smokers get Alzheimer's.

"Ward, weren't you a little hard on the beaver last night?"

Being a child during the 60s and 70s, smoking was a grownup thing, and almost all adults in my world smoked. I can remember times as a kid that I just could not get away from the smoke. Going on a two hour car trip to visit relatives seemed like torture. As I grew older, most my adult family members quit as did both my mother and father.

To this day, to me smoking a cigarette or cigar seems almost as discussing as eating dog turds from the yard. I have difficulty understanding why someone would voluntarily set a substance like tobacco on fire to breath in the pollution.

If you are a smoker, do the world a favor. Don't offer that non-smoker that first cigar or cigarette that may potentially get that person addicted and shorten that person's life.
Are you a smoker? I don’t hate the smoker, I just hate the smoke!

Imagine how many old storylines would have been over in two minutes if they had cell phones.

"Oh no! We need to warn whoever about... Wait... I'll text him."

Yeah, like this...

Lighten Up About Lighting Up

The rulers are sissies afraid of the Marlboro Man. That's what's behind all this harassment and cigarette tax.

Players' Perils

When Jane Fonda played a famous chain-smoker, Lillian Hellman, in Julia, she started smoking for the role and got hooked on it. Also, Robert De Niro may have wrecked his physique fattening up for Raging Bull.

Lighten Up About Lighting Up

The rulers are sissies afraid of the Marlboro Man. That's what's behind all this harassment and cigarette tax.
As long as you are not lighting up around me, I'm good with it. If you want to stick shit in your mouth and suck in the fumes.. that's okay by me as long as you are not around me when you do it.

First hint she points out is no cell phones. It just blew her away that the world ran without cell phones and Facebook. For me, it really stands out how much cigarette smoking there was. In Hospitals, court rooms teacher lounges restaurants and so on. That and some of the stuff they said, man they would have never gotten away with that in those days.
Watch some films from the early 90s and late 80s.

That is a real culture shock for kids, because cell phones and the internet still weren't a thing, and many of us millennials grew up during that time.

First hint she points out is no cell phones. It just blew her away that the world ran without cell phones and Facebook. For me, it really stands out how much cigarette smoking there was. In Hospitals, court rooms teacher lounges restaurants and so on. That and some of the stuff they said, man they would have never gotten away with that in those days.

That is a real culture shock for kids, because cell phones and the internet still weren't a thing, and many of us millennials grew up during that time.

Mmm, thank god there was no internet in those days! The world would have seen my ass!

Mmm, thank god there was no internet in those days! The world would have seen my ass!

There was a form of the internet in the '60s and I spent a lot of time on the internet using electronic bulletin boards in the 80s.

I used to watch the Patty Duke Show.

Last edited:
[...] For me, it really stands out how much cigarette smoking there was. In Hospitals, court rooms teacher lounges restaurants and so on. That and some of the stuff they said, man they would have never gotten away with that in those days.
I started smoking in 1951 -- at age fifteen. Back then almost everyone smoked and a teen-age boy who didn't smoke was regarded as a kid by girls. If I knew then what everyone knows now I would never have started smoking, but back then cigarette ads featured signed testimonials by thousands of physicians who endorsed it as being "good for you."

images

And the most popular celebrities of the era, including Ronald Reagan, said it was the thing to do

44e393c5de304444945c8463b68f5192.jpg

It's amazing how the top executives of the cigarette companies got away with killing so many people and making so many deathly sick.

Forum List

Back