Was the Columbus, OH., police officer justified shooting the knife wielding girl? (poll)

Do you support the police officer shooting the knife wielding girl protecting the unarmed girl?

• Yes, the shooting was justified.

Votes: 111 94.1%
  • No, I'll explain in my post

Votes: 7 5.9%

• Total voters
I fully understand that my replies here don't speak to the question posed by the OP.

They are my attempt to speak above and beyond the question. Perhaps this can explain why there's so much extremist frothing at the mouth by 93% of Americans?

Police action at a crime scene or potential crime scene that results in death or deaths, is police failure.
I would imagine the remaining 7% are the extremists.

Yes. And No. I know. It is I the cop hater. At least that is what the replies from certain people will claim.

Yes. Shooting a weapon wielding individual is justified to save life.

The problem is totality of the situation. Nobody was hearing the commands of the cop. He wasn’t the loudest voice there. The fighting girls didn’t even see him. Not because they were black. Nor because they were girls.

The term is situational awareness. It takes training to avoid the normal human tendency to focus on one thing. The tunnel vision. A vast majority of you will never have experienced it. But with training you can avoid that deadly mistake.

The girls fighting were seeing nothing but their enemies. Totally normal human reaction. They were not hearing anything. Much less the sounds of the cop shouting.

This is where you need something to startle them. Something to get their attention. A shot into the grass as one example. I watched the video once. My mind screamed fire a shot into the ground. It will startle the girls out of the tunnel.

When the cop fired. At that moment he had a choice. Let another person get stabbed. Wounded. Possibly killed. Or shoot.

I don’t find fault with the shooting at the time it happened. But here again is where my often advocated position comes in. A study into the totality of events. Alternatives that can be thought of. Alternatives that may be available to the next cop in the next situation. Alternatives that may save a life later. And there are always alternatives. There are always lessons to be learned.

The biggest thing is think. It is hard to think in a stressful situation. The ability to do so is invaluable. This is where training comes in. Teaching people to think when the stress is on. Teaching them to avoid that tunnel vision.

The more you know. The better you are. We should milk incidents like this for every ounce of information.

It was a justified shooting IMO. It was still regrettable. And I would like to think of ways to avoid it if possible next time. I don’t want to see anyone die. Cop or civilian. If it can possibly be avoided.

You know why you don't fire into the ground? One word: ricochet.

Also, startling someone who's already swinging a knife at someone is an excellent way to make them lurch forward and CONTINUE THE SWING. Ever hear of momentum? Ever get startled by a loud, unexpected sound behind you? Did you freeze, or did you jump? Moron.

Maybe YOU should try thinking before flapping your gob about things you clearly know nothing about.

You convinced me. The shooting was absolutely not justified. Try and convict him for murder.

Awww, is your feewings hurt? I guess you showed me by your vicious decision to "think" something at me. I am cut to the quick by your incisive willingness to hold opinions based on whether or not someone is nice to you about your ignorance, rather than based on facts.

Actually, I'd be really glad that I upset you with my utter lack of respect for you as a sentient being . . . if it wasn't for the fact that I don't respect you enough to give a shit either way.

Oh god no. What happened is again a Rabid Right Wing idiot spoke up. Want to know why Chauvin was convicted. Idiots like you who opposed every change. No matter how minor.

Idiots like you who oppose any reform insured that the cops would not lead the effort like they should have. No. No changes. So instead the cops are being fired and charged with crimes and sent to prison. The changes came no matter how much morons like you opposed them. Now. The changes are resulting in cops going to prison.

So for twenty years I’ve argued for common sense reforms. For that long I’ve written letters and talked to people. Those common sense reforms are about to appear in the rear view mirror. Radical changes are coming. And more cops are going to prison.

It isn’t my fault. It’s yours that the thin blue line wants their members to go to prison. It isn’t BLM or Antifa. It’s you blistering idiots on the right who act like the smallest change to anything is right out of the communist playbook.

So fuck them. Let the cops go to jail and prison. It don’t affect me. I live way out in the country. Let you and the rest of the Suburbanites find yourselves overwhelmed by your own hatred. First you’ll blame the blacks. Then you’ll blame the brown. The Jews. And before long you’ll be drawing up lines based on religious affiliation. You idiots with tiny minds always do.

Next it is Kyle Rittenhouse who is headed to Prison. After him the McMichaels. And it is the fault of idiots just like you.
Chauvin was railroaded by an angry black mob. No one is swallowing this horseshit that the whiteman is responsible.

Chauvin IS guilty of Manslaughter. Once Floyd was in his custody he is then responsible for Floyds well being. After being informed that Floyd had no pulse he should have immediately begun rendering aid. There was a paramedic there, and they were prevented from helping Floyd. That action alone is manslaughter. Choose the cops you support carefully. This dude is a bad apple very much akin to the asshole who murdered Babbitt.
Possibly he's guilty of negligence, not manslaughter.

Nope. After being informed there was no pulse he maintained the knee in the neck for a further 2.5 minutes and prevented paramedics from aiding Floyd. That's manslaughter all the way.

Anyone but especially police can use deadly force to protect themselves and others from immanent bodily harm or death. This particular office had less than 10 seconds to assess the situation and act. What he saw was a large individual wheedling a butcher knife attacking two individuals. What would you have done in that situation?
The contrarian cranks offer no answers. Did you ever think you would see the day where shooting someone
about to drive a knife through a helpless victim would be controversial?

A percentage of the country is out of their minds. We must insure that percentage remains small.
I never thought the day would come when stabbing an innocent person was acceptable and not to be stopped.

No stabbing occurred and none was likely to occur if police had not arrived either.
Nor is shooting a teen 4 times with hollow point .40S&W the best way to stop it.
It sure seemed to work.

If police become more of a danger than do good, then one could used self defense when shooting a cop whenever you encounter one.
So for their own sake, it is better if police shoot at little as possible.
In fact, I think the old way it was 100 years ago, where there essentially were no police and armed neighbors took care of everything, likely was the best way.
Police are not working out.
They never can because they are not from the neighborhood and never know what is going on.
They are way to quick to shoot.
And 4 times?
Hollow point .40S&W?
That is just way over kill.

What could the police officer have done to save the life or lives of all concerned?
1. Approached the scene with 'his' hands in the air?

2. Pleaded with the child wielding the knife to reconsider?

3. Fired a shot into the ground or in the air? (result questionable?)

4. Possessed an attitude of caring for the value of human lives.

5. And beyond his control, not having to enter a potential crime scene in which outcome is so very much determined in America to result in death.

6. This conversation could become productive and meaningful if others could start to imagine how police murder can be reduced to proportions that are normal for the rest of the modern world.

Not so easy for people within a country that is on a mad rush toward fascism. But nevertheless, there is still 5% or so that have got the question right!

Police action at a crime scene or potential crime scene that results in death or deaths, is police failure.

Anyone but especially police can use deadly force to protect themselves and others from immanent bodily harm or death. This particular office had less than 10 seconds to assess the situation and act. What he saw was a large individual wheedling a butcher knife attacking two individuals. What would you have done in that situation?
The contrarian cranks offer no answers. Did you ever think you would see the day where shooting someone

A percentage of the country is out of their minds. We must insure that percentage remains small.
I never thought the day would come when stabbing an innocent person was acceptable and not to be stopped.

No stabbing occurred and none was likely to occur if police had not arrived either.
Nor is shooting a teen 4 times with hollow point .40S&W the best way to stop it.
It sure seemed to work.

If police become more of a danger than do good, then one could used self defense when shooting a cop whenever you encounter one.
In fact, I think the old way it was 100 years ago, where there essentially were no police and armed neighbors took care of everything, likely was the best way.
They never can because they are not from the neighborhood and never know what is going on.
And 4 times?
Hollow point .40S&W?

There's no such thing as overkill. You need to stop basing your opinion on movies.

What could the police officer have done to save the life or lives of all concerned?

5. And beyond his control, not having to enter a potential crime scene in which outcome is so very much determined in America to result in death.

6. This conversation could become productive and meaningful if others could start to imagine how police murder can be reduced to proportions that are normal for the rest of the modern world.

Not so easy for people within a country that is on a mad rush toward fascism. But nevertheless, there is still 5% or so that have got the question right!

As the knife is descending.

You're a moron.

That's being very suggestive of the possibility that the black victims of police murder will start fighting back and being proactive.

Black communities forming their own black police force and shutting out white violent police?

Worth commenting on as it's one of the very few posts that show any interest in the topic.

You're a moron.
The officer had 9 seconds. He did the right thing.

IMHO there is no justification for the police to allow anyone to murder an unarmed person.
The girl with the knife is attempting to murder an unarmed girl, totally unacceptable.
Anyone who blames the cop for anything other than doing his job "protecting" the unarmed girl is a racist gaslighting POS.

View attachment 482782

The Biden admin just can't stop blaming cops instead of blaming criminals!? The GOP has lots of ammo for 2022 and 2024.
Fortunately, we have a system of jurisprudence under which an impartial jury is presented with evidence and decides accordingly. It is far from perfect, but is preferable to the plethora of snap judgments based upon limited information and pre-existing prejudices one way or another.

Was Stallone justified in stabbing and then shooting this perp in the classic film "Cobra"?

If Stallone's victim was black, would it have made a diff?

IMHO there is no justification for the police to allow anyone to murder an unarmed person.
The girl with the knife is attempting to murder an unarmed girl, totally unacceptable.
Anyone who blames the cop for anything other than doing his job "protecting" the unarmed girl is a racist gaslighting POS.

View attachment 482782

The Biden admin just can't stop blaming cops instead of blaming criminals!? The GOP has lots of ammo for 2022 and 2024.
Fortunately, we have a system of jurisprudence under which an impartial jury is presented with evidence and decides accordingly. It is far from perfect, but is preferable to the plethora of snap judgments based upon limited information and pre-existing prejudices one way or another.

That's the question in Minneapolis. Was the jury impartial at all? Or were they more concerned about preventing rioting, burning and looting by coming up with the predetermined "correct" verdict?

You're a moron.
For your sake alone Westwall, why would you think I give a fk? It's all just more dead Americans due to their own choices, and it's all good. Spew out the venom and the hate boy, it's going to kill you faster than it will anybody else.

Disclaimer: this lowlife piece of shit needs a reply suited to his mindset alone.

It sure seemed to work.

And 4 times?
Hollow point .40S&W?

There's no such thing as overkill. You need to stop basing your opinion on movies.

Of course there is such a thing as over kill.
For example, you don't shoot a shoplifter running away.
You sometimes shoot a knife wielder, but usually it is not necessary.
And even if you do have to shoot, 1 shot is clearly more than enough.
Less lethal force would have been better, but the only reason a gun is excusable at all is that something like a taser might have taken too long to prepare.
But 4 shots is way more than sufficient.
That shows a deliberate intent to kill instead of defend.
It is rare and unlikely that knives are fatal, and there is no indication this had any real intent to harm.
Otherwise the knife deaths would have occurred before the police arrived 15 minutes after being called.

You're a moron.
The officer had 9 seconds. He did the right thing.

Are you saying he could not have done something better, especially if he had more time?
Like not firing 4 shots?

And by the way, the knife was not descending, but a right to left round house swing.

teen-knife-1619128787.png

He had 9 seconds. Fatso would have killed her. By the time the cop got close Fatty would have stabbed that girl 7 times then cut her throat. Two days before this a 13 year old girl cut another 13 year old girl's throat with a pocket knife. A month ago a teen girl picked up a kitchen knife in Walmart and put it in another girl's heart.

Seems like black teens know more about knife fighting than you do.

That's the question in Minneapolis. Was the jury impartial at all? Or were they more concerned about preventing rioting, burning and looting by coming up with the predetermined "correct" verdict?
Second-guessing juries is common among folks whose snap judgments and predispositions cause them to disagree with a jury's verdict.

Unless there is credible evidence that members of the jury have not followed the instructions to them in reaching that verdict, indicting them is merely an expression of the prejudice of some folks who are not as impartial and have not been as intimately acquainted with the evidence.

Our system is far from perfect, but it's the best we've devised.

The only thing I have a problem with is always, no matter the reason, shooting to kill....why can't cops be trained to shoot to maime in certain cases like with an attacker yielding a knife?
Actually, police are trained to aim for center mass. I don't believe they are shooting to kill, they are shooting to stop the target. Center mass being the place where a lot of vital organs are located.

You'd really have a hard time trying to shoot to maim. Trying to shoot for the legs or arms is difficult. You'd end up missing a lot of shots.

I'm sure those with more knowledge will correct me, but I'm thinking this is accurate.
He shot her FOUR TIMES, center mass. 4 shots...not 1 or even twice, or even thrice, but 4 shots?? Why was that necessary?
I don't know. That will be answered in the coming weeks.
I don't necessarily want him to get in trouble....he likely was following procedure or training...

But it is something that should be discussed, out in the open, imo. Is this what we want our law enforcement to continue to do? Is there a way to make it better, so cops are still safe, and fewer perps are killed before their trial and convictions? Is their training the right training, making a traffic ticket, or warrant being served or 20 $ counterfeit used, or a knife wielding person vs a gun pointing at you person, all the same....shoot to kill????

That's just hard to stomach for me......
I don't know. He had seconds to read the situation and a split second to make a decision.

Again, officers are not trying to shoot to kill, they are shooting to stop. That's why you don't see head shots from police. One, because it's harder to hit and also, their goal is not to kill, but to stop the threat.

You're a moron.
For your sake alone Westwall, why would you think I give a fk? It's all just more dead Americans due to their own choices, and it's all good. Spew out the venom and the hate boy, it's going to kill you faster than it will anybody else.

Disclaimer: this lowlife piece of shit needs a reply suited to his mindset alone.

If you didn't give a fuck you wouldn't be here trolling, sport.

Forum List

Back