Warren and Schumer urge student debt cancellation of up to $50,000 for all federal borrowers

I will say - honestly... that is rarely the students fault in full.
Working hand in hand, the government and universities provide loans no matter the students performance. Universities keep right on pushing failing students through, and the colleges keep right on getting paid. ALL so Washington politicians can brag about how many $billions in student loans/grants they give.

Cracker, please.

The only reason you hate universities is because they promote liberal politics.

When it comes to criminal abuse of customers, the universities have nothing on the insurance companies...

Interesting idea. We wouldn't be in this position if our liberal politicians didn't insist that everyone has a right to go to college, regardless if they're intellectually or emotionally qualified. But I can understand why liberals want to get as many people in their brainwashing factories as possible. Colleges condition the student to support the Democrats who have bribed them with unaffordable promises for years, and now they expect to confiscate the money from the uninvolved American worker. No thanks. MAGA

But who made the unaffordable promise.

The real problem is most good paying jobs REQUIRE a bachelor's degree. It's a simple matter of supply and demand, really. More people need Bachelor degrees - but the number of seats in universities hasn't increased. Demand goes up, supply stays the same, prices increase.

I worked in purchasing for many years. Most purchasing jobs require a bachelor's degree. Why? No idea. The skills you need to be good at purchasing really can't be learned at college. (My own career path was through the Army in logistics and then moving to purchasing in the civilian world.)

So in 2008, when the recession hit and they fired the buyers in my department, I was able to land a new gig in about four weeks, but the lady who had a lot more experience than I did but no degree, wasn't able to land a new gig for more than a year.

To put it in perspective. When I graduated from UIC In 1985, tuition was about $1500 a year. That would be about $4751 in today's Dollars. In my case, the Army National Guard picked up most of my tuition, but I could still pay that working minimum wage jobs working 20 hours a week.

By comparison- UIC today costs $13,574 for in state tuition. About three times what it cost then. Working a full time minimum wage job in Illinois ($8.25 an hour) would net you $17,160. Which means you would have less than $4000 to pay for food, housing, books, transportation, clothing and so on.

Now, why has pricing gone up? Part of the reason as I said was demand. part of the reason was that back in the day, most of those operating costs for state universities were picked up by the state. The State cuts funding, they have to go to the students. The students don't have the funding, they have to go to the banks.

Then when Trump fucks up the economy, you find that they can't pay these loans back. Funny how that works.
Wasn't it just a few months ago obama and biden were trying to take credit for the trump economy

Degree prices so high no bank would approve a loan for them without that Federal government guarantee of repayment. So with the Federal government guaranteeing repayment universities are free to jack up the price of the degree, the Dem party gets it's kick back, the university sits happy on a pile of cash, the kids well they are screwed.

I don't think this is really true. Well motivated students seeking degrees in academic disciplines where there is a demand for graduates are usually good. Those in other fields can get co-signers or pledge collateral to make it worthwhile for the lenders.

The facts prove otherwise. Look at the price increase of virtually anything else over the past 40 years vs the cost of a degree, it's off the charts.

The number of Student Loan Deadbeats who don't meet their obligations varies according to both college and major field of study. That's the facts. It isn't the same across the board.

Whether you like it or not, there is information to estimate the risk to the lender.

You are deflecting. Again the price of tuition has skyrocketed compared to the price of anything else.

Until you see people like JoeBlow even address the fact there are 100's of colleges and universities that rake in $10s and even $100s millions per year from taxpayers - with graduation rates as low as the SINGLE DIGIT %.... the problem will go on and on and on.

Universities should be the ones to cancel that debt.

But then, who would fund the democrat indoctrination centers?

Funny how everyone seems to be hurting during economic hard times, EXCEPT left wing universities around the country that keep raising tuition anyway.

Of course, there is a simple enough solution to this. Have employers stop demanding bachelor degrees for jobs that don't require them.
Lower the costs of the colleges and get rid of the useless.

Follow the money, it flows right into the Democratic party coffers.

Democrats, assholes that they are PREY on kids by charging them tuition the size of a f'ing home mortgage to purchase a degree. Saddling the kids with a staggering amount of student loan debt that stunts their lives financially for the next 10-20 years.

Degree prices so high no bank would approve a loan for them without that Federal government guarantee of repayment. So with the Federal government guaranteeing repayment universities are free to jack up the price of the degree, the Dem party gets it's kick back, the university sits happy on a pile of cash, the kids well they are screwed.

Again, you are confused, Wingnut.

It used to be the states subsidized the universities... Now it all comes out of tuition.

The reason why these kids spend so much on degrees is that they can't get good paying jobs without one.

The cost of tuition relative to the cost of anything else over the past 40 years has skyrocketed, a fact that utterly destroys your narrative. Be gone from my sight your argument is ignorant.
JoeBlow argument is almost always ignorant. Got to stop answering him.
Gipper is usually decent, but in this thread... holy cow.
Do you remember the GI Bill after WWII, and what it did for our economy? Student loan forgiveness will do much the same.

It’s clear tuition costs have gone up exponentially, only HC costs have gone higher. It’s a scam, just like HC costs. Time to kill it.

Democrats, assholes that they are PREY on kids by charging them tuition the size of a f'ing home mortgage to purchase a degree. Saddling the kids with a staggering amount of student loan debt that stunts their lives financially for the next 10-20 years.

It used to be the states subsidized the universities... Now it all comes out of tuition.

The reason why these kids spend so much on degrees is that they can't get good paying jobs without one.

The cost of tuition relative to the cost of anything else over the past 40 years has skyrocketed, a fact that utterly destroys your narrative. Be gone from my sight your argument is ignorant.
And...I’m always right. Don’t forget it.

Of course they do. Destroying the value of contracts will permit an escape from one's own stupidity.

Warren and Schumer urge student debt cancellation of up to $50,000 for all federal borrowers
Universities should be the ones to cancel that debt.

But then, who would fund the democrat indoctrination centers?

Funny how everyone seems to be hurting during economic hard times, EXCEPT left wing universities around the country that keep raising tuition anyway.
Yes, if their student can't earn enough from their degree in 10 years to pay for the tuition, the university should refund the earnings shortfall to the lender.
Interesting idea. We wouldn't be in this position if our liberal politicians didn't insist that everyone has a right to go to college, regardless if they're intellectually or emotionally qualified. But I can understand why liberals want to get as many people in their brainwashing factories as possible. Colleges condition the student to support the Democrats who have bribed them with unaffordable promises for years, and now they expect to confiscate the money from the uninvolved American worker. No thanks. MAGA
Major Windfall Money should be confiscated from ex-students / graduates, because education made their success possible.

But who made the unaffordable promise.

The real problem is most good paying jobs REQUIRE a bachelor's degree. It's a simple matter of supply and demand, really. More people need Bachelor degrees - but the number of seats in universities hasn't increased. Demand goes up, supply stays the same, prices increase.

I worked in purchasing for many years. Most purchasing jobs require a bachelor's degree. Why? No idea. The skills you need to be good at purchasing really can't be learned at college. (My own career path was through the Army in logistics and then moving to purchasing in the civilian world.)

So in 2008, when the recession hit and they fired the buyers in my department, I was able to land a new gig in about four weeks, but the lady who had a lot more experience than I did but no degree, wasn't able to land a new gig for more than a year.

To put it in perspective. When I graduated from UIC In 1985, tuition was about $1500 a year. That would be about $4751 in today's Dollars. In my case, the Army National Guard picked up most of my tuition, but I could still pay that working minimum wage jobs working 20 hours a week.

By comparison- UIC today costs $13,574 for in state tuition. About three times what it cost then. Working a full time minimum wage job in Illinois ($8.25 an hour) would net you $17,160. Which means you would have less than $4000 to pay for food, housing, books, transportation, clothing and so on.

Now, why has pricing gone up? Part of the reason as I said was demand. part of the reason was that back in the day, most of those operating costs for state universities were picked up by the state. The State cuts funding, they have to go to the students. The students don't have the funding, they have to go to the banks.

Then when Trump fucks up the economy, you find that they can't pay these loans back. Funny how that works.
student loans were an issue before him ya fuck.

Do you remember the GI Bill after WWII, and what it did for our economy? Student loan forgiveness will do much the same.

It’s clear tuition costs have gone up exponentially, only HC costs have gone higher. It’s a scam, just like HC costs. Time to kill it.
Dude... it is robbing Peter to pay Paul.
Do you believe there is some magic fairy hand that when all is "wrote off" the debts magically disappear??
NO.
The debt will still be there, and ONCE AGAIN the American taxpayer has bailed out liberal policies that rack up costs/debts to the sky.
IT DOESN'T SOLVE THE PROBLEM.
It is not even a band-aid.

• Thanks
Reactions: DBA
And to note - I have two kids with Student Loan debt. Yet, I am NOT for this.
Why?
Because both my kids have a great job as a direct result of their degrees.
The PROBLEM - is our government grossly over-encouraging kids to go to college that HAVE NO BUSINESS GOING. Couple that with schools jacking up their tuition because the government just keeps right on writing checks with no strings attached... even for 100,000s of failing students.
There are universities that take in $100s millions PER YEAR.... with fail rates OVER 90%!!
How the hell do these colleges still exist???

Boy - sure killed this thread.
It is hard for liberals to admit that the "everyone should go to college" fairyland policy - IS A DISASTER. That has racked up high debts on a few million "students" that never graduated... because... wait for it... they shouldn't have went to college in the first place!! You got students that didn't even graduate high school, flunking every class their freshman year - still in college!! Having a grand ol' time partying it up with all expenses paid so liberals can brag about how much they spend sending "unfortnate" students to a place they don't belong.

• Thanks
Reactions: DBA

Do you believe there is some magic fairy hand that when all is "wrote off" the debts magically disappear??
NO.
The debt will still be there, and ONCE AGAIN the American taxpayer has bailed out liberal policies that rack up costs/debts to the sky.
No, it’s robbing thieves to pay Paul.

NO.
:rolleyes:

NO.
Why do you hate your fellow Americans?

NO.
Why do you excuse grossly failed policies that, even as liberals are demanding bail out for THEIR policy, have no desire to fix the problem... so in a few more years again... they can demand bailouts again and again.
They love to stand on a podium and brag about passing legislation that provides "much needed assistance to impoverished and minority students" [applause] [cheering]... when the legislation provides NO REQUIREMENTS on students to - you know - actually study and even attend the classes they signed up for.

NO.
Why do you excuse grossly failed policies that, even as liberals are demanding bail out for THEIR policy, have no desire to fix the problem... so in a few more years again... they can demand bailouts again and again.
They love to stand on a podium and brag about passing legislation that provides "much needed assistance to impoverished and minority students" [applause] [cheering]... when the legislation provides NO REQUIREMENTS on students to - you know - actually study and even attend the classes they signed up for.
Because I suspect a debt jubilee will fix the problem.

When our corrupt government under the last several presidents bail out big corporations and big banks with enormous sums of taxpayer dollars, it’s time to help the people. After all, money grows on trees. Just ask the Fed and the US Treasury.

NO.

When our corrupt government under the last several presidents bail out big corporations and big banks with enormous sums of taxpayer dollars, it’s time to help the people. After all, money grows on trees. Just ask the Fed and the US Treasury.
I have no argument to that, but Trump did much better than "Mr. WallSTreet" Obama.
The Obama administration bailed out all of the banks and investment firms, including projected profits, that owned mortgages across the nation while 2 million people were kicked out of their homes. The result was a record profit/growth period for Wall Street that lasted 5 years in a row. And we all sucked on it.
Fast forward to 2020. The Covid restriction fiasco created holocaust conditions for businesses. Trump, from day one said the stimulus would INCLUDE the small guys this time. And it did. We received $$ in PPP that absolutely saved our business. And Many-many others.
The PPP was not perfect, but it was a HUGE far cry better than the greatest tax payer robbery in U.S. history also known as TARP

NO.

I have no argument to that, but Trump did much better than "Mr. WallSTreet" Obama.
The Obama administration bailed out all of the banks and investment firms, including projected profits, that owned mortgages across the nation while 2 million people were kicked out of their homes. The result was a record profit/growth period for Wall Street that lasted 5 years in a row. And we all sucked on it.
Fast forward to 2020. The Covid restriction fiasco created holocaust conditions for businesses. Trump, from day one said the stimulus would INCLUDE the small guys this time. And it did. We received $$ in PPP that absolutely saved our business. And Many-many others.
The PPP was not perfect, but it was a HUGE far cry better than the greatest tax payer robbery in U.S. history also known as TARP
Yes, Ears was the black mascot of Wall Street, yet millions of Americans somehow think he was great. As for a Trump, you’re dreaming. The lion share of the CARES Act went to the wealthy, with a small share going to the people. It’s the same old story repeated over and over. The ultra wealthy get socialism and the people get capitalism.

NO.

Yes, Ears was the black mascot of Wall Street, yet millions of Americans somehow think he was great. As for a Trump, you’re dreaming. The lion share of the CARES Act went to the wealthy, with a small share going to the people. It’s the same old story repeated over and over. The ultra wealthy get socialism and the people get capitalism.
In 1992 Ross Perot said much of this. At one point Bush, Clinton and Perot each had about 33% of the potential vote. The Perot dropped out of the race. Why? Then he came back in and got about 20% of the vote. That guaranteed Clinton a victory. He ran again in 1996 to guarantee Clinton a victory again. A third party candidate must have the chance to win. And be honest in his intentions. In 1992 he just suspended his candidacy.....then returned.

Forum List

Back