WaPo: Trump “possibly violated a federal directive” by tweeting about jobs report before its release

A jobs report does not deal with either stocks nor bonds. No company is helped or hurt by a jobs report.

"Trump, like past presidents, is given a preview of the sensitive report before its official release, but a 1985 directive issued by the Reagan administration requires that the executive branch not comment on the information until an hour after it is made public."

This is one more instance of corruption in the Trump administration. Reagan sought to prevent insider trading and politization:

The rule governing comment on the jobs data was put in place for at least two reasons. First, financial markets respond immediately to the monthly report, and a premature release could lead to insider trading or market manipulation.

Second, there has been a strong effort to insulate this information from political leaders, as advance discussion of the data could make it seem politicized. During the Obama administration, Trump routinely said that the numbers in the jobs report had been tampered with to bolster Democrats’ political prospects.

Trump breaks with decades of protocol with tweet before release of jobs report
trumpanzees don't care how many laws are broken.

If Trump does not express anticipation for seeing the jobs numbers on July 6th at 7:30 am, will it serve as a signal to the market?
So you really think merely saying your looking forward to seeing the jobs numbers, will move the market???

Come on LL, I know you aren't really this stupid.

Question. Did you see that tweet before 8:30 am yesterday?
Irrelevant. He stated nothing that mattered. Stop being a dupe to DNC media.

Well, I did. And my first thought was that the report was going to be good.

If I dealt in bonds, I'd have made a phone call....as so many did.

It was an improper thing to do. Your failure to acknowledge that fact is puzzling to a normal person.
Of all the things to bitch about, this ain’t one. Entirely made up by DNC media, and you swallowed it.

"Trump, like past presidents, is given a preview of the sensitive report before its official release, but a 1985 directive issued by the Reagan administration requires that the executive branch not comment on the information until an hour after it is made public."

This is one more instance of corruption in the Trump administration. Reagan sought to prevent insider trading and politization:

The rule governing comment on the jobs data was put in place for at least two reasons. First, financial markets respond immediately to the monthly report, and a premature release could lead to insider trading or market manipulation.

Second, there has been a strong effort to insulate this information from political leaders, as advance discussion of the data could make it seem politicized. During the Obama administration, Trump routinely said that the numbers in the jobs report had been tampered with to bolster Democrats’ political prospects.

I have to admit you people are getting really inventive now.

Desperate times call for desperate measures, but this is just ludicrous.

Hate to break it to you but the edicts of a previous President do not prevent a future President from doing differently it is called Executive Privilege. And one President can not prevent another from acting on his.

If Trump violated federal protocol, that could be added to impeachment charges.

I hope no one is silly enough to suggest this is an Executive Privileges issue, because that would reveal such a person is lost in a land that never existed.

There has never been such a claim of protection before on this matter.

“Looking forward to seeing the employment numbers at 8:30 this morning,”

Stop the far left presses, he said he was looking forward to reading something!
There's a federal directive that makes that a crime, dontcha know lolol.
Wrong the President does not CREATE law and the directive was from a President. Following Presidents can ignore it change it or delete it at will.

I hope no one is silly enough to suggest this is an Executive Privileges issue, because that would reveal such a person is lost in a land that never existed.

Wrong retard A PRESIDENT made the Directive NOT the Congress following Presidents are free to ignore it or change it.

I was flipping through the channels on the radio, happened across CNN and heard them talking about this. Even they thought it was pretty weak sauce. As do I.

Wrong retard A PRESIDENT made the Directive NOT the Congress following Presidents are free to ignore it or change it.
Thank you for showing in your anger that you don't understand the issue. This is not an Executive Privilege defense, RGS. No one even suggested that Congress was involved: that was you with a red herring.

Thank you for showing in your anger that you don't understand the issue. This is not an Executive Privilege defense, RGS. No one even suggested that Congress was involved: that was you with a red herring.
My point EXACTLY, you claimed Trump could not violate it cause he had no authority. I noted it was created BY A PRESIDENT and thus can be ignored changed or deleted by another President at their whim.

My point EXACTLY, you claimed Trump could not violate it cause he had no authority. I noted it was created BY A PRESIDENT and thus can be ignored changed or deleted by another President at their whim.
Try it, and he ends up in court and loses. He won't try that.

Forum List

Back