Waitress Tipping: A math question for leftys

Your typical waitress at typical restaurant does not make 400 per night! So lets start there!People with math skills woulod rather deal in the possible instead of your shit!

Prove it ...
Go fuck your self I am not your little monkey! You prove youir assertion dumb fuck!
so you make a ridiculous comment and the other dude is a dumb fk? how does that work? You didn't provide any evidence to support your claim.
I make a ridiculous comment? How many of your waitresses make 400 poer night! Go fuck your self!
millions do. Ever heard of restaurants that serve expensive meals? you know where 10 tables where the bill was 100 dollars per table with just one sitting will get a waitress 200 bucks. How many times you think a table turns over a night? most likely five times. can you do the math? I find it interesting that you all never use logic to fight your battles. strange concept to enter a debate with "cause you say so" arguments. it is typical in here and you sir are one of em.
Waitress usually shares her tips

Prove it ...
Go fuck your self I am not your little monkey! You prove youir assertion dumb fuck!
so you make a ridiculous comment and the other dude is a dumb fk? how does that work? You didn't provide any evidence to support your claim.
I make a ridiculous comment? How many of your waitresses make 400 poer night! Go fuck your self!
millions do. Ever heard of restaurants that serve expensive meals? you know where 10 tables where the bill was 100 dollars per table with just one sitting will get a waitress 200 bucks. How many times you think a table turns over a night? most likely five times. can you do the math? I find it interesting that you all never use logic to fight your battles. strange concept to enter a debate with "cause you say so" arguments. it is typical in here and you sir are one of em.
Waitress usually shares her tips
Yep with the bus boys and bartenders!

Who makes more, A great waitress making $400 bucks in tips a night, or a waitress being paid a minimum wage of say $15 bucks an hour no tips allowed?

Was reading this story and these two quotes stood out..

Why its better to give restaurant workers the minimum wage than argue over tips - MarketWatch

Tipped workers are unambiguously better off in cities where tipped workers are paid the regular minimum wage, regardless of tips,” said David Cooper, senior economic analyst at the Economic Policy Institute.

I lived in Japan where tiping is not the custom if you leave a tip the server will follow you out the door to return it. Eating out is more
expensive. Owners have found some interesting ways to eliminate the need for servers one of my favorite Resteraunts had vending machines with the menu displayed alongside buttons, make a selection put your money in the slot be issued a number in a short time
your number is displayed on a board and you go get your food. At places with a wait staff the service was fast polite and friendly. I have found that with a 20% tip the prices are roughly equal.
Does eliminating tips help wait staff?
Not really, but a new report argues that the emphasis should be on giving restaurant workers the minimum wage.

Why it’s better to give restaurant workers the minimum wage (than argue over tips)
By Kari Paul
Published: Sep 12, 2018 5:05 pm ET

A new analysis finds Washington, D.C. and other cities may benefit from eliminating tips
MW-FE589_waitre_ZH_20170127101748.jpg

Waitresses are overworked and depressed, studies show.
Does eliminating tips help wait staff? Not really, but a new report argues that the emphasis should be on giving restaurant workers the minimum wage.

After San Francisco and Seattle enacted a $15 minimum wage for all workers, employees in the restaurant industry saw improvements, according to a study by the Economic Policy Institute released on Wednesday. The study compared those two cities to Washington D.C., where a similar policy has been proposed. It found Washington, D.C. and other cities would benefit from a “one fair wage policy.”

Tipped workers are unambiguously better off in cities where tipped workers are paid the regular minimum wage, regardless of tips,” said David Cooper, senior economic analyst at the Economic Policy Institute.

Don’t miss: If you can’t afford to tip 20%, should you go to a different restaurant?

The D.C. Council is considering overturning Initiative 77, a measure passed in June that would gradually raise D.C.’s tipped minimum wage over eight years until it’s equal to the federal minimum wage in 2026, under pressure from the restaurant industry.

The National Restaurant Association and the Metropolitan Washington Area Restaurant Association have arguedraising the minimum wage for restaurant workers would lead to layoffs, closures, and a decrease in pay to employees due to a decline in tipping from customers. “We believe that this initiative would deal a huge blow to our local industry and would make it more difficult to build and sustain the kinds of safe and professional work environments we believe should be the standard,” a “Vote No 77” campaign launched by Washington, D.C. bar owners said.

Yes they do, the company reports it, no way to tell exactly with tipping, it's the honor system.
*Unless the tips are paid by debit or credit or gift card. These tips are now tracked and appear on pay statements, in general.
if I don't have enough cash to cover the tip, I will put 15% on the credit card and pay an additional tip with the cash I do have to ensure they have money they don't have to report.

Who makes more, A great waitress making $400 bucks in tips a night, or a waitress being paid a minimum wage of say $15 bucks an hour no tips allowed?

Why its better to give restaurant workers the minimum wage than argue over tips - MarketWatch

Not really, but a new report argues that the emphasis should be on giving restaurant workers the minimum wage.

Why it’s better to give restaurant workers the minimum wage (than argue over tips)
By Kari Paul

A new analysis finds Washington, D.C. and other cities may benefit from eliminating tips

Does eliminating tips help wait staff? Not really, but a new report argues that the emphasis should be on giving restaurant workers the minimum wage.

After San Francisco and Seattle enacted a $15 minimum wage for all workers, employees in the restaurant industry saw improvements, according to a study by the Economic Policy Institute released on Wednesday. The study compared those two cities to Washington D.C., where a similar policy has been proposed. It found Washington, D.C. and other cities would benefit from a “one fair wage policy.”

Don’t miss: If you can’t afford to tip 20%, should you go to a different restaurant?

The D.C. Council is considering overturning Initiative 77, a measure passed in June that would gradually raise D.C.’s tipped minimum wage over eight years until it’s equal to the federal minimum wage in 2026, under pressure from the restaurant industry.

The National Restaurant Association and the Metropolitan Washington Area Restaurant Association have arguedraising the minimum wage for restaurant workers would lead to layoffs, closures, and a decrease in pay to employees due to a decline in tipping from customers. “We believe that this initiative would deal a huge blow to our local industry and would make it more difficult to build and sustain the kinds of safe and professional work environments we believe should be the standard,” a “Vote No 77” campaign launched by Washington, D.C. bar owners said.

I can't tell from.your OP which side of the issue you are on.

Personally I believe they would be better off getting paid a living hourly wage.

But do THEY think that? Their opinion matters.

It comes down to this choice:

Do I want a job situation where I make a regular, mediocre income no matter how I work or one where I can make a lot more if I bust my butt and provide superior service? The American choice has usually been the latter.
At my age and situation none of my friends or family are waiters anymore, but when I was younger there were many, and I clearly remember several of them mentioning how much they hated depending on tips for a living.

Besides, paying them a living wage doesn't me you can't tip them a bit if they do an exceptional job now does it?

Shouldn't they have the choice?

Your typical waitress at typical restaurant does not make 400 per night! So lets start there!People with math skills woulod rather deal in the possible instead of your shit!

Prove it ...

Well I want to work at the place that gives you a ten table section. For most upscale restaurants you will be lucky to have a three table section, four if you are a true power server and the place is short staffed. Five turns a night is a good estimate, for a mid-level Outback or Applebees. For fine dining about all you can hope for is two and many times it is just one. To make the four hundred dollars one is going to have to do about two thousand in volume. I did a thousand a night at Outback some twenty years ago so two thousand is most certainly within reach. But to walk with twenty percent on two thousand day in and day out one is going to have to be one hell of a server in a place that is on a wait every single night. I could do it, but to this day I am still a legend in these parts.

Yes they do, the company reports it, no way to tell exactly with tipping, it's the honor system.
*Unless the tips are paid by debit or credit or gift card. These tips are now tracked and appear on pay statements, in general.
if I don't have enough cash to cover the tip, I will put 15% on the credit card and pay an additional tip with the cash I do have to ensure they have money they don't have to report.

Let's clear something up about the non-reporting of tip income. First, all credit card tips are reported to the IRS, and believe me, they check that shit. But for cash sales the IRS "assigns" an eight percent tip. If you leave ten percent the server is going in the hole. After a three percent "tip-out" to the hostesses, busboys, and bartender the waitress is looking at seven percent when the IRS is "assigning" her eight.

Personally, I would rather they be paid a decent wage and not rely on me to subsidize their pay
They will still rely on you to pay their wages, as the menu prices will just increase.

That is also why such a decision would have to be "State-wide", as people are not rational and will go where the stated prices are lower, despite the fact that they may end up paying more, after tipping.
The difference being that they are making a conscious decision to reward superior service through a generous tip. Again, it's about choice. Isn't that important?

Let's clear something up about the non-reporting of tip income. First, all credit card tips are reported to the IRS, and believe me, they check that shit. But for cash sales the IRS "assigns" an eight percent tip. If you leave ten percent the server is going in the hole. After a three percent "tip-out" to the hostesses, busboys, and bartender the waitress is looking at seven percent when the IRS is "assigning" her eight.

Service has got to be really really bad for me to leave ten percent. My standard is 20. I do try to leave it in cash if I have it.

By Kari Paul

Personally I believe they would be better off getting paid a living hourly wage.

Do I want a job situation where I make a regular, mediocre income no matter how I work or one where I can make a lot more if I bust my butt and provide superior service? The American choice has usually been the latter.
At my age and situation none of my friends or family are waiters anymore, but when I was younger there were many, and I clearly remember several of them mentioning how much they hated depending on tips for a living.

Besides, paying them a living wage doesn't me you can't tip them a bit if they do an exceptional job now does it?

They must of been bad at it/ wrong place.

My wife used to make a killing at it , she used to worked at Applebee's, IHOP in Chicago. It's one of the peoplele pleaser skill jobs .

But the compensation servers receive typically does not include benefits of any kind. No 401(k) match, no paid time off, and no health insurance. So servers are not very secure, economically.
Also a slow day = no paycheck.

By Kari Paul

Paying them a living wage doesn't mean you can't tip them.for doing an exceptional job.

By Kari Paul

Paying them a living wage doesn't mean you can't tip them.for doing an exceptional job.

Don't know about you but a $15 dollar an hour minimum wage is not a living wage in Seattle, New York city or Chicago

When I co-owned a restauarant, we paid our servers about 3x the server minimum wage. It was worth every penny. We had better people who stayed longer and were more reliable, and it made the restaurant a desirable place to work. Our servers were happier and more financially secure, as their paychecks were actually enough to cover their taxes (many if not most servers get served with a tax bill every year, at current hourly wages). This only raised our labor costs overall by about 6%, easily rolled into menu prices. This may be a luxury that chain restaurants cannot afford, when competing with other chains not doing this.

So you paid them what $6.39 an hour??? Did you not encourage tips?
$6 to start, with raises later. And tips were encouraged.

I do know a bartender at the Boise restaurant who told me he's making 2-3 hundred on average.
So, with slow nights and time off...what, maybe $40K/yr with zero benefits? Not exactly the high life. He must enjoy that lifestyle.

That's kind of you, but servers really should report all their tips. They will need to do so, if they want a mortgage, or a car loan.

Again, it's about choice. Isn't that important?
Not really. Not to me , anyway. I am no less concerned about that choice whenever I buy something from people that don't accept tips. Which is literally nearly everybody else I buy things from.

Forum List

Back