Waitress Tipping: A math question for leftys

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
Who makes more, A great waitress making $400 bucks in tips a night, or a waitress being paid a minimum wage of say $15 bucks an hour no tips allowed?

Was reading this story and these two quotes stood out..

Why its better to give restaurant workers the minimum wage than argue over tips - MarketWatch

Tipped workers are unambiguously better off in cities where tipped workers are paid the regular minimum wage, regardless of tips,” said David Cooper, senior economic analyst at the Economic Policy Institute.

Does eliminating tips help wait staff?
Not really, but a new report argues that the emphasis should be on giving restaurant workers the minimum wage.

Why it’s better to give restaurant workers the minimum wage (than argue over tips)
By Kari Paul
Published: Sep 12, 2018 5:05 pm ET

A new analysis finds Washington, D.C. and other cities may benefit from eliminating tips
MW-FE589_waitre_ZH_20170127101748.jpg

Waitresses are overworked and depressed, studies show.
Does eliminating tips help wait staff? Not really, but a new report argues that the emphasis should be on giving restaurant workers the minimum wage.

After San Francisco and Seattle enacted a $15 minimum wage for all workers, employees in the restaurant industry saw improvements, according to a study by the Economic Policy Institute released on Wednesday. The study compared those two cities to Washington D.C., where a similar policy has been proposed. It found Washington, D.C. and other cities would benefit from a “one fair wage policy.”

Tipped workers are unambiguously better off in cities where tipped workers are paid the regular minimum wage, regardless of tips,” said David Cooper, senior economic analyst at the Economic Policy Institute.

Don’t miss: If you can’t afford to tip 20%, should you go to a different restaurant?

The D.C. Council is considering overturning Initiative 77, a measure passed in June that would gradually raise D.C.’s tipped minimum wage over eight years until it’s equal to the federal minimum wage in 2026, under pressure from the restaurant industry.

The National Restaurant Association and the Metropolitan Washington Area Restaurant Association have arguedraising the minimum wage for restaurant workers would lead to layoffs, closures, and a decrease in pay to employees due to a decline in tipping from customers. “We believe that this initiative would deal a huge blow to our local industry and would make it more difficult to build and sustain the kinds of safe and professional work environments we believe should be the standard,” a “Vote No 77” campaign launched by Washington, D.C. bar owners said.

Minimum wage does not usually apply to waiters
Why not let them decide?

Personally, I would rather they be paid a decent wage and not rely on me to subsidize their pay

I saw "Waitress Tipping" and I thought this was gonna be a thread about high school kids pushing waitresses over in the middle of the night. :uhh:

Why not let them decide?

Personally, I would rather they be paid a decent wage and not rely on me to subsidize their pay

They did in Vermont was it? They raised the minimum wage ( for people who got tips) then lowered it because bar tenders and such were complaining ..

But I love that line that "tips" don't matter...ye because they are trying to even the wage between good waitresses and lousy ones..

A little off-subject maybe but I've owned both a nightclub and a First Data agency and I can confirm that waiters/waitresses are where the majority of your credit card theft comes from. So, if they can't bring your bill to the table and do a wireless transaction in front of you, pay at the front counter. Don't ever let your credit/debit card out of your sight.

Why not let them decide?

They did in Vermont was it? They raised the minimum wage ( for people who got tips) then lowered it because bar tenders and such were complaining ..

But I love that line that "tips" don't matter...ye because they are trying to even the wage between good waitresses and lousy ones..

Servers are there for the owner of the business
He should pay them, not the customers

Who makes more, A great waitress making $400 bucks in tips a night, or a waitress being paid a minimum wage of say $15 bucks an hour no tips allowed?

Why its better to give restaurant workers the minimum wage than argue over tips - MarketWatch

Not really, but a new report argues that the emphasis should be on giving restaurant workers the minimum wage.

Why it’s better to give restaurant workers the minimum wage (than argue over tips)
By Kari Paul

A new analysis finds Washington, D.C. and other cities may benefit from eliminating tips

Does eliminating tips help wait staff? Not really, but a new report argues that the emphasis should be on giving restaurant workers the minimum wage.

After San Francisco and Seattle enacted a $15 minimum wage for all workers, employees in the restaurant industry saw improvements, according to a study by the Economic Policy Institute released on Wednesday. The study compared those two cities to Washington D.C., where a similar policy has been proposed. It found Washington, D.C. and other cities would benefit from a “one fair wage policy.”

Don’t miss: If you can’t afford to tip 20%, should you go to a different restaurant?

The D.C. Council is considering overturning Initiative 77, a measure passed in June that would gradually raise D.C.’s tipped minimum wage over eight years until it’s equal to the federal minimum wage in 2026, under pressure from the restaurant industry.

The National Restaurant Association and the Metropolitan Washington Area Restaurant Association have arguedraising the minimum wage for restaurant workers would lead to layoffs, closures, and a decrease in pay to employees due to a decline in tipping from customers. “We believe that this initiative would deal a huge blow to our local industry and would make it more difficult to build and sustain the kinds of safe and professional work environments we believe should be the standard,” a “Vote No 77” campaign launched by Washington, D.C. bar owners said.

They don't tip waitresses in Canada, I hear.

I have a friend who made a LOT of money working a couple nights a week tending bar for many years at the same place--had her regulars, could bring home hundreds in an evening. I know she would not have been clapping for $15 an hour.

Why not let them decide?

Same here in Maine. The new minimum wage law for tipped employees lasted less than a year.

Why not let them decide?

A meaningless distinction

You tip or you pay more for your meal

I'd rather tip and give the money to the wait staff than pay more for everything on the menu

By Kari Paul

I can't tell from.your OP which side of the issue you are on.

Personally I believe they would be better off getting paid a living hourly wage.

Why not let them decide?

Sure. He should increase his prices by 20%, pay his wait staff the minimum wage, and post signs forbidding tips.

How long does he stay in business?

By Kari Paul

Personally I believe they would be better off getting paid a living hourly wage.

But do THEY think that? Their opinion matters.

It comes down to this choice:

Do I want a job situation where I make a regular, mediocre income no matter how I work or one where I can make a lot more if I bust my butt and provide superior service? The American choice has usually been the latter.

Years ago, our family met at a resort for a family vacation and the restaurant there was putting the 20% on the menu prices, but that fact was in tiny print at the bottom of the menu I didn't see, so when I paid the bill, I added another 20% and I wondered why the waiter nearly kissed my feet. 40% ain't bad, considering he served me clams so gritty and dirty I had to send them back.

By Kari Paul

Your typical waitress at typical restaurant does not make 400 per night! So lets start there!People with math skills woulod rather deal in the possible instead of your shit!

By Kari Paul

But do THEY think that? Their opinion matters.

It comes down to this choice:

Do I want a job situation where I make a regular, mediocre income no matter how I work or one where I can make a lot more if I bust my butt and provide superior service? The American choice has usually been the latter.
At my age and situation none of my friends or family are waiters anymore, but when I was younger there were many, and I clearly remember several of them mentioning how much they hated depending on tips for a living.

Besides, paying them a living wage doesn't me you can't tip them a bit if they do an exceptional job now does it?

Why not let them decide?

And here is the problem. Who do you think is pay I g for their pay raise?
Answer. YOU ARE

I don’t care which pocket the money comes from

As a bill that I am expected to add a tip to or a bill that includes the charge for service

By Kari Paul

Your typical waitress at typical restaurant does not make 400 per night! So lets start there!People with math skills woulod rather deal in the possible instead of your shit!
She does if she is giving lap dances

Forum List

Back