Waffles

HereWeGoAgain

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2010
Fuck Y'all I'm From Texas!
The Wife and I are waffle fans,they beat pancakes hands down.
We've bought multiple waffle irons over the last 30 years and always end up disappointed. The only way to get them crispy is to toss them in the oven when they come out of the waffle iron. We all know that restaurants dont use an oven and their waffles are always nice and crunchy on the outside and fluffy on the inside.
We finally broke down and bought a low end commercial waffle iron. You can control both the temp and time rather than just a single knob for both.
This thing goes up to 570 degrees so I'm guessing crisp is not going to be an issue anymore.
It was kinda pricey at $300 bucks but we've spent that and probably more on all the other pieces of shit we've bought over the years.
We have high hopes for this one!!

1633217314698.png

My Breville (picked up in the UK) turns out perfect waffles EVERYTIME ... even the first waffle.

pdp0.jpg

My best waffle recipe ... in only use egg whites and I whip them and fold them gently into the batter.

We've bought multiple waffle irons over the last 30 years and always end up disappointed. The only way to get them crispy is to toss them in the oven when they come out of the waffle iron. We all know that restaurants dont use an oven and their waffles are always nice and crunchy on the outside and fluffy on the inside.
We finally broke down and bought a low end commercial waffle iron. You can control both the temp and time rather than just a single knob for both.
This thing goes up to 570 degrees so I'm guessing crisp is not going to be an issue anymore.
It was kinda pricey at $300 bucks but we've spent that and probably more on all the other pieces of shit we've bought over the years.

I have a waffle iron made in the 1950s. Looks very much like this. Got it at a yard sale for $15. It makes great waffles just like you want, crispy and brown on the outside and light and fluffy on the inside. It doesn't even have an on/off knob.

The key to getting a waffle toasted on the outside is HEAT. Enough heat to toast the outside before the inside has a chance to catch up.

9badaf9f2459.jpeg

View attachment 546651

1633218674429.png

I have a waffle iron made in the 1950s. Looks very much like this. Got it at a yard sale for $15. It makes great waffles just like you want, crispy and brown on the outside and light and fluffy on the inside. It doesn't even have an on/off knob.

The key to getting a waffle toasted on the outside is HEAT. Enough heat to toast the outside before the inside has a chance to catch up.

View attachment 546673

I had my Mothers old waffle iron. Old as in it had the cloth cord covering.
It made really good waffles but when it started to smoke and shoot sparks we figured it was time to retire it.

View attachment 546651

What you need is the malted flour waffle mix.....
Usually I found that it needed to be thinned out a bit and then a moment or two of extra baking time....then it's as crispy as you could ever want.

What you need is the malted flour waffle mix.....
Usually I found that it needed to be thinned out a bit and then a moment or two of extra baking time....then it's as crispy as you could ever want.

You can also add a bit more oil to your recipe.
Beaten egg whites folded into your mixture helps as well.

I had my Mothers old waffle iron. Old as in it had the cloth cord covering.
Yeah. Remember the old cloth electrical cord insulation when we were kids? Everything had it and they made it work. My parent's home had wiring in the walls that had that kind of insulation.

it started to smoke and shoot sparks we figured it was time to retire it.
I don't know if you can get in those things. Sounds like some sort of mineral-based insulator must have cracked from old age and it was shorting out.

To me, its all good, French toast, waffles, and pancakes, but French toast will always be at the top of my list which can only mean more waffles for the rest of y'all. :) :) :)

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Yeah. Remember the old cloth electrical cord insulation when we were kids? Everything had it and they made it work. My parent's home had wiring in the walls that had that kind of insulation.

I don't know if you can get in those things. Sounds like some sort of mineral-based insulator must have cracked from old age and it was shorting out.
That wiring in the walls....that wasn't cloth...that's asbestos.

I do like french toast at times.
I remember when I made French Toast for my uncle...
Of course I used french bread to make it with...

And he was all aglow about how good it was and asked me about how I came to the idea of using the bread I used...

My reply, " French Bread makes French Toast"

Got an email from the manufacture saying the waffle iron was out of stock and they didnt know when it would be back.
Of course they tried to sell me a waffle maker that was twice the price but made two waffles at a time.
Thats a no go for me.
Ended up ordering a Waring WW180X single Belgian Waffle maker. It cost another $100 bucks but at least it's in stock.

Waring WW180X Single Classic Belgian Waffle Maker w/ Cast Aluminum Grids, 1200W

Got an email from the manufacture saying the waffle iron was out of stock and they didnt know when it would be back.
Of course they tried to sell me a waffle maker that was twice the price but made two waffles at a time.
Thats a no go for me.
Ended up ordering a Waring WW180X single Belgian Waffle maker. It cost another $100 bucks but at least it's in stock.

Waring WW180X Single Classic Belgian Waffle Maker w/ Cast Aluminum Grids, 1200W
Shoulda tried a used restaurant equipment supply distributor...they probably would have one of what you are looking for.

Forum List

Back