Voters Oppose Removing Confederate Monuments

Rubbish. Try again, this time with less ridiculous spin. Apparently the idiot doesn't know the Republicans like Lincoln were Whigs, and were big fans of 'the American System' peddled by that Party and made it part of the Republican platform, which meant massive Federal welfare programs for their own states and the railroads, which of course also needed the 'Homestead Act' scams to go along with the free land they wanted to give away to the railroads, and getting the South to pay for it all while receiving none of the bennies. The Whigs didn't split over slavery, they split over graft and corruption, like all criminal gangs eventually do, squabbling over spoils.

That is EXACTLY what I said. They were Whigs. The anti-slavery Conscience Whigs that left and joined the free Soil anti-slavery party that became the Republican party.

But you are saying they didn't become anti-slavery until the anti slavery whigs forced them too? That's WHO THEY WERE!

AND IT WAS A WHIG WHO PUT TOGETHER THE TRANSATLANTIC RAILWAY BILL, NOT A REPUBLICAN BILL!!!!!

You are literally saying that Republicans had to appease the Whigs to get through a bill that THE WHIGS THEMSELVES PROPOSED!!! And how they did it was appeasing the exact reason the Republican party split from the Whig party.

It's literally like saying John McCain in order to get the Republican hope for Obamacare passed 8 years ago, finally agreed to let the Republican party be stronger on immigration and military spending.

It's that dumb of a premise you have there.

Tolerance is a word the anti-left ignore

On Tucker last night there was a historian who commented on what is happening today. He said the statue assaults have nothing to do with the Civil War or slavery. It's about political control. He compared the movement to that of Stalin, Mao, Taliban, etc. where at first you tear down monuments, then start burning books then eventually go after people.

Again, where does it end? If every Civil War statue was removed would the alt-left be satisfied? If not, what more would have to be done?

-Geaux

Great points, but you kinda have the sides switched there. The statues were put up in defiance. Of the lack of tolerance of accepting the civil rights movement. The statues have nothing to do with the Civil War. They were built immediately after Plessey vs. Ferguson to show the dixiecrats and KKK had political control. You are right.

On Tucker last night there was a historian who commented on what is happening today. He said the statue assaults have nothing to do with the Civil War or slavery. It's about political control. He compared the movement to that of Stalin, Mao, Taliban, etc. where at first you tear down monuments, then start burning books then eventually go after people.

Again, where does it end? If every Civil War statue was removed would the alt-left be satisfied? If not, what more would have to be done?

-Geaux

Great points, but you kinda have the sides switched there. The statues were put up in defiance. Of the lack of tolerance of accepting the civil rights movement. The statues have nothing to do with the Civil War. They were built immediately after Plessey vs. Ferguson to show the dixiecrats and KKK had political control. You are right.

Where do you think this ends? How much of history needs erased? When will the movement be satisfied?

-Geaux

Confederate soldiers are recognized as American Veterans by Congress. When you desecrate one of their monuments, you are desecrating their memory. So have it. Enjoy your selfish self.

What about a monument to veteran Benedict Arnold?

If someone built a monument to anyone, you wouldn't find ME trying to tear it down. Like I already said. Apparently nobody wants to build a monument for him.

There's a monument honoring Benedict Arnold on the historical site of the Battle of Saratoga. A tribute to his part in that battle.

So, what do any of us care? I certainly don't. I think both extreme sides are being stupid. People on the extreme left and right are mentally crazy. Tear it down, leave it up, it doesn't make a difference in anyone's world and it changes nothing those extremist will still think stupid, you can't change that. You can't reason with extremist on the left or right.

You think it's extremely stupid that people oppose white supremacy?

btw, did anyone notice that Trump agreed with ME yesterday on one point? He said that the fate of the statues should be left up to whichever government, local, state, federal, they fell under the jurisdiction of.

Anyone that showed up at Charlottesville was extremely stupid. Ignoring it would have been a better solution. Extremist on either side of the spectrum are stupid, ignorant and are not reasonable.

I have said all along it is the locals fight, not an issue for me. That is one reason I'd never fly or drive into that community to protest or protest the protesters. In any case who was ever there was looking for trouble.

So you agree with Trump, big whoopee, you want a cookie?

Where do you think this ends? How much of history needs erased? When will the movement be satisfied?

-Geaux

I think it is pretty simple. Don't erase anything. When we removed King George's statues nothing was being erased. Removing statues honoring hitler wasn't erasing history.

I would say end it with a simple plan. Honor those who were drafted and who had no say in forming the confederacy. You don't need monuments for that. We've got hundreds of thousands of soldiers who didn't raise arms against the USA who don't have monuments.

Those that intentionally led troops against the USA. Those that intentionally created a country founded on the protection of slavery. They don't get monuments.

What I find crazy is that these white supremacist some think they will make America white, that is just plain nuts. The other thing I find nuts is that people actually the war was over racism. The issue was much more than that. The final straw was slavery, not racism. There many in the north that were racist, just as racist as many in the south, however the north didn't believe slavery was acceptable.

We have two sets of fools, those that claim whites are superior and those that think the Civil War and Confederate Flag were about racism.

Enslaving black people is not racist?

Goddam that's funny
It was a sign of good will lol

Confederate soldiers are recognized as American Veterans by Congress. When you desecrate one of their monuments, you are desecrating their memory. So have it. Enjoy your selfish self.

If someone built a monument to anyone, you wouldn't find ME trying to tear it down. Like I already said. Apparently nobody wants to build a monument for him.

There's a monument honoring Benedict Arnold on the historical site of the Battle of Saratoga. A tribute to his part in that battle.

So, what do any of us care? I certainly don't. I think both extreme sides are being stupid. People on the extreme left and right are mentally crazy. Tear it down, leave it up, it doesn't make a difference in anyone's world and it changes nothing those extremist will still think stupid, you can't change that. You can't reason with extremist on the left or right.

btw, did anyone notice that Trump agreed with ME yesterday on one point? He said that the fate of the statues should be left up to whichever government, local, state, federal, they fell under the jurisdiction of.
Baltimore took 4 down last night

Anyone that showed up at Charlottesville was extremely stupid. Ignoring it would have been a better solution. Extremist on either side of the spectrum are stupid, ignorant and are not reasonable.

I have said all along it is the locals fight, not an issue for me. That is one reason I'd never fly or drive into that community to protest or protest the protesters. In any case who was ever there was looking for trouble.

I don't think you have to be an extremist to oppose neo-Nazism. I'm not surprised you disagree.

I don't think you have to be an extremist to oppose neo-Nazism. I'm not surprised you disagree.

You like to twist my words. I oppose neo-Nazism, dumb ass. I am not an extremist. The extremists showed up in Charlottesville, no other reason to go there except to fight. The supremacist, and the protesters were looking for a fight and it happened. Now go spin you BS on it again, dishonest prick.

-Geaux

-Geaux

Never. They will be bitching and crying about something else by tomorrow. ;)

-Geaux

-Geaux

When the idols of those traitors are torn down Let those worshiping those scum who would tear America down weep bitter tears

-Geaux

Put up by Democrats you mean.

A number of snowflakes in this forum have said that the voters should decide whether Confederate moderates should be taken down. It appears the voters want them left alone. ANTIFA and BLM are a small fringe, and they do not represent the will of the majority. Does anyone believe the left would desist in their attacks on these monuments if a referendum were held and the voters decided to all them to stay?

Voters Oppose Removing Confederate Monuments - Rasmussen Reports™

Four Confederate monuments were removed from New Orleans earlier this month following complaints that they celebrate racism, and now the city of Baltimore has plans to follow suit. But most voters oppose taking away these remnants of the past even if they are unpopular with some.

While proposals have been made to get rid of monuments such as the Jefferson Memorial and the carving on Stone Mountain in Georgia because they honor men who practiced or defended slavery, just 19% of Likely U.S. Voters think the United States should erase symbols of its past history that are out of line with current sentiments. A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 69% oppose erasing these historical symbols. Twelve percent (12%) are undecided.

Wow- since when do you care what voters want?

52% Oppose Repeal of Obamacare If Fixes Can't Be Found - Rasmussen Reports™

52% Oppose Repeal of Obamacare If Fixes Can't Be Found
well again, 30 states within the union said they wanted it repealed. Honor it.

typical contard- live by the polls when the polls support what you want- deny the polls when they don't.

-Geaux

I think it is pretty simple. Don't erase anything. When we removed King George's statues nothing was being erased. Removing statues honoring hitler wasn't erasing history.

I would say end it with a simple plan. Honor those who were drafted and who had no say in forming the confederacy. You don't need monuments for that. We've got hundreds of thousands of soldiers who didn't raise arms against the USA who don't have monuments.

Those that intentionally led troops against the USA. Those that intentionally created a country founded on the protection of slavery. They don't get monuments.

So as long as they follow your viewpoint fine, if not too bad. Great job there! How about if you don't live there it isn't your damn business. Let the people that live there decide what they want or don't want. Let them decide who and who doesn't get a statue and you butt the hell out!

-Geaux

-Geaux

When the idols of those traitors are torn down Let those worshiping those scum who would tear America down weep bitter tears

How about let local people decide the local issues and what they want torn down or left up. What a crazy concept, letting the people that will be affected the most decide what is best for them, not a bunch of idiots who will never give two shits about their community after the issue is over.

The whole country anymore is busybody left nuts and busybody right nuts wanting to dictate to others how they should all live. How about they keep out of everyone else's business and shut those traps.

-Geaux

-Geaux

How about let local people decide the local issues and what they want torn down or left up. What a crazy concept, letting the people that will be affected the most decide what is best for them, not a bunch of idiots who will never give two shits about their community after the issue is over.

The whole country anymore is busybody left nuts and busybody right nuts wanting to dictate to others how they should all live. How about they keep out of everyone else's business and shut those traps.
And what of the people waving nazi flags Just turn away? Many 1000's of brave men and women died fighting nazi scum

-Geaux

-Geaux

So you can't answer my basic questions either?

-Geaux

-Geaux

And what of the people waving nazi flags Just turn away? Many 1000's of brave men and women died fighting nazi scum

Those that bravely fought the Nazis are the same people that fought for the right of Nazi scum to protest. My father fought in Germany in WWII, watched friends die, killed and captured German soldiers. His viewpoint is they are allowed to protest, they are allowed to be, to limit their speech and freedom of expression would be as wrong as Hitler silencing opposition to his regime.

If you want to confront the nuts and give them credibility, go for it, it is your right. I think ignoring them hurts them. It keeps them out of the news and not able to try to play a pathetic victim card. Would we have heard anything about the Charlottesville march had the anti crowd never showed?

Forum List

Back