Voter Suppression by Republican State Legislature in Pennsylvania

This is a red herring designed to distract from the real issue- Obama's failed economic policies.

I have no compassion for people that do not have ID. I don't know anyone that doesn't have ID. I doubt anyone here knows anyone that doesn't either.....non-issue.

I know lots of people who don't have ID's. They are most of my clients. They live in a segment of society that most Republicans know very little about. Those of them that do vote, do not vote Republican, I can guarantee that.

Requiring ID's to vote suppresses Democratic votes for the very reason that is confirmed by your post here.

So what you're saying is Democrats are incompetent and stupid?

I am sure the ACLU has statistics out the gazoo which verify that, de facto, requiring ID prior to voting impacts negatively on far more Demorcratic voters than Republican voters.

Are you admitting that democrats can't win without voter fraud? If the felon and dead voters were republican would it make a difference?

You don't see the action by the Penn. legislature here as voter fraud? It is indirect voter fraud of the first order. And neither side can win if the other side engages in it.

This is a red herring designed to distract from the real issue- Obama's failed economic policies.

I have no compassion for people that do not have ID. I don't know anyone that doesn't have ID. I doubt anyone here knows anyone that doesn't either.....non-issue.

I know lots of people who don't have ID's. They are most of my clients. They live in a segment of society that most Republicans know very little about. Those of them that do vote, do not vote Republican, I can guarantee that.

Requiring ID's to vote suppresses Democratic votes for the very reason that is confirmed by your post here.
They can get their ID for free.

Here....You'll be needing this.

reynolds-wrap-foil.jpg

The Republican dominated Pennsylvania legislature has enacted a law requiring voters to show a valid driver's license before they will be permitted to vote. Guess who this affects most in the two major, Pennsylvanisa cities.

Pennsylvania's strict voter ID law faces ACLU lawsuit - latimes.com

Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are predominately Democratic cities. "If the election were held today, we would have more than 100,000 of our voters who could not vote," said Stephanie Singer, chairwoman of Philadelphia's elections commission. "It's a cynical attempt by the Republican leadership to steal the election. And absolutely it could sway the outcome."

The ACLU is challenging this law - and rightly so.

But of course the election isn't today. Therefore residents have 3.5 months to get an ID. Something most Americans posses from the age of 15 or 16

There are different documents to prove a person's ID. Get on an airplane...no problem, no complaints. Buying a house, no problem, no complaints. Driving, no problem, no complaints. Getting food stamps....no problem, no complaints. Getting Welfare checks....no problem, no complaints.
Getting to be able to vote...OMG! FOUL!!! You can't do that! Suppression of votes!!! Republicans are evil!!!! Conservatives Hate America!!!!

Just more election year BS. Very transparent.

only thing is....all those other things you mentioned? Aren't protected by the Constitution. Voting however is. There is also the issue of having to pay to vote...Unless it's changed because if this ruling, it costs 13.50 for a non driver's ID card...that amounts to a poll tax...which is unconstitutional.

So your clients can't cash a check, buy cigarettes or alcohol, enter a Federal building, fly on an airplane, get a library card or attend an Obama press conference?

Maybe you should give them a ride to the DMV, you've got 3.5 months to 'git 'er done!'

The only reason somebody would object to Voter ID laws is because they want to cheat. And I'll tell you why....

Because there's no way to participate meaningfully in the economy without identification. What that means is that if we had bunches of people, denied meaningful participation in the economy based on race or poverty, there would be HUGE protests going on over THAT issue. But we don't see politicians beating their chests and community organizers marching in the streets over the denial of IDs to the poor and to minorities. And we don't see it... because it's NOT happening.

I disagree. The FACT is that there are more potential Democratic voters without ID's than there are potential Republican voters. It that was not the case, you can bet your ass that disingenuous Republican state legislatures would not be going to the trouble of enacting laws such as this.

But of course the election isn't today. Therefore residents have 3.5 months to get an ID. Something most Americans posses from the age of 15 or 16

There are different documents to prove a person's ID. Get on an airplane...no problem, no complaints. Buying a house, no problem, no complaints. Driving, no problem, no complaints. Getting food stamps....no problem, no complaints. Getting Welfare checks....no problem, no complaints.
Getting to be able to vote...OMG! FOUL!!! You can't do that! Suppression of votes!!! Republicans are evil!!!! Conservatives Hate America!!!!

only thing is....all those other things you mentioned? Aren't protected by the Constitution. Voting however is. There is also the issue of having to pay to vote...Unless it's changed because if this ruling, it costs 13.50 for a non driver's ID card...that amounts to a poll tax...which is unconstitutional.

Poll tax, my ass.

The only reason somebody would object to Voter ID laws is because they want to cheat. And I'll tell you why....

Because there's no way to participate meaningfully in the economy without identification. What that means is that if we had bunches of people, denied meaningful participation in the economy based on race or poverty, there would be HUGE protests going on over THAT issue. But we don't see politicians beating their chests and community organizers marching in the streets over the denial of IDs to the poor and to minorities. And we don't see it... because it's NOT happening.

I disagree. The FACT is that there are more potential Democratic voters without ID's than there are potential Republican voters. It that was not the case, you can bet your ass that disingenuous Republican state legislatures would not be going to the trouble of enacting laws such as this.

Your problem is that illegal aliens won't be able to vote this time around, and there goes your 10% edge...

Poll tax, my ass.
It's a ruse..nothing more, nothing less.

It's really too bad Mike Turzai (R-PA) had to open his big mouth.

Turzai: Voter ID Law Means Romney Can Win in PA | PoliticsPA

“Pro-Second Amendment? The Castle Doctrine, it’s done. First pro-life legislation – abortion facility regulations – in 22 years, done. Voter ID, which is gonna allow Governor Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania, done.”

The statement drew a loud round of applause from the audience. It also struck a nerve among critics, who called it an admission that they passed the bill to make it harder for Democrats to vote — and not to prevent voter fraud as the legislators claimed.

“Instead of working to create jobs and get our economy back on track, Mike Turzai and the Republicans in Harrisburg have been laser focused on a partisan agenda that simply helps their donors and political allies,” said PA Dems spokesman Mark Nicastre.

“Mike Turzai’s admission that Voter ID only serves the partisan interests of his party should be shocking, but unfortunately it isn’t. Democrats are focused on protecting Pennsylvanians’ rights to vote, and we are working hard to ensure that everyone who is eligible to vote can vote this fall.”

The Republican dominated Pennsylvania legislature has enacted a law requiring voters to show a valid driver's license before they will be permitted to vote. Guess who this affects most in the two major, Pennsylvanisa cities.

Pennsylvania's strict voter ID law faces ACLU lawsuit - latimes.com

Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are predominately Democratic cities. "If the election were held today, we would have more than 100,000 of our voters who could not vote," said Stephanie Singer, chairwoman of Philadelphia's elections commission. "It's a cynical attempt by the Republican leadership to steal the election. And absolutely it could sway the outcome."

The ACLU is challenging this law - and rightly so.

I would describe it more as a blatant attempt to tip the election in their favor. In fact, their House majority leader, Mike Turzai, pretty much admitted it when he said : "Voter ID, which is gonna allow Governor Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania, done.”

They can get their ID for free.

Here....You'll be needing this.

reynolds-wrap-foil.jpg

I guess unless they hand deliver it to them it's not good enough...:doh:

The Republican party straight up doesn't care if your clients can vote.

What is it you do, if I may ask?

Sorry George. No ID. No Vote. Requiring voters to prove "they are who they say they are" is not voter suppression. It's common sense. Try cashing a check, or visiting Saint Obama at the White House without an ID...Just tell the secret service your name.... think they'll let you in? :lol:

I have ZERO compassion or empathy for fools that cannot prove their identity.

No. That is NOT the case. Democrats aren't lacking access to ID cards. If they were, THAT would be a separate issue. Think about it... if there actually were groups of people, who by virtue of race or poverty or party affiliation, were denied access to meaningful participation in the economy, we'd be hearing about it. :eek:
In fact, that's ALL we'd be hearing about. These people wouldn't be able to go to the bank, or the doctor, get library cards, access public services... nothing.

This is all about voter fraud and nothing else.

I have ZERO compassion or empathy for fools that cannot prove their identity.

You have to understand, thats an awfully high hurdle for democrats

Forum List

Back