Voluntary Random Drug testing

hortysir

In Memorial of 47
Apr 30, 2010
Port Charlotte, FL
For Middle School???

WTF??

If your child plans on participating in sports or other extra-curricular activities there's a consent form for random drug testing.

My grandson may want to join baseball or football but my grand-daughter really doesn't have any interests but studying.

I can understand if there's "reasonable suspicion", but just random.

:confused:

I advised my daughter not to sign it

Perfectly fine for anyone to refuse "voluntary" drug testing. They must understand, however, that if drug testing is a pre-requisite for participating in a sport then they just shouldn't waste their time applying unless they're willing to be tested. Nobody's forcing them to play a sport. Maybe not doing so will allow a little time for learning a useful skill and undoing some of the indoctrination they're getting in the classroom.

Camels nose under the tent comes to mind

Right?
Before ya know it, BAM!!

I feel sort of hypocritical, given my stance on drug testing for welfare recipients, since public school can be viewed as similar......

Guess we can just wait and see if my grandson does start to express an interest in trying out.

Nothing to hide, but still.....

*shrug**

It's like jobs. When the ad says pre-employment drug testing and you don't want to do it then you'd be a damn fool to apply. Well, unless applying was required to keep getting the dole.

camels nose under the tent comes to mind

right?
Before ya know it, bam!!

I feel sort of hypocritical, given my stance on drug testing for welfare recipients, since public school can be viewed as similar......

Guess we can just wait and see if my grandson does start to express an interest in trying out.

Nothing to hide, but still.....

*shrug**

Minor children cannot legally give their permission I think.

In general a child's applying to participate must have a parent sign the form and that's where permission for testing comes into the picture. Along with that usually comes a disclaimer so if someone's precious little rug rat gets hurt the parent has accepted responsibility. A concept almost totally unknown amongst today's parents.

For Middle School???

WTF??

If your child plans on participating in sports or other extra-curricular activities there's a consent form for random drug testing.

My grandson may want to join baseball or football but my grand-daughter really doesn't have any interests but studying.

Truthfully i have no problem with it. If they want to play, then they have to test.

We had that here in high school, I never got drug tested while playing a sport.. I didn't really smoke pot when playing sports or drink. I never wanted to get kicked off the team.

For Middle School???

WTF??

Truthfully i have no problem with it. If they want to play, then they have to test.

I asked them, this morning before sending the form in, if they plan on signing up for sports. they said 6th graders can't - only 7th or 8th.
So it's a non-issue for now.

But I agree with Henry. Sports are voluntary so if ya wanna play you gotta pee.
:cool:

The entire issue of drug testing is a sad indication of what submissive sheep Americans have become. "Land of the Free" needs to be revised to "We Do What We're Told".

Study highlights tobacco's role as 'gateway' drug...
:eusa_eh:
Nicotine Enhances Effects of Cocaine
November 04, 2011 - If you start smoking before you try cocaine, you are much more likely to become addicted to cocaine, according to new research.
A new study from Columbia University highlights the role of tobacco in cocaine addiction. The research indicates that nicotine may be a key "gateway" drug in a biological as well as a social context. Dr. Amir Levine says there is some support for the gateway hypothesis, that adolescents begin drug use with alcohol and nicotine, then advance to marijuana and more serious drugs. "And then we were wondering whether that sequence, apart from having cigarettes more available and alcohol more available, whether there was also a biological effect of these drugs on other drugs later on down the line."

To find an answer, Levine and his colleagues used laboratory mice, and added nicotine to their water. Then they injected the mice with cocaine and compared their behaviors with drugged mice that had not gotten the nicotine. "And what we found was, that when they were treated with nicotine first, the effect - their behavioral effects - were much more pronounced when they were given cocaine." And Levine says researchers saw that effect even with very small amounts of nicotine. Co-author and Nobel laureate Dr. Eric Kandel, adds that nicotine dramatically increases the effect of cocaine. "And it sort of makes a little bit of sense, why people start with nicotine and then go on to cocaine. Because if they're smoking nicotine and they begin with cocaine, they get a wow!"

Nicotine has a direct effect on DNA, Amir Levine explains, essentially exposing genes that are linked to addiction. "So then, when you give cocaine, certain genes that are involved in addiction are greatly expressed, much more than if you give cocaine by itself." For real-world confirmation, another co-author, Denise Kandel, - Eric Kandel's wife - reviewed a 1992 study of cocaine users. "And she saw that if you started smoking before you started cocaine, you are much more likely to become addicted to cocaine."

On the other hand, those who used cocaine but hadn't smoked before were less likely to become addicted. Co-author Eric Kandel says a deeper understanding of the biological process of addiction may lead to more effective treatments. "The molecular insights that we're getting - and we plan to refine - should allow us to think about new approaches to therapy." Writing in Science Translational Medicine, the authors also say their research emphasizes the need for more effective anti-smoking programs, especially targeted toward young people.

Source

Forum List

Back