Veterans are being told to pay back bonuses..........

Now veterans are being told that even though they risked their asses by going into war zones in the ME, they are not eligible for the bonuses they were given and are being told they have to repay them. Many were given enlistment bonuses of 15,000 or more.

Pentagon Demands Return Of Cash Bonuses Paid To California Soldiers For Going To War A Decade Ago

Now, considering that most of our military live paycheck to paycheck because they don't get paid enough (an E-6 over 20 years of service only makes 36,000/yr), most of them will have a financial hardship in paying back the money.

I say let them keep the money, and let it go at that. They served in a war zone and risked their asses. They deserve the money for reenlisting and going back into a war zone.

Does anyone else find this reprehensible?
Absolutely. What do you bet the ruling came from the POTUS..(spitting at the thought.)

I'll take that bet, because military spending is factored into the budget and the Defense Authorization Act (passed by Congress) is what determines if they will pay a bonus to them. It's part of the defense budget.

Not only that, but these troops were part of the National Guard, which is partially paid for by the state as well in some cases.

I'd like to know who it was, and why they said that these soldiers are no longer eligible for their bonuses.

What's even more, is I want to know why they waited TEN FREAKING YEARS before deciding that they needed the money back.

Shoot.................it's only 20 million or so, let them keep the money, it's cheaper than buying just one jet fighter.
Any number of executive actions could stop this. California can collect but it doesn't mean they have to.
why shouldn't they? why are people in favor of fraud?
What fraud? They're going after obscure technicalities so that the California EPA can afford to hire 15 Diversity and Inclusion enforcers and pay them $100k each. Money doesn't grow on trees, you know.
donnie, you're out of your element.

none of the money will go back to california. it belongs to ngb

I'll take that bet, because military spending is factored into the budget and the Defense Authorization Act (passed by Congress) is what determines if they will pay a bonus to them. It's part of the defense budget.

Not only that, but these troops were part of the National Guard, which is partially paid for by the state as well in some cases.

I'd like to know who it was, and why they said that these soldiers are no longer eligible for their bonuses.

What's even more, is I want to know why they waited TEN FREAKING YEARS before deciding that they needed the money back.

Shoot.................it's only 20 million or so, let them keep the money, it's cheaper than buying just one jet fighter.
Any number of executive actions could stop this. California can collect but it doesn't mean they have to.
What fraud? They're going after obscure technicalities so that the California EPA can afford to hire 15 Diversity and Inclusion enforcers and pay them $100k each. Money doesn't grow on trees, you know.
This thread is about our vets being forced to pay back reenlistment bonuses they took in good faith....why are you going off topic?
It shows where California's priorities are.
California is not asking for the money back...the DoD is. So, again....I ask you. Why are you going off topic?

Who committed the fraud? The soldiers? Or the state of California?
soldiers
How?
how? they put in for bonuses they weren't eligible for.
How would the soldiers know they were not eligible?
for one i guarantee the regulations were available to them.

second, it doesn't matter. if the dod overpays you for any reason you dont get to keep the money

Absolutely. What do you bet the ruling came from the POTUS..(spitting at the thought.)

Right. That's why the state of California is doing the collecting.

soldiers
Nope, they did not...they accepted offered bonuses. It was not in their power to know that said bonuses were not to be offered.
i believe it would have been, but it doesn't matter. they didn't earn the bonuses

This thread is about our vets being forced to pay back reenlistment bonuses they took in good faith....why are you going off topic?
California is not asking for the money back...the DoD is. So, again....I ask you. Why are you going off topic?
I think you're confused. Again.

the state is not

The paper reported that nearly 10,000 soldiers, many of whom risked their lives during multiple combat tours, have been ordered to repay the cash bonuses after audits revealed widespread overpayments by California Guard officials under pressure to meet enlistment targets at the height of the wars 10 years ago.

But soldiers say the military is reneging on old agreements and imposing severe financial hardship on those whose only mistake was to accept the bonuses, which amounted to $15,000 or more.

In this case the soldiers were given an offer to reenlist and they accepted it. That was the terms under which they agreed to additional service

Will the Pentagon offer them back the three years of their lives if they return the money?
but they weren't eligible for the bonuses. why should they get tens of thousands of dollars while others who did exactly the same thing but didn't accept fraudulent bonuses get nothing?

Because that was the offer that was on the table

If soldiers in other states declined to reenlist because the bonus was too low, they got to move on with their lives.

If someone says....I'll give you $15,000 to reenlist for three years and you do the three years, what right do they have to say after the fact...We were only kidding about the $15,000?

The paper reported that nearly 10,000 soldiers, many of whom risked their lives during multiple combat tours, have been ordered to repay the cash bonuses after audits revealed widespread overpayments by California Guard officials under pressure to meet enlistment targets at the height of the wars 10 years ago.

But soldiers say the military is reneging on old agreements and imposing severe financial hardship on those whose only mistake was to accept the bonuses, which amounted to $15,000 or more.

In this case the soldiers were given an offer to reenlist and they accepted it. That was the terms under which they agreed to additional service

Will the Pentagon offer them back the three years of their lives if they return the money?
but they weren't eligible for the bonuses. why should they get tens of thousands of dollars while others who did exactly the same thing but didn't accept fraudulent bonuses get nothing?

but it wasn't the offer. it was fraud.

the state is not
Yes it is. We're talking about just the California National Guard. I know Leftists dream of the federal government owning everything, but the National Guard still belongs to the states.

It's the California National Guard. If this were a national issue, then NG vets from all over the country would be caught in the dragnet.
the california guard committed the fraud.

and i guarantee you there are veterans elsewhere that have had to repay bonuses they were wrongly given

soldiers
How?

second, it doesn't matter. if the dod overpays you for any reason you dont get to keep the money
No, the regulations are not the same as the bonus info given to recruiters....your average soldier/sailor isn't going to know that stuff. They really are not.

the state is not
Yes it is. We're talking about just the California National Guard. I know Leftists dream of the federal government owning everything, but the National Guard still belongs to the states.
but that's not the state. the money does not go back into the state coffers, it goes to ngb

No it isn't...the DoD is.

No, the regulations are not the same as the bonus info given to recruiters....your average soldier/sailor isn't going to know that stuff. They really are not.
I'm sorry, i don't buy the ignorance excuse from 20 year veterans.

but it doesn't matter. you don't get to keep overpayment from the military.

I think you're confused. Again.
Hardly...as a vet I know how these things work.......and I live in CA where this is being talked about a lot right now....and I live in the district of one of the Congressmen taking this on...............................and you?

You don't....but this was a MAJOR snafu by the military and the soldiers accepted the bonuses in good faith.

but it wasn't the offer. it was fraud.

Suppose your boss told you....I'll give you a $15,000 bonus if you work weekends and holidays for the next year

So you work weekends and holidays for a year and then your boss says....Sorry, I wasn't authorized to pay you the $15,000, you have to give it back

You don't....but this was a MAJOR snafu by the military and the soldiers accepted the bonuses in good faith.
it was fraud committed by members of the ca guard.

now i dont claim that everyone who got caught up in it did so on purpose, but that is irrelevant.

they weren't eligible for the bonuses. they didn't earn them, they don't get to keep a mistake

Forum List

Back