Venison recipes

CremeBrulee

Gold Member
Jul 30, 2015
Toad Hall
TNHarley discussion of deep fried meatloaf had some venison comments. I was surprised that no sportsmen or foodie had a venison recipe thread. I really like deer meat and the season just ended so there is a lot around.

This is a recipe for the kidneys. Delicious. What dishes do other people have that they don't mind sharing?
You have to cook it right: Venison Kidney's with mixed greens

SAM_1356.JPG

I've never eaten a deer kidney.

I have eaten liver though, and it is yummy.

Trim off all stryfn, fat, white material from meat.
Pound it
dredge with flour, salt, pepper.
Fry at fairly low heat (mediumish) in bacon fat.
Plate the meat...use the drippings to make gravy.

Serve meat with mashed potatoes and venison gravy, omg.

Venison gravy in my house is typically a milk gravy. Stir salted flour into the drippings, make a roux, add milk, whisk and allow to just simmer while stirring until thickened and correct consistency. Add water/salt/pepper as needed/to taste.

if i were gonna make gravy i would use the bacon fat .....i really like bacon fat gravy.....again who can fuck up bacon?
I'm making biscuits and bacon milk gravy tomorrow morning for the kids...but if I was cooking venison, I'd make venison gravy.
Which is actually bacon gravy with a little kick, because you cook the venison in bacon fat.

I only eat the meat lol
My favorite way to eat deer is simply fried. I like it quick and hot.
Aaaaaaannnndddddd hopefully meatloaf :)

TNHarley discussion of deep fried meatloaf had some venison comments. I was surprised that no sportsmen or foodie had a venison recipe thread. I really like deer meat and the season just ended so there is a lot around.

This is a recipe for the kidneys. Delicious. What dishes do other people have that they don't mind sharing?
You have to cook it right: Venison Kidney's with mixed greens

SAM_1356.JPG

Interesting. I've never had kidneys before. Lol.

My cousin hunts deer, and I usually just get some venison steaks. I keep the seasoning light with garlic salt and pepper and grill them. I eat them with my homemade steak sauce which is a combination of ketchup, Worcestershire, black pepper, Tabasco sauce, and garlic. I want to try the steaks with some kind of herb garlic butter. I'll bet that would be delicious! :)

byw glad you are on high ground....those king waves have been bad
Yeah I'm only .8 miles from the (alleged) tsunami safe spot...my house is actually located on the edge of what used to be dunes. It doesn't flood. Locals stay the hell away from the beaches this time of year...Thanksgiving, and Christmas both are really bad for tides and surf. Giant logs actually get tossed up onto the beach, and in fact into people's yards and stuff. Very, very, VERY dangerous.

Sea foam surrounds coastal homes in Yachats

Last edited:

Forum List

Back