Khachapuri, Khinkali and other Georgian food

The

Rookie
Dec 29, 2010
Indeed, Georgian traditional dishes are very delicious and made of diverse ingredients: cheese, meat, fish, vegetables, different herbs/greens, spices, dough, etc. Georgian feast (supra) is abundant and distinguished by variety of dishes. There are some dishes which are characteristic only for a certain region of Georgia; others are popular in all over the country. For example, there are many versions of Khachapuri – Imeruli, Megruli, Acharuli, Guruli, Penovani and so on. They have different shapes and cooking rules, although some of main ingredients are the same: dough, cheese, egg. Preference to a certain kind of khachapuri depends on the personal taste.

Some of the foods are served on special occasions. You will seldom find Satsivi on the everyday menu of a regular Georgian family. Mostly they cook it for a New Year or other very grand events. Lobiani is not so rare. It is beans baked inside the dough. You can find it any café/ restaurant, although there is one special day when you MUST taste it – St. Barbara’s day on December 17.

Khinkali has a very interesting history. Once northern Caucasians abducted a young man from Georgian highlands. He spent many months in the dungeon, but at least he could escape. After a long and risky way he returned home. He was very hungry, but because of past hardships he did not have teeth. That’s why he could not chew meals. So the sister chopped meat, put into the dough and boiled. After that Khinkali became popular among the mountain people and later – in all over the Georgia.

Other popular foods are the following: Kharcho, Qababi, Mtsvadi (Shashlik), Chaqapuli, soups with different ingredients (meat, vegetables, Matsoni (Georgian Yogurt, made of pure milk), mushroom, eggplant with walnuts, jonjoli, fish. The latter one is necessary attribute of any Supra – both for joyful or sorrowful occasions (weddings, funerals, birthday parties). Georgians cook fish in different ways: fry, boil, season with wine, walnuts, vegetables and so on.

(to be continued)
i'll post pics and links as soon as I reach 15 posts

Thanks. I wanted to post video-tutorial how to cook Khachapuri and add some nice pics, but can't do it until I have 15 posts.

KHACHAPURI

Ingredients:

sour milk - 200 ml or yoghurt, whey 2 eggs,
plain flour for the filling;
cheese - 0,5 kg;
egg - 1;
butter - 25-50 gr.

Beat 2 eggs add sour milk and salt and mix with plain flour to make a soft not sticky dough. Divide it in four. Roll each quarter about half a finger thick. Make the filling by crumbling the cheese and mixing it with egg and butter, Put ready cheese filling on each quarter, twist them and press, rolling lightly. Fry ready Khachapuri in a heavy-bottomed pan in butter top side down. When the underside is brown turn the pie. Brush on top with butter and serve immediately.

Khachapuri
IMG_1282.jpg

what about video tutorials
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr5zB_i6_yw]Khachapuri - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back