Vegans! What do you think of them?

VeganMe

Newly vegan
Jul 28, 2012
I recently became vegan (for ethical reasons) and realized that it's much easier than I previously anticipated it would be. :) So that puts a smile on my face. I'm wondering what those who post here think of veganism.

And, if anyone has any questions about the lifestyle, feel free to ask! :D

Both of my children are vegetarians, and son #2 tried veganism for about two weeks. He didn't like it. He gets most of his protein from fish (we live at the shore) and eggs. Frankly, I'm glad it didn't work out. He's way too thin already.

Whenever my veggie friends come to the BBQ I always have a tofu burger on hand, like a good friend should... :neutral:

"If God did not want you to eat meat......he wouldn't have made it taste so good"

I recently became vegan (for ethical reasons) and realized that it's much easier than I previously anticipated it would be. :) So that puts a smile on my face. I'm wondering what those who post here think of veganism.

And, if anyone has any questions about the lifestyle, feel free to ask! :D
Do you wear leather shoes? Have leather car interior? Have any leather products at all?

I think they are incredibly gullible people. But it is their right to be gullible and I absolutely support that right.

Nope, no leather for me.
Any plastic bags (many plasticizers derive their raw materials from animal products)? Do you ride a bike (tires, same thing)? Shampoo (many ingredients are derived from animal products)? Conditioner (same thing)? Toothpaste (same thing)?

@ California - I am a vegan because I don't want to support (with my dollar) the meat and dairy industries, which are known for treating their animals very cruelly and inhumanely. I also don't want anything to have to die for me to eat it. I can eat other things. :)

@ Si Modo - I haven't heard of things like tires or plastic bags containing animal products. I'm still learning but that is not something I've heard before. As for things like toothpaste, shampoo and other similar items, they make vegan ones too. My new vegan hand soap actually smells great. The scent is so nice and it lingers on my hands after I've washed them for quite a while, which I like.

Last edited:
Republicans are totally bought and in the pockets of their donors:

USDA retracts support of 'Meatless Monday' after GOP revolt

07/26/12 09:27 AM ET

The Department of Agriculture (USDA) retracted its endorsement of "Meatless Mondays" after GOP lawmakers blasted the move.

Republicans took to Twitter Wednesday to express their unhappiness with the USDA encouraging people to eat less meat.
I will eat more meat on Monday to compensate for stupid USDA recommendation abt a meatless Monday
— ChuckGrassley (@ChuckGrassley) July 25, 2012

USDA HQ meatless Mondays!!! At the Dept. Of Agriculture? Heresy! I'm not grazing there. I will have double rib-eye Mondays instead.
— Steve King (@SteveKingIA) July 25, 2012

The USDA lauded Meatless Monday in Monday's internal department newsletter as "one simple way to reduce your environmental impact while dining at our cafeterias."

The National Cattlemen's Beef Association and several members of Congress representing some of the biggest meat-producing states were quick to protest on Tuesday and Wednesday.

"Who at USDA thought 'Meatless Mondays' was good idea? Anti-[agriculture] agenda at USDA is irresponsible, even for a day," tweeted Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.).

What a bunch of fucking children!

@ California - I am a vegan because I don't want to support (with my dollar) the meat and dairy industries, which are known for treating their animals very cruelly and inhumanely. I also don't want anything to have to die for me to eat it. I can eat other things. :)

@ Si Modo - I haven't heard of things like tires or plastic bags containing animal products. I'm still learning but that is not something I've heard before. As for things like toothpaste, shampoo and other similar items, they make vegan ones too. My new vegan hand soap actually smells great. The scent is so nice and it lingers on my hands after I've washed them for quite a while, which I like.
That's great that you found such products.

You would be surprised at how many items in our everyday lives contain animal products. If you want to devote all that time to avoid animal products, you will likely have to spend every waking hour making your own stuff, or spend extra for a specialty product.

Likely, those vitamin supplements contain animal products, too.

I think choosing the vegan lifestyle is fine for those who wish it, but if you expect to completely avoid animal products, your lifestyle may change a hell of a lot more than you may expect. Strive for it, but really, give yourself a break on some things.

Of course, your choice. It's just the reality of the situation. Animal-derived products are ubiquitous.

Republicans are totally bought and in the pockets of their donors:

USDA retracts support of 'Meatless Monday' after GOP revolt

07/26/12 09:27 AM ET

The Department of Agriculture (USDA) retracted its endorsement of "Meatless Mondays" after GOP lawmakers blasted the move.

Republicans took to Twitter Wednesday to express their unhappiness with the USDA encouraging people to eat less meat.
I will eat more meat on Monday to compensate for stupid USDA recommendation abt a meatless Monday
— ChuckGrassley (@ChuckGrassley) July 25, 2012

USDA HQ meatless Mondays!!! At the Dept. Of Agriculture? Heresy! I'm not grazing there. I will have double rib-eye Mondays instead.
— Steve King (@SteveKingIA) July 25, 2012

The USDA lauded Meatless Monday in Monday's internal department newsletter as "one simple way to reduce your environmental impact while dining at our cafeterias."

The National Cattlemen's Beef Association and several members of Congress representing some of the biggest meat-producing states were quick to protest on Tuesday and Wednesday.

"Who at USDA thought 'Meatless Mondays' was good idea? Anti-[agriculture] agenda at USDA is irresponsible, even for a day," tweeted Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.).

What a bunch of fucking children!
I don't find it childish at all. Many find that our market system works much better with less interference by government.

^Nope. I buy vegan vitamins that list the ingredients. No animal products :) For non-vegans it sounds daunting and time-consuming to try to live this way. I thought the same thing before I switched over. Which like I said, is why I'm really (pleasantly) surprised by how easy it is. Once you get the hang of it, it's like blinking (IMO).

Forum List

Back