USMB Coffee Shop IV

And I thought this was interesting. A friend posted this elsewhere with the caption: "Caught something odd on my trail cam"

1612215668766.png

Yesterday I was noodling around the internet checking the prices on Chuck Taylors because the soles on my plain black Chucks are wearing through.

While checking out the search results, I stumbled across an ad on eBay for a pairs of VERY RARE Chucks for $2,500 US. This is not the ad, this is my pair of the shoes in that ad. I bought them years ago at my favourite Chucks store on Yonge St. in Toronto. For $100. Apparently they were pulled from the market right after introduction because Hindus found them offensive. Every time I wear them, I get comments.

Wow! Good comments I would think as they are quite interesting. But are they worth the $2,500 as a collectors item? If so, I wouldn't wear them. I would sell them. :)

I found several pairs for sale ranging from $275 a pair to $2500. That pair was brand new, never worn, with the tags still on them. I would say the average price was around $750 for mostly new shoes. Mine aren't new. They haven't been worn much, because they're my "good Chucks". I've had them for 10 years now. They're part of the family. My only concern now is that I might get mugged by someone wanting to steal my shoes.

The store where I bought them is a small independent shoe store that was on Yonge Street for years. I bought a tiny pair of Chuck Taylor's there for my youngest when she was a toddler, and she turns 31 this year. Last week, I was thinking that when the crud is over, I'd like to go to Toronto and see if that store is still there, and what they might have in stock.

And I thought this was interesting. A friend posted this elsewhere with the caption: "Caught something odd on my trail cam"

View attachment 451592

Really funny.
People can get so creative!

Yes. Funniest one yet. Would have been even more funny though if he hadn't embellished the critters in there. Leave out the coyote and snake for instance. No idea how he did that though.

View attachment 451592

Really funny.
People can get so creative!

Yes. Funniest one yet. Would have been even more funny though if he hadn't embellished the critters in there. Leave out the coyote and snake for instance. No idea how he did that though.

It's some type of graphical software program that they use.
They are fun to play with.

Gals, If you want to get some guy the greatest Valentine's gift ever!! :D

The perfect Valentine's gift for a guy.........

Oh that's beautiful. Hombre put one similar to that together as a kit--not real, just decorative--one time and we had it mounted in our living room for years. But it wasn't real and had little sentimental value for us so we eventually sold it at a garage sale.

Daughter has had second preventative surgery, and feels terrible. I can hardly bear it.

I’m thousands of miles away from her, in Cyprus.

So sorry Mindful. That makes it so hard on both of you. Especially even if you were there, they probably wouldn't allow you to be with her because of the pandemic. I remember some years ago our daughter had to have an emergency appendectomy--her significant other called to tell us as he had to stay with her resident critters while she was laid up. It was maddening not being able to be there, not knowing how it was going, how much danger she was in. Daughter came through just fine though with no complications. I would be a wreck if I was in your position.

Just saw this, and thankyou. I’m back in Europe, and thankfully allowed out and about. The authorities checked up on me by phone, and cut short my quarantine. The mask police are on duty in the town, because the law now requires only two types of masks to be worn.

Daughter is not doing so well. Is in much pain, has lost a stone in weight, and other stuff. I just hope for better times. For all of us.

Well, Coffee Shoppers, first an update. I'm well on the way to being COVID free! I had the Rendesovir treatment and today, I received the second of two Pfizer vaccines. Oxygen tubes still run up my snoot, and it feels wonderful. My dark times are over and now it's down to me and the physical terrorists to get me back on my feet.

But I don't want to be the invalid today. I've been recalling past adventures and feel more like spinning a yarn for your enjoyment.

Way back in the early 1990s as the Berlin Wall was being chopped up and sold as souvenirs, I found myself in Europe for 18 glorious, eye opening month. One long stint was in the chaotic city of Naples, Italy.

I always took full advantage of days off to explore wherever I happened to be. I arrived exhausted after the overnight flight to sunny Italy on a Friday afternoon. After checking into my hotel, meetings with U.S. Navy officers and a quick tour of the project, I decided to drive randomly into Naples to see what I might expect for the coming months.

There was a small coffe shop on a crowded and winding side street. Now, a Neopoitan coffee shop ain't a coffee shop where the waitresses call you 'Hun' and come around regularly with a pot of full strength joe in one hand, decaf in the other. Now glass carrousel of slices of pie or a Blue Plate special advertised.

Rather, this place was what we might call 'old world shabby chic'. Reeking with antique atmosphere, large silver espresso machine hissed behind a long oak bar. Littl round tables draped in white linen tablecloths with bottles of fizzy water in carafes, silverware laid elegantly along side porcelain cups and saucers.

I ordered a thimble sized cup of espresso and an almond biscotti baked in the back room. It served as the perfect pic-me-up and I certainly felt more sophisticated than a boy from The Ohio River valley should.

I strode from the shop onto the street feeling ready for anything! Now, in order for this next part of the tale to make sense, I must divulge a piece of personal information. My last name is one borne by a group of ne'er-do-wells from Dundee, Scotland. It's Kidd.

I heard a man calling, "Kid!" on the street. My first thought, as it was my first day in a new country was someone is calling after a child. "Kid! Kidd!" He shouted. It turned out to be the desk clerk from my hotel! What were the odds?

He, like all the Italians I met, was open, friendly, curious and eager to show me as much of Neapolitan life as he could! We climbed into my rented Opal and took me on a personal tour of the city,

Travel opens your eyes and mind, of that I am certain. I had no idea how it could open your heart to people and places as well.

And that's the news from my little part of the sandbox today. I wish you all well. Stay safe, help others when you can and open yourself to the well being of others.

So good to hear from you and that there is a light at the end of your tunnel NOSMO. But you still get the vaccine after you get the virus? Wouldn't having the virus provide immunity? I honestly don't know.

My kin who were in WWII and experienced Italy, even in wartime, all say that was their favorite experience of the war. I don't know anybody who has been to Italy who didn't find the experience more positive than negative if there was any negativity at all. My brother-in-law was a first generation Italian-American--his grandparents, parents, and older brother escaped Northern Italy as Mussolini began tightening fascism around that country. They would settle in Southern Colorado and New Mexico where the menfolk worked the coal mines. My sis had five kids and all of them had kids and grandkids so I have a fairly large chunk of my family of Italian heritage.

When life gives you lemons.

Heaven on earth, in Capri.

0E073D7B-DF09-4DFE-9AFC-DC8DD2AE4160.jpeg

It's the coldest week of the year so of course my furnace gave up the ghost at 3:30 am on January 31st. This was not entirely unexpected. The furnace guy told me that it needed to be replaced in the Fall of 2019, when he was cleaning it at the start of the season. Plus all of the other units in the building have had to be replaced in the past two years. The Landlord was here last week with the furnace guy looking at where they would put the new one.

I called the Landlord at 8:30, apologized for calling him on a Sunday, and he had the furnace repair guy here by 10:00. The Furnance Guy has found a unit that he can swap out for the old one without moving the location of the furnace, but how long it will take to order it and have it delivered with covid lockdowns and all. He'd really like to patch this one up and do this in Spring.

Let's just say, efforts to patch up the furnace are not succeeding, and it's not for lack of trying. The furnace guy has been here the better part of two of the last four days, and still the furance isn't working. I have two electric space heaters, and a gas stove. Plus I live on the 2nd floor of a 4-plex so I get heat from below. I'm quite cozy, and can manage the heat, but I'd really rather have a functioning furnace. I also have electric baseboard heaters, but running any kind of electric heat is really expensive. I know they work but the dust will burn off them and stink up the place if I'm forced to use them.

I need to win the lottery so I can become a snowbird. Fly to some warm island after Christmas and come home at the end of April.

Well, seeing how it’s past 2:15 am I think I’ll go to bed. Good night everybody or should I say Good Morning?

For me it would be good night. For others I think good morning. I was up almost as late as you last night though. I keep telling myself as a retired adult I should be able to stay up late if I want to. And the next thing I know it's 1 or 2 in the morning. That isn't a good thing if I have a morning appointment though and can't sleep in as long as I want.

It's the coldest week of the year so of course my furnace gave up the ghost at 3:30 am on January 31st. This was not entirely unexpected. The furnace guy told me that it needed to be replaced in the Fall of 2019, when he was cleaning it at the start of the season. Plus all of the other units in the building have had to be replaced in the past two years. The Landlord was here last week with the furnace guy looking at where they would put the new one.

I called the Landlord at 8:30, apologized for calling him on a Sunday, and he had the furnace repair guy here by 10:00. The Furnance Guy has found a unit that he can swap out for the old one without moving the location of the furnace, but how long it will take to order it and have it delivered with covid lockdowns and all. He'd really like to patch this one up and do this in Spring.

Let's just say, efforts to patch up the furnace are not succeeding, and it's not for lack of trying. The furnace guy has been here the better part of two of the last four days, and still the furance isn't working. I have two electric space heaters, and a gas stove. Plus I live on the 2nd floor of a 4-plex so I get heat from below. I'm quite cozy, and can manage the heat, but I'd really rather have a functioning furnace. I also have electric baseboard heaters, but running any kind of electric heat is really expensive. I know they work but the dust will burn off them and stink up the place if I'm forced to use them.

I need to win the lottery so I can become a snowbird. Fly to some warm island after Christmas and come home at the end of April.

And of course if you win the lottery, you can afford any kind of heat you want in your apartment. And be sure to remember those of us who need to be in your will or Christmas gift list. :)

Well, Coffee Shoppers, first an update. I'm well on the way to being COVID free! I had the Rendesovir treatment and today, I received the second of two Pfizer vaccines. Oxygen tubes still run up my snoot, and it feels wonderful. My dark times are over and now it's down to me and the physical terrorists to get me back on my feet.

But I don't want to be the invalid today. I've been recalling past adventures and feel more like spinning a yarn for your enjoyment.

Way back in the early 1990s as the Berlin Wall was being chopped up and sold as souvenirs, I found myself in Europe for 18 glorious, eye opening month. One long stint was in the chaotic city of Naples, Italy.

I always took full advantage of days off to explore wherever I happened to be. I arrived exhausted after the overnight flight to sunny Italy on a Friday afternoon. After checking into my hotel, meetings with U.S. Navy officers and a quick tour of the project, I decided to drive randomly into Naples to see what I might expect for the coming months.

There was a small coffe shop on a crowded and winding side street. Now, a Neopoitan coffee shop ain't a coffee shop where the waitresses call you 'Hun' and come around regularly with a pot of full strength joe in one hand, decaf in the other. Now glass carrousel of slices of pie or a Blue Plate special advertised.

Rather, this place was what we might call 'old world shabby chic'. Reeking with antique atmosphere, large silver espresso machine hissed behind a long oak bar. Littl round tables draped in white linen tablecloths with bottles of fizzy water in carafes, silverware laid elegantly along side porcelain cups and saucers.

I ordered a thimble sized cup of espresso and an almond biscotti baked in the back room. It served as the perfect pic-me-up and I certainly felt more sophisticated than a boy from The Ohio River valley should.

I strode from the shop onto the street feeling ready for anything! Now, in order for this next part of the tale to make sense, I must divulge a piece of personal information. My last name is one borne by a group of ne'er-do-wells from Dundee, Scotland. It's Kidd.

I heard a man calling, "Kid!" on the street. My first thought, as it was my first day in a new country was someone is calling after a child. "Kid! Kidd!" He shouted. It turned out to be the desk clerk from my hotel! What were the odds?

He, like all the Italians I met, was open, friendly, curious and eager to show me as much of Neapolitan life as he could! We climbed into my rented Opal and took me on a personal tour of the city,

Travel opens your eyes and mind, of that I am certain. I had no idea how it could open your heart to people and places as well.

And that's the news from my little part of the sandbox today. I wish you all well. Stay safe, help others when you can and open yourself to the well being of others.

So good to hear from you and that there is a light at the end of your tunnel NOSMO. But you still get the vaccine after you get the virus? Wouldn't having the virus provide immunity? I honestly don't know.

My kin who were in WWII and experienced Italy, even in wartime, all say that was their favorite experience of the war. I don't know anybody who has been to Italy who didn't find the experience more positive than negative if there was any negativity at all. My brother-in-law was a first generation Italian-American--his grandparents, parents, and older brother escaped Northern Italy as Mussolini began tightening fascism around that country. They would settle in Southern Colorado and New Mexico where the menfolk worked the coal mines. My sis had five kids and all of them had kids and grandkids so I have a fairly large chunk of my family of Italian heritage.

When life gives you lemons.

Heaven on earth, in Capri.

View attachment 452783

Oh my, that is beautiful.

Daughter has had second preventative surgery, and feels terrible. I can hardly bear it.

So sorry Mindful. That makes it so hard on both of you. Especially even if you were there, they probably wouldn't allow you to be with her because of the pandemic. I remember some years ago our daughter had to have an emergency appendectomy--her significant other called to tell us as he had to stay with her resident critters while she was laid up. It was maddening not being able to be there, not knowing how it was going, how much danger she was in. Daughter came through just fine though with no complications. I would be a wreck if I was in your position.

Just saw this, and thankyou. I’m back in Europe, and thankfully allowed out and about. The authorities checked up on me by phone, and cut short my quarantine. The mask police are on duty in the town, because the law now requires only two types of masks to be worn.

Daughter is not doing so well. Is in much pain, has lost a stone in weight, and other stuff. I just hope for better times. For all of us.

Amen to that Mindful. Amen to that.

Amen to that Mindful. Amen to that.

I’ve just realised I posted “stone” for weight. I think it equates to 14 Ibs.

I'm having a hard time with having to sell Mr. P's motorcycle trike.
I need to clean out all of the compartments and can't bring myself to do it.
That bike was so much a part of him so it's like selling off a part of him.
I know I have to sell it, but I'm having a hard time with doing so.
Good luck choosing. :huddle:

Forum List

Back