USA World Cup Squad Announced

Merchant_of_Meh

Child of the Keywork
BoRTbvoIgAE1TsW.png

Obvious shock is Donovan being left off. Well aware his form isn't what it used to be, but sheesh....what cajones from Klinnsmann to make such a move.

Good to see 10 MLS players get the pick though. Shows the quality of the league is growing. Julian Green getting picked is intriguing as well, considering his age and inexperience.

Overall, I see a lot of talent in this US squad. They are young and inexperienced and that will likely cost them against the teams we're facing in our group, who are older and much more seasoned, but I think our boys could probably be a bit more ballsy than we'll expect them to be. They know they're the underdogs of the group and will relish that role. Not hard to see an upset or 2 happening.

Think I'll just call it now and say Bradley to be our best player this tournament.

Meh, just doing my part as a patriotic 'Murican.

These guys will be really up against it. One cool thing about the WC in the US is that even those that don't like the sport can rally behind our team simply because it's the USA. We'll need something like that to get out of this group.

Best stamina, best goal scoring ability, best defending, best goalkeeping, best technical ability. It measures the best of the best in the sport basically.

It's also produced some absolute legends of the game. Pele would be nowhere near as well-known as he is now without it.

Might as well go for youth to get them ready for 2018, 'cause they ain't getting out of this group.

Of course, they were also in The Group of Death in Korea and got out, so who knows.

Might as well go for youth to get them ready for 2018, 'cause they ain't getting out of this group.

Of course, they were also in The Group of Death in Korea and got out, so who knows.

Ghana are beatable. USA have just made the mistake of trying match them for physicality, which they can't. If we play how we've been playing in big matches, we'll be fine against them.

Portugal, as much of a one-man team as they are, are dangerous if we don't defend well so I really worry for our inexperienced defense.

As for Germany, this is where our physical fitness will come to the fore. They are a top 3 team in terms of technique, attack and defense, but they will struggle with the tropical climate in the Amazon. The USA probably will do much better in this regard and if the Germans tire out, we may be able to get something out of that.

So it's not a foregone conclusion. USA just needs to not make silly mistakes that have condemned them in the past.

No Brazilians on the team?

Nope, Benny Feilhaber is the only USA player who actually was born in Brazil. Didn't make the squad though, dsepite a good season in MLS.

JK had made a deal to put Julian Green onto the team. Even then, LD should have gotten the nod over many of the players taken. This is just Klinsmann enacting revenge, which is sad really; because this team clearly could use a dynamic player like Donovan, even if it's as the 20 minute sub.

Green's going to be on the bench watching the World Cup anyhow because he sucks. It's a misnomer that this had anything to do with 2018. Klinsmann simply wanted to stick it to Donovan, whom he detests for reasons that I'm too lazy to chronicle right now.

Forum List

Back