US sanctions 24 officials over Beijing's crackdown on Hong Kong, hours before first face-to-face talks with China

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
I don't want to get too petty as I am glad Bidens team stayed the course, however, the title should read "Trump administration sanctions officials, Biden maintains policy".

Once Biden or Harris starts talking publicly about China, and following it up with action; they will gain some credibility beyond the standard politician who has silently watched China eat the Wests lunch. The old "don't speak ill of China or they will lose face and be angry" is not only insulting to those who want the facts and accountability, it's exaggerrated.

China NEEDS the USA, Trump called them out often and even named the virus rightfully after the source. China didn't start WW3 because they were offended, the CCP thirst for power and survival. The U.S could undermine them permanently in a trade war.

There is some irony when I hear some accuse Trump of being mean as "words matter", however, some in government can't use this same approach to dealing with the greatest threat to humanity in our lifetime. There have been a few in his administration who are sober enough to speak strongly (Blinken comes to mind). I hope it continues, followed with direct, stern action.

The US has announced sanctions against another 24 Chinese officials in response to Beijing’s ongoing clampdown on freedoms in Hong Kong, just hours ahead of the first face-to-face talks between the Biden administration and China.

The sanctions come after China changed Hong Kong’s electoral law by reducing the role of the public to select its leaders and required candidates to be vetted to ensure their loyalty to Beijing.

The use of sanctions “underscores our deep concern” with those changes that Beijing has imposed on Hong Kong, said Anthony Blinken, US secretary of state.

“This action further undermines the high degree of autonomy promised to people in Hong Kong and denies Hong Kongers a voice in their own governance, a move that the United Kingdom has declared to be a breach of the Sino-British Joint Declaration.”

But it risks upsetting Beijing on the eve of the first in-person meeting between US and Chinese officials since president Joe Biden took office in Washington.

On Thursday, Mr Blinken and Jake Sullivan, US national security adviser, are due to meet with Chinese foreign minister Wang Yi and senior foreign policy adviser Yang Jiechi.

The meeting, to be held in Anchorage, is a chance for both sides to set the tone for the relationship going forward.

The US has said it would tackle disagreements over trade and human rights abuses in Xinjiang, Tibet and Hong Kong, while China has continually warned that Washington was “interfering” in domestic affairs.

Last edited:
I have very little confidence in biden to deal with china and north korea forcefully

but now is his chance to prove me wrong

Forum List

Back