US just launched missiles into Libya.......

We are not AT WAR with the Libyans....we are enforcing a no fly zone, just as we enforced a no fly zone for a near decade with Saddam when we WERE NOT AT WAR WITH HIM.

The War Powers Resolution of 1973 (50 U.S.C. 1541–1548) was a United States Congress joint resolution providing that the President can send U.S. armed forces into action abroad only by authorization of Congress or if the United States is already under attack or serious threat. The War Powers Resolution requires the president to notify Congress within 48 hours of committing armed forces to military action and forbids armed forces from remaining for more than 60 days, with a further 30 day withdrawal period, without an authorization of the use of military force or a declaration of war. The resolution was passed by two-thirds of Congress, overriding a presidential veto.

War Powers Resolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

oh and for what its worth this is NOT a no-fly zone. ;)

I posed a question in another thread regarding this very law...thanks for posting this.

I a sorry care but I don't think that is really adequate, the bush equation if you mean bush 2, didn't involve a war powers resolution trigger.

Which obama has tripped, I have not seen anything on the media as to his briefing to Congress etc....

found this also:

However, the U.N. resolution setting up the no-fly zone and mandating the protection of Libyan civilians does not call for regime change.

"This is about preventing the slaughter of the people in Banghazi," said an administration official who spoke on condition of anonymity when discussing strategy. "It's not about regime change."

Obama met with congressional leaders and senior administration officials at midday Friday and outlined how the administration will respond if Gadhafi fails to meet the coalition's demands.

The administration emphasized that the response was intended to be "time limited."

Lawmakers expressed a variety of concerns. But in interviews, several expressed confidence in the president's plans.

"We're going to have a limited role, a very short engagement, if there is one," said Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Mich., chairman of the House Intelligence Committee. "Within 24 to 48 hours, we'll be able to make a judgment" about whether Gadhafi is complying, Rogers said.

Rep. Howard Berman, D-Calif., senior Democrat on the House Foreign Affairs Committee, said that many lawmakers had "cautionary concerns," but that Obama ultimately won support from many.

Read more: Obama threatens military action against Libya, but limits U.S. scope - Wire - Lifestyle - bellinghamherald.com

there is some real beltway speak going on in the gov., or frankly, a slow walk back....and the source is anonymous for what its worth;

example, from your link;

"This is about preventing the slaughter of the people in Banghazi," said an administration official who spoke on condition of anonymity when discussing strategy. "It's not about regime change."

example-

Obama, Danish leader: Gaddafi must go

At White House, US president says Libyan leader 'lost legitimacy,' while Rasmussen condemns 'violent repression' of Libyan people

Reuters
Published: 03.15.11, 00:15 / Israel News

President Barack Obama and Denmark's prime minister said Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi should leave, but said little about how to make it happen.

Obama, Danish leader: Gaddafi must go - Israel News, Ynetnews

how does qadaffi go minus regime change?

I dunno trajan...perhaps by resigning and being sent to some haven country for the rest of his life, though i see this very unlikely.

We are not AT WAR with the Libyans....we are enforcing a no fly zone, just as we enforced a no fly zone for a near decade with Saddam when we WERE NOT AT WAR WITH HIM.

Is there a point here?

If the point is that we can more easily share our strategic plans with 550 congressman rather than 19, then you haven't grasped the concept of the need for secrecy in military planning, regardless of whether or not you call it "war."

found this also:

there is some real beltway speak going on in the gov., or frankly, a slow walk back....and the source is anonymous for what its worth;

example, from your link;

example-

At White House, US president says Libyan leader 'lost legitimacy,' while Rasmussen condemns 'violent repression' of Libyan people

Reuters

President Barack Obama and Denmark's prime minister said Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi should leave, but said little about how to make it happen.

I dunno trajan...perhaps by resigning and being sent to some haven country for the rest of his life, though i see this very unlikely.

yes, well, the overall point is, there is little reason for us to be doing this especially in the light of Darfur, Bahrain and Yemen.

I am sorry to have to go political but the left spent no little time, print and video telling us all how many terrorists we created by invading iraq, and Saddam was just as bad if not worse than gadaffi.....because; it was a war on.....wait for it; Muslims.

And gadaffi right this moment is using the same to rouse his own sppt., just as the insurrection started in Iraq, we won't have foreign fighters entering Libya to fight wiht qadaffi against the great satan and its euro lackeys? because that is to an extent among the extremists will be seen. And he has plenty of cash on hand to boot.

found this also:

example, from your link;

example-

Reuters

If we spent as much on a condo in Miami to haven Gaddafi as we have on Tomahawk Missles at $500,000/ea, I bet he could be convinced to retire.

did you read the warpowers resolution Care..?

and I have to make this point again, this is NOT a no fly zone, we are bombing them heartily.

Oops. Now it looks like F15s and F16s are attacking Mr Potato Heads ground forces. I bet that will keep them from flapping their arms and flying.

The War Powers Resolution of 1973 (50 U.S.C. 1541–1548) was a United States Congress joint resolution providing that the President can send U.S. armed forces into action abroad only by authorization of Congress or if the United States is already under attack or serious threat. The War Powers Resolution requires the president to notify Congress within 48 hours of committing armed forces to military action and forbids armed forces from remaining for more than 60 days, with a further 30 day withdrawal period, without an authorization of the use of military force or a declaration of war. The resolution was passed by two-thirds of Congress, overriding a presidential veto.

War Powers Resolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

oh and for what its worth this is NOT a no-fly zone. ;)

I posed a question in another thread regarding this very law...thanks for posting this.

thx, I have actually posted this for days in several threads. but I fear its just a tad inconvenient for those that wish to sppt obama yet willfully refuse to examine their motives for such ala Libya.

example, from your link;

example-

Reuters

yes, well, the overall point is, there is little reason for us to be doing this especially in the light of Darfur, Bahrain and Yemen.

I am sorry to have to go political but the left spent no little time, print and video telling us all how many terrorists we created by invading iraq, and Saddam was just as bad if not worse than gadaffi.....because; it was a war on.....wait for it; Muslims.

And gadaffi right this moment is using the same to rouse his own sppt., just as the insurrection started in Iraq, we won't have foreign fighters entering Libya to fight wiht qadaffi against the great satan and its euro lackeys? because that is to an extent among the extremists will be seen. And he has plenty of cash on hand to boot.

are we INVADING libya? Troops on the ground, us verses them....war?

I can see your concerns, but I think you could be a little over reacting to dissimilar circumstances....

What made the nofly zone against Iraq NOT a war and make this one a WAR?

What made the "right wing" support the war in iraq due to the UN resolution not being met, thus the USA had to do something?

Care

So the UN has suplanted the US Congress for declarations of war?

Cool. Obama gets to just rewrite the Constitution as he sees fit.

The Iraqi people never begged us for help.

The Lybian people did.

Obama Lied

Libyans Died.

Latest death toll from American Missile strikes is 48 Libyans.

How many were babies?

Please answer, because, ya know, the TRUTHMATTERS!!

Yes because we have to kill Libyans to save Libyans and that Gaddafi is certainly worse than that Saddam Hussein and these Bombings have absolutely nothing to do with Oil...Yea ok,whatever. The Left/Democrat spin on these bombings is very weak. And they could have at least presented this to our Congress for debate and authorization. My God,even their BOOOOOOSH Boogeyman did that.

are we INVADING libya? Troops on the ground, us verses them....war?

I can see your concerns, but I think you could be a little over reacting to dissimilar circumstances....

What made the nofly zone against Iraq NOT a war and make this one a WAR?

What made the "right wing" support the war in iraq due to the UN resolution not being met, thus the USA had to do something?

Care

Nah, this is Clinton's impotent sending of Tomahawks into A-stan in 1998

Expect Arab Terrorists to bring down an American Skyscraper in 2014.

We are shooting TommyHawk Crusie missles from our ships into Libya. That's war baby. That's war.

We are shooting TommyHawk Crusie missles from our ships into Libya. That's war baby. That's war.

I'm either going to send $1000 to Uncle Sam to help the war effort (and pay what I owe on my 2010 return) or simply burn it in the backyard.

I haven't decided which would be more useful in removing Gaddaffi from power.

Forum List

Back