UPDATE: Roads in Hawaii begin cracking near Kilauea as volcanic eruption imminent

upload_2018-5-3_21-58-47.png

Its dark now on the big Island as it is dusk here and Honolulu is 200 miles west of the volcano... So any live shots will be difficult...

Yeah, someone they just interviewed felt what they could get out would be it, but said at least they will be safe. I was surprised when he said they had not made any evacuation plans.

Believe it or not but lifestyle on the big Island is really laid back... I can believe that no evacuation plans were made...

Its dark now on the big Island as it is dusk here and Honolulu is 200 miles west of the volcano... So any live shots will be difficult...

Yeah, someone they just interviewed felt what they could get out would be it, but said at least they will be safe. I was surprised when he said they had not made any evacuation plans.

Believe it or not but lifestyle on the big Island is really laid back... I can believe that no evacuation plans were made...
That’s just crazy, but Key West south of us has the same attitude most of the time with hurricanes.

Looks like they ordered a complete evacuation now-

This is a Civil Defense update for Thursday May 3, 2018 at 6:50 PM.

Department of Public Works reports steam and lava emissions from a crack in Leilani Subdivision in the area of Mohala Street.

Due to the eruption, the following are issued:

• An emergency proclamation is now in effect and at the following link: http://hawaiicountymayor.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Emergency-Lava-proclamation-May-3-2018.pdf
  • All residents in Leilani Estates and Lanipuna Gardens Subdivisions are required to evacuate.
  • The Pahoa Regional Community Center near the new Pahoa Regional Park is open for shelter.
  • Keaau Community Center is to be opened for additional shelter needs.
  • Residents evacuating should ensure to bring your emergency evacuation supply kit including necessary medicine, food, and necessary items for your comfort if possible.
  • The intersection at Highway 132 and Pohoiki Road is now closed to allow evacuation efforts to proceed.
  • Puna Geothermal Venture is executing their emergency plan and starting to shut down operations at this time.
  • Avoid travel to the evacuation area for everyone’s safety.
Hawaii County Civil Defense, Police, Fire and partners continue to assist evacuation efforts and monitor the situation. You will be informed of any conditions that affect your safety.

Thank you. This is your Hawai’i County Civil Defense Agency.

Yeah all the time .
The last time lava threatened Puna was in 2014, when a flow closed roads for weeks in Pahoa, forced evacuations and claimed several structures, including one home.

Yeah, in geological terms Hawaii is erupting all the time. That volcano erupted for more than 10,000 straight days just ending a few years ago.

The link above, he said that new fissure opened up around 20-30 minutes ago. Said it is spewing over 150 ft at times. They keep telling him to evacuate. He is pulling back some now.

No worries, I'll just lay here till I see lava coming, then I'll run

3110725963_6992bb43b6.jpg

Just what I was thinking, too! :0

Yeah, he finally signed off, but the feed he recorded is still there for anyone to see it.
No worries, I'll just lay here till I see lava coming, then I'll run

3110725963_6992bb43b6.jpg

I've been visiting Hawaiian islands for 23 years, most of my adult life, so my concern about the Big Island is its hugest, gargantuan volcano, Mauna Loa, going off. If I remember correctly, Mauna Loa hasn't erupted in about 200 years, so it may be dormant but not extinct. Kilauea has been spewing lava into the Pacific 24/7 since the '80s, occasionally sending lava streams into the nearby Puna area (where I once rented a remote cabin for a month), so at least Kilauea's lava ooze is small and somewhat predictable. A Mauna Loa massive eruption would be a whole different story. It's been my running travel joke to locals, "I'm secretly a Polynesian inside a white man's body, lol!"

The Big Island is still located directly above the violent volcanic vent that created it. Over many millions of years, the Pacific geological plate has been moving northwest by a few centimeters a year. So most Pacific island chains are arranged from northwest to southeast, the northwest being the oldest, extinct volcanoes and the southeastern islands are the youngest with the most geological activity. That's true of Hawaii, Tahiti and the Cook Islands. So Hawaii's most southeastern island still has a lot of turbulent geological violence locked up in it. Pacific island formation is NOT a peaceful process.

At least people over there are taking it with philosophy...they know what it means to live close to a volcano....

If Pele comes Pele comes ....they are saying...:dunno:

Forum List

Back