University of Texas releases comprehensive 95-page report detailing the complex history of “The Eyes of Texas” school song, concluding it's not racist

I've said this in other threads, but with the subject at hand, it bears repeating.....................

People need to quit the "cancel culture" or getting rid of things that aren't "pc". Why? Because things have changed over the years. If you want to do something to make you feel better about being "inclusive" (and yeah, I'm being sarcastic about that, because if you don't denounce everything, you can't belong), how about printing a disclaimer at the front of the book, movie, whatever, that says this is how people thought back then, but we have since evolved. Those who don't remember the past are doomed to repeat it. Education rather than cancellation (and yeah, I thought about that one for a bit), should be the war cry.

I've said this in other threads, but with the subject at hand, it bears repeating.....................

People need to quit the "cancel culture" or getting rid of things that aren't "pc". Why? Because things have changed over the years. If you want to do something to make you feel better about being "inclusive" (and yeah, I'm being sarcastic about that, because if you don't denounce everything, you can't belong), how about printing a disclaimer at the front of the book, movie, whatever, that says this is how people thought back then, but we have since evolved. Those who don't remember the past are doomed to repeat it. Education rather than cancellation (and yeah, I thought about that one for a bit), should be the war cry.
Your suggestion is too sensible for our times and well stated. Unfortunately, there are a few (hundreds of thousands) who cannot do anything without complicating the heck out of things. Some of these folks are in charge around the country and are on high alert to make things about skin color even if it's as mundane as the phrase "normal skin" on a makeup label, meaning as opposed to oily or dry skin. At least one company is taking action to remove the word "normal". This could be a joke in another parallel universe.

As it stands, we're not too far away from when the day will come when nobody will be able to hold any type of impromptu conversations while out in public due to the increased likelihood the other person could be looking for a way to be offended and use it to gain financially. These social justice groups are pressure cookers churning out more cultural rules than ever before. Isn't the Left supposed to support unity through diversity not unity through excessive restrictive measures? Do they really want people to grow up who cannot accept any form of advice that is deemed to contain constructive criticism? People who cannot accept regular criticism when needed in life, well....you know the outcome.

By intentionally selling the idea that minorities should not be equal, but should be given more rights and special treatment is no different than how some prejudicial whites saw things back 100 years ago, although in reverse backing their own group. How can doing the reverse thing be considered right when it was wrong then?

I'm not talking about flagrant rascism where that is appalling, but things like makeup labels saying "for normal skin only"...they will no longer be allowed to use the word "normal" as opposed to dry or oily skin.

Why are these groups not holding personal confidence building type of discussions instead of choosing to focus on the negative...heck not just focus on it but to expand the negativity when it wasn't even there? How does a massive increase in social rules even happen 200 plus years after the inception of a democratic republic? Seems a successful society would not be increasing social rules 250 years post creation, but would stick to tweaking the rules to keep pace with the times and with new inventions. This new dimension of political correctness however....it's a different ballgame.

The kids will be the most damaged, those who are currently being taught to constantly be on the lookout for any type of offensive remark, REGARDLESS OF INTENT. Why would any group support the notion that kids should be even more sensitive to personal criticisms than they already are due to their age? The best faring kids learn to bounce back...and to bounce back strong. Good thing there are a lot of good parents out there who will continue to raise great kids -these parent don't usually make the news unless they save a life.

this should be reassuring, yet i am not reassured

Those motherfuckers would put out a bunch of shit like that, trying to defend their racism. Simpkins. Game, set, match.

FUCK THE GODDAMN LONGHORNS!!!!

No, some whites just need to learn that they aren't the only ones living here and that they alone do not get to define what America is. Because while some whites bitch about cancel culture, the fact is that whites have concelled other cultures from the history of this country.

No, some whites just need to learn that they aren't the only ones living here and that they alone do not get to define what America is. Because while some whites bitch about cancel culture, the fact is that whites have concelled other cultures from the history of this country.

Any blacks that think that song is wacist, should not have gone to that school in the first place.

To sign up for it, to go there, and then demand that they change to appease THEM, is them being the ones telling other people how to live.

Forum List

Back