united states postal service awareness

infman4x

Apr 3, 2011
i work for the us postal service and i would like to make the public and congress aware of certain points, first the postal service is not funded by tax dollars it is supported by its own revenue, through serving the public with varieties of mail processing.
as most know the postal service is in financial stress today mainly because of modern times, electronic mail, however congress can help the postal service by allowing them to stop investing money in the retirement system for a while, the postal service has over invested so much that it has put a financial strain as well, also congress needs to allow the postal service to stop sat. delivery across the us this will save mega bucks on fuel alone.
also the post master general needs to put a halt on supervisors using postal revenue for lunches and dinners, you bring it or you buy it, no free lunch, also bonuses for supervisors needs to stop, someone makes 60k to 75k a year giving them bonuses for doing their job is ridiculous, and i may be conserative on some yearly salarys.
also the ps needs a clause to limit workers to age 65, you have people working late 60s 70 up to 80 and believe it or not 90, give a young person a job or allow the ps to save, thank you.

i work for the us postal service and i would like to make the public and congress aware of certain points, first the postal service is not funded by tax dollars it is supported by its own revenue, through serving the public with varieties of mail processing.
as most know the postal service is in financial stress today mainly because of modern times, electronic mail, however congress can help the postal service by allowing them to stop investing money in the retirement system for a while, the postal service has over invested so much that it has put a financial strain as well, also congress needs to allow the postal service to stop sat. delivery across the us this will save mega bucks on fuel alone.
also the post master general needs to put a halt on supervisors using postal revenue for lunches and dinners, you bring it or you buy it, no free lunch, also bonuses for supervisors needs to stop, someone makes 60k to 75k a year giving them bonuses for doing their job is ridiculous, and i may be conserative on some yearly salarys.
also the ps needs a clause to limit workers to age 65, you have people working late 60s 70 up to 80 and believe it or not 90, give a young person a job or allow the ps to save, thank you.
I found this interesting article, just came out 2 days ago: Postal Bailout in our future?
FACTBOX-U.S. Post Office's troubled financial past | Reuters
Dec 2006: President George W. Bush signs a law requiring the agency to set aside about $5 billion each year for future health benefits of its workers. U.S. post offices are barred from offering non postal services like selling greeting cards or prepaid phone cards.
2007-2008: The Postal Service begins reporting multibillion-dollar losses as mail volume falls and an economic recession takes hold. Mail declines by more than 11 billion pieces by 2008 as consumers increasingly correspond by e-mail and pay bills online.
* July 2009: The Government Accountability Office puts the Postal Service on its list of "high-risk" federal agencies needing attention by Congress and the president.
* Sept-Nov 2009: Congress allows the agency to defer $4 billion of a scheduled $5.5 billion payment for retiree health benefits. In November, the agency still posts $3.8 billion in net losses for the year.
* March 2010: The Postal Service says it will incur $238 BILLION in losses IN THE NEXT TEN YEARS! It proposes eliminating Saturday delivery, shutting post offices or raising its prices -- moves that need congressional or regulator approval.
The USPS is a money black hole.

Just kill it.

Don't re-structure it. Don't bail it out.

Just kill it.

Dec 2006: President George W. Bush signs a law requiring the agency to set aside about $5 billion each year for future health benefits of its workers. U.S. post offices are barred from offering non postal services like selling greeting cards or prepaid

How many other agencies, corporations are required to do this?
Looks like Bush likely put the arrow thru the USPS's heart.
Lots of donations from UPS and Fedex?

I found this interesting article, just came out 2 days ago: Postal Bailout in our future?
Dec 2006: President George W. Bush signs a law requiring the agency to set aside about $5 billion each year for future health benefits of its workers. U.S. post offices are barred from offering non postal services like selling greeting cards or prepaid phone cards.
2007-2008: The Postal Service begins reporting multibillion-dollar losses as mail volume falls and an economic recession takes hold. Mail declines by more than 11 billion pieces by 2008 as consumers increasingly correspond by e-mail and pay bills online.
* July 2009: The Government Accountability Office puts the Postal Service on its list of "high-risk" federal agencies needing attention by Congress and the president.
* Sept-Nov 2009: Congress allows the agency to defer $4 billion of a scheduled $5.5 billion payment for retiree health benefits. In November, the agency still posts $3.8 billion in net losses for the year.
* March 2010: The Postal Service says it will incur $238 BILLION in losses IN THE NEXT TEN YEARS! It proposes eliminating Saturday delivery, shutting post offices or raising its prices -- moves that need congressional or regulator approval.

Just kill it.

Just kill it.

You know it's in the Constitution, right?

It'll take 2/3s of the states to "kill" the Post Office.

I'm not sure what this means! Stop investing because you have got enough already? or, stop investing and let the taxpayer do it? And if you don't rely on the taxpayers why are you petitioning Congress? Exactly?

The new techological communications model is making USPS obsolete. I doubt snail-mail service will make any sense in 20 years

It ought to be phased out over time such that the older workers get their full pensions, and the more recent hires get their vested interests in thir pensions, too.

Then the USPS then needs to sell off its enormous real estate and equipment holdings and give that cash to back to government.

The new techological communications model is making USPS obsolete. I doubt snail-mail service will make any sense in 20 years

It ought to be phased out over time such that the older workers get their full pensions, and the more recent hires get their vested interests in thir pensions, too.

Then the USPS then needs to sell off its enormous real estate and equipment holdings and give that cash to back to government.

exactly

From what I understand, the Post Office delivers packages for FedEx and UPS in rural areas. They should simply raise their fees for doing this.

If USPS goes down, mailing packages is going to become a lot more expensive.

Just kill it.

Just kill it.

You know it's in the Constitution, right?

It'll take 2/3s of the states to "kill" the Post Office.

The congress has the AUTHORITY under the constitution to set up the post office, not a requirement.

"The congress shall have the power....To Establish post offices and post roads."

That means they can if they want to, not that they have to.

I think we will always have a need for a Postal Service, but not in its current form.

The postal service needs to close down unprofitable routes for rural deliveries. If you have to drive five or ten miles to get your mail.....so be it

I do not need delivery every day. Most of my mail is not time sensitive and an extra day will not matter. Do postal deliveries two or three times a week....like my garbage man

Why does it cost 44 cents to send a letter cross town and 44 cents to send a letter cross-country?

I think we will always have a need for a Postal Service, but not in its current form.

The postal service needs to close down unprofitable routes for rural deliveries. If you have to drive five or ten miles to get your mail.....so be it

I do not need delivery every day. Most of my mail is not time sensitive and an extra day will not matter. Do postal deliveries two or three times a week....like my garbage man

Why does it cost 44 cents to send a letter cross town and 44 cents to send a letter cross-country?
Maybe. But that would put a lot more traffic on the road and use up a lot more gasoline.

The postal workers often speak slow and garbled. I can't handle the post office.

Maybe. But that would put a lot more traffic on the road and use up a lot more gasoline.

These are rural areas, they can handle the traffic

Going to pick up your mail would be just an additional stop when you have to go into town to get groceries or supplies

Just kill it.

Just kill it.
as soon as i retire you can do whatever the hell you want with it.....but dont moan when you get 800,000 new unemployed people.....all at once....

Forum List

Back