UN Special Envoy: 40 Years May Be Needed to Restore Peace in Syria

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
Think of the hardships more and more people will have to suffer -- as if there are not enough now who are suffering.

UN Special Envoy: 40 Years May Be Needed to Restore Peace in Syria

886152.jpg

A displaced Syrian girl walks past tents at a camp located in a rebel-held area on the outskirts of the northern city of Aleppo, near the border with Turkey, on January 13, 2015. AFP/Karam al-Masri
Published Thursday, January 15, 2015

Forty years may be needed to restore conflict-hit Syria unless a political solution is reached urgently, the UN's special envoy for Syria has said.

Staffan de Mistura's comments came on Thursday as Russia prepared to host a meeting between Syrian government officials and opposition figures from January 26 to 29, after the second round of Geneva talks in 2014 failed to end the conflict which has claimed more than 200,000 lives.

"Syria has gone 40 years backwards from where it was and it may need the same amount of time to restore the country unless a political solution is reached urgently," de Mistura said.

Continue reading at:

UN Special Envoy 40 Years May Be Needed to Restore Peace in Syria Al Akhbar English?

Wow, Sunni Stalker troll is on a troll binge ! I see his name and profile pic on the right side of the Middle East section for 'last post' for like 7 threads.

Sunni Stalker Troll, what's it like being a grown man, spending your entire day trolling message forums and stalking Sally in EVERY thread she starts?

I have watched a few think tank/university discussions of the Middle East lately. Not a single person has had anything hopeful to say about the Middle East. Not one. The one that might be an exception was something I was watching about an hour ago. At a conference that was held 2 months ago in the Institute of Politics at Harvard the, I believe previous, ambassador from Saudi Arabia said all one had to do is install a unity government in Iraq and Syria and all the problems would go away. He did not seem to understand why no one had done so. (When one makes such outlandish comments I always expect an alternative motive.)

I would say hello to Sunni Man but he has me on ignore. Oh well, HELLO SUNNI MAN! :biggrin:

I have watched a few think tank/university discussions of the Middle East lately. Not a single person has had anything hopeful to say about the Middle East. Not one. The one that might be an exception was something I was watching about an hour ago. At a conference that was held 2 months ago in the Institute of Politics at Harvard the, I believe previous, ambassador from Saudi Arabia said all one had to do is install a unity government in Iraq and Syria and all the problems would go away. He did not seem to understand why no one had done so. (When one makes such outlandish comments I always expect an alternative motive.)

I would say hello to Sunni Man but he has me on ignore. Oh well, HELLO SUNNI MAN! :biggrin:

I can't imagine Sunni Man having you on Ignore since he is so lonely for company. You see how he can't resist stalking me. It's like he is saying "Yoo hoo, please notice me."

Anyhow, there is so much chaos in the Middle East and even other parts of the Muslim world such as the Sudan that one wonders if they will ever get it together and people could live in peace.

Forum List

Back