UK Election May 2015

Mindlight

Dec 5, 2014
Germany
Seems the electioneering is about to begin. UKIP are threatening the old 3 party system in the South and the SNP look set to decimate Labour in the North. For the first time in a long time the result appears wide open and it is unclear who will win. It may well be local tactical voting that determines the final result

1) Who do you want to win and why?

2) If no party has a majority what combination of parties would you favour and why?

3) What is the main issue in this coming election - how does that impact your voting preference?

Seems the electioneering is about to begin. UKIP are threatening the old 3 party system in the South and the SNP look set to decimate Labour in the North. For the first time in a long time the result appears wide open and it is unclear who will win. It may well be local tactical voting that determines the final result

1) Who do you want to win and why?

2) If no party has a majority what combination of parties would you favour and why?

3) What is the main issue in this coming election - how does that impact your voting preference?
ask someone from the UK.......we have at least 2 i know of....

How long will they ignore the Muslim elephant in London? Or have they given up?

1. Conservatives

2. Conservatives / LibDems

3. Economy

1. The British Conservative Party are a bunch of spineless clowns who refuse to hold a referendum on withdrawing from the European Union.

2. Both would sell Britain down the river in a heartbeat.

3. Wrong. The chief concern among voters is immigration.

UK out of EU.

Whichever party seems most committed to that is likely to score big but not enough to form a government without joining with the party whose "UK out" platform seems second-most believable.

No, I'm not a UK citizen - just spend a lot of time there.

Press would have you think "UK out" is code for anti-immigration. Some of it is but most is over having to shift to metrics, regulations on stuff like the allowable size of apples. Everyday little bits of sand in the shoes.

Good point.

The economy has gotten much better under the Tories.

And that's why they'll be re-elected with a slim majority.

In all honesty, it wouldn't surprise me if the Tories were voted back in. But time has begun to tick on the so-called Conservative Party now that their grassroots supporters have seen them for what they are; and now have an alternative that is openly and fiercely hostile towards the European Union: UKIP.

Last edited:
In all honesty, it wouldn't surprise me if the Tories were voted back in. But time has begun to tick on the so-called Conservative Party now that their grassroots supporters have seen them for what they are; and now have an alternative that is openly and fiercely hostile towards the European Union: UKIP.

Cameron was quoted earlier today as saying he would not rule out a coalition with UKIP. I do not believe for a minute that Conservatives can get enough votes to form a government unaided.

As to Scotland, they have unleashed a drive for English Independence - something they will likely come to regret.

1. Conservatives

3. Economy

I second that. I would like to see David Cameron continue as the PM of UK. I am not sure if UK has term limit like US has. Cameron is doing a great job. He has lowered unemployment rate. He has cracked down on anti social elements that were destroying the social fabric of UK. The list of good things him and his cabinet has done is long. I hope people of UK will not get paranoid and end up electing some crazy people into power.

I hope people of UK will not get paranoid and end up electing some crazy people into power.

Not much worry. Labour is not likely to dump Milliband so they have no real shot. But beware his brother......

I am hearing David Miliband still has support of quite a few MPs so he may come back to Labor.

On a separate note:
I think only thing that is hurting David Cameron is his inability to pull out of EU. It seems like people in UK are fed up with EU and he should respect that.

1. The British Conservative Party are a bunch of spineless clowns who refuse to hold a referendum on withdrawing from the European Union.

Not sure if that is true about the referendum

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/jan/22/eu-referendum-2017-david-Cameron

The chief concern amongst voters in South east England and London may well be immigration as that is where the immigrants mainly are. However that is not the case in Scotland or the South west for instance

Last edited:
UK out of EU.

Whichever party seems most committed to that is likely to score big but not enough to form a government without joining with the party whose "UK out" platform seems second-most believable.

No, I'm not a UK citizen - just spend a lot of time there.

Press would have you think "UK out" is code for anti-immigration. Some of it is but most is over having to shift to metrics, regulations on stuff like the allowable size of apples. Everyday little bits of sand in the shoes.

The polling on EU membership seems quite divided at the moment with a slight edge for those saying they wish to stay.

BBC News - UK split on EU membership - BBC poll

A Tory - UKIP arrangement would be the most sceptical about Europe.

Deeper than immigration IMHO is a complete distrust of the current political elite in the UK and an association of their mistakes with Europe and the wider European political elite. It seems to me that voters are genuinely angry in the UK. But the anger is on many issues. Some will never forgive the passing of the gay marriage laws and those that voted for that, some think that all MPs cheat on their expenses, some want an independent Scotland.

1. Conservatives

3. Economy

Rubbish its the economy stupid.

Good point.

The economy has gotten much better under the Tories.

And that's why they'll be re-elected with a slim majority.

The economy is usually the main issue and Labour were clearly a shambles last time. The voters do not really want a Labour Administration cause they wrecked the economy last time.

UKIP policy of withdrawing from Europe would most likely be very expensive in the short term. I am not saying in the long term it would not work out but there are some large transition costs. I am not sure the voters understand these costs.

EU Freedom of movement has brought massive benefits to the British economy.

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/9172b1f4-455d-11e3-b98b-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3NwOfo07A

The rebalancing of the economy from the public to the private sector by the Tories has been a necessary and healthy process. But the deficit has yet to be eliminated.

Forum List

Back