Two short Netflix movie reviews: Bird Box, Wolves at the Door...

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Bird Box: Some originality on the theme of "end of the world" "catastrophe" type movies. Sandra Bullock is the main character. Worth the watch, somewhat predictable if you are good at seeing things in a movie but certainly not as predictable as other movies in the genre. It's based on a book, which I always prefer as their are better novelists than Hollywood script writers.

One aspect I like about these movies is you try to figure out how to solve their problem in order to survive. Second guess their decisions, etc.

Wolves at the Door: Essentially based on the Sharon Tate murder. We didn't realize this when we decided to watch it, didn't even know it was "based on a true story", even then, figured it would be a random re-enactment of some crazy hippies from the 1960's.

Even though most know the history, still suspenseful and frightening especially since obviously there are sick people like this on this planet. As it's a drama, it's not entirely accurate to the real event. This movie is one I watch and get angry at the injustice and senselessness of it all.

Some reviewers gave it much lower marks based on the "exploitation" of the murders. Fair enough. It certainly wouldn't be nearly the first to do this, and 50 years have passed.

Neither of these movies are in my wheelhouse, but, for their genres, they are what they are, it's really difficult for me to give any movie 5 stars nowadays.

As a final question, for those who has seen (or haven't, but have an opinion), do you think it's right/fair for movie producers to exploit a tragedy by making a movie on the subject?

A tough call for me. It's certainly bad taste, but if not for fiction often mirroring reality, there would be many movies that were never made. From Titanic to this movie.

Forum List

Back