Two-party death spiral is killing us

These elected "leaders" (ha) wouldn't behave like they do if their top priorities were not fundraising and re-election. Anyone who denies that is in abject denial.

So, short term limits and publicly-funded elections. And sure, let's add on ranked-choice voting.
I'm adamantly opposed to publicly-funded elections. The sitting government should never have the power to decide who its challengers will be.
This doesn't change unless and until we change the system under which these people operate. As long as we willingly allow it, we're a part of the problem.

Can't argue with that.

This is what you get with an uninformed electorate and people having a right to vote that have no skin in the game. Raising the voting age to 21 or 25 would likely end most of our problems. Requiring that a person actually pays taxes for at least 8 months of the year in order to vote would fix the rest, unless retired. Of course that would require Constitutional amendments, so it's unlikely to happen.

For my money, the biggest problem we have in US politics today is the lack of consensus. Partisan idiocy undermines everything we do, costing us money and lives. Our system actively discourages consensus and blocks out alternatives. Time to fix it.

Ideas?

I think both ranked-choice voting (to get rid of LO2E) and multi-rep districts (to reduce gerrymandering) would help a lot. Of course the problem is that any reform has to make it through the two-party shitshow before it can be implemented. And the partisans have an vested interest in preventing that.
You apparently lack any ideas because you don't understand the topic.

Ranked choice voting has already proven to be the wrong way to run an election. It is wasteful, time consuming and depends on the idiocy of the uninformed voter.

You cannot even show me a gerrymandered Congressional district as the courts only allow such to achieve racial Representation in Congress. Without gerrymandering, many states would have lily white delegations of one party.

Your ideas could be implemented by the state, not the federal government. I am betting you didn't know that either!

As long as the American people insist on voting with blinders on there isn't much anyone can do to change things. There are usually plenty of candidates running but over 90% of the population limit themselves to just two choices. The rest of us are the smart ones.
Really? What candidates have the "rest" of you managed to get elected? Epic failure.

You apparently lack any ideas because you don't understand the topic.

Ranked choice voting has already proven to be the wrong way to run an election. It is wasteful, time consuming and depends on the idiocy of the uninformed voter.
How so?
You cannot even show me a gerrymandered Congressional district as the courts only allow such to achieve racial Representation in Congress. Without gerrymandering, many states would have lily white delegations of one party.
Not with multi-district reps and ranked choice voting.
Your ideas could be implemented by the state, not the federal government. I am betting you didn't know that either!
Fuck you. Why do you choose to be an insulting twat as your default?

Last edited:
How so?

Not with multi-district reps and ranked choice voting.

Fuck you. Why do you be an insulting twat as your default?
See, you don't understand the topic. Your "how so?" tells everyone that you cannot support the very ideas you propose with facts and figures. It is not for me to prove it works, because it simply doesn't.

I have to default to insulting twats like you who pretend to understand the topic, when you have no f-ing clue as to how our government works.

Your solutions are all addressed to federal elections, yet your state has the power to make those changes, not Congress. Get together a bunch of likeminded morons and implement them in your elections and see how it works. New York tried it recently for Congressional elections and the NYC mayor's race, and it failed miserably. No one knew who won the Congressional race for months into the new session, so they were without representation. On the mayoral election, they took several days to even count the votes and even then, they could only guess who won.

It's really not though. So much of the opposition is gratuitous and hypocritical. Neither side follows much of an ideology, other than sheer, unbridled lust for power.

Actually, it has been a globalist one-party system for decades, except for a brief interruption by Trump who reimagined an alternative that began to really work.
Their soft coups failed and they finally had to rig the last election, short of assassinating him.

The elections are local, so what do I have to do with elections in your hovel?

You obviously failed to convince anyone else to support your bizarre ideas.

You continue to demonstrate you are exactly the problem being described in this thread, so why do you think we're interested in your opinion? All your comments are doing is validating everything we've said.

You continue to demonstrate you are exactly the problem being described in this thread, so why do you think we're interested in your opinion? All your comments are doing is validating everything we've said.
Why worry about me? I don't impact your elections in the slightest. I know you are gay, but you can put away that hard-on for me.

Police your own preference party, work on getting the best most capable honest hard working( not just loud talking) people in office. Problem fixed. but no takers, easier to just blame the other guy.

For my money, the biggest problem we have in US politics today is the lack of consensus. Partisan idiocy undermines everything we do, costing us money and lives. Our system actively discourages consensus and blocks out alternatives. Time to fix it
Exactly. Great Idea. You can all agree with ME and everything will be fine.

We have the two party system, but we also have a school system that is more concerned with creating conformists instead of thinking individuals.

Just look at this forum and all the dozens and dozens of posters who know no more of the world around them than what team they are on.

Not legally.
Legally there is not a single piece of legislation that even mentions 2 parties at all.
We should NOT be having primaries based on parties, in any way.
What we should do is what most of the world does, is just have ONE election, put everyone on the ballot who wants to run, and then let voters rate them so you can end a tie without another run off election being necessary.

Forum List

Back