Two Men Finally Released From Prison After Serving 42 Years For A Murder They Didn’t Commit

Two men finally released from prison after serving 42 years for a murder they didn’t commit

Wrongfully-convicted-800x430.png

Clifford Williams Jr. and his nephew, Hubert Myers (Photo by: Florida Dept. of Corrections)

The May 1976 death of Jeannette Williams landed two innocent men in jail for the crime. For over 40 years, Clifford Williams Jr. and his nephew, Hubert Myers have maintained their innocence, to no avail. But after the actual murderer admitted the crime to friends of the men, the accused were finally released from the Florida jail, News4JAX reported.

Williams’ roommate, Nina Marshal, who was also shot, identified the two men after saying that they came into the bedroom and fired the shots at both of them. Evidence gathered at the time, however, showed that the shots came from outside the apartment. That still wasn’t enough to discount her claims.

Meyers and Williams said that they were at a party down the street and many witnesses corroborated their alibi, but none of that evidence was brought up during the trial.

Prosecutors at the time spun a story that Williams and Myers committed the murder because of a drug the victim owed, but the only evidence was the testimony from the roommate.

“This is the first case the unit has investigated that has led to an inmate’s release,” the report said.

Two men finally released from prison after serving 42 years for a murder they didn't commit

How many of you USMB self-proclaimed conservatives and Republicans are even the list bit upset that two innocent American citizens suffered beyond measure for something they didn't commit?

Also, what should be done about it? How much money should they get for this travesty?

Why wouldn't we be upset, you dumb ass? Innocent people shouldn't go to jail......as far as compensation......They should get free, first class healthcare for life, for themselves and their immediate family, a free home up to the value of about 500,000 dollars, tax free status for the rest of their life, and at minimum....a million dollars for each year spent in prison.....tax free.......and all the counseling and other help they may need...

You are an idiot....
They should but the reality is.....?

I do have to say though that when I saw this happened in the state of Florida I wasn't the least bit surprised.

Two men finally released from prison after serving 42 years for a murder they didn’t commit

Clifford Williams Jr. and his nephew, Hubert Myers (Photo by: Florida Dept. of Corrections)

The May 1976 death of Jeannette Williams landed two innocent men in jail for the crime. For over 40 years, Clifford Williams Jr. and his nephew, Hubert Myers have maintained their innocence, to no avail. But after the actual murderer admitted the crime to friends of the men, the accused were finally released from the Florida jail, News4JAX reported.

Williams’ roommate, Nina Marshal, who was also shot, identified the two men after saying that they came into the bedroom and fired the shots at both of them. Evidence gathered at the time, however, showed that the shots came from outside the apartment. That still wasn’t enough to discount her claims.

Meyers and Williams said that they were at a party down the street and many witnesses corroborated their alibi, but none of that evidence was brought up during the trial.

Prosecutors at the time spun a story that Williams and Myers committed the murder because of a drug the victim owed, but the only evidence was the testimony from the roommate.

“This is the first case the unit has investigated that has led to an inmate’s release,” the report said.

Two men finally released from prison after serving 42 years for a murder they didn't commit

How many of you USMB self-proclaimed conservatives and Republicans are even the list bit upset that two innocent American citizens suffered beyond measure for something they didn't commit?

Also, what should be done about it? How much money should they get for this travesty?
40 years x $100,000 per year oughta let them enjoy what time they have left.
A lil Hawaii action, Europe, Asia, a decent house.

40 years x $100,000 per year oughta let them enjoy what time they have left.
A lil Hawaii action, Europe, Asia, a decent house.
It’s not enough. The cost to the state has to hurt. And hurt bad. That’s the only way the system can be motivated to change what needs changing.

Problem is , at the time they didn't have the DNA tech we have now but they DID have it pretty long ago when it shoul'd have been dealt with.

I'm not sure about Florida specifically but prosecutors as well as the police are generally immune from any lawsuits or criminal actions intended to hold them liable. And apparently the bar for the provision that excludes acts of wilful midconduct is so high as to never had been met for all intents & purposes.

I'm not sure about Florida specifically but prosecutors as well as the police are generally immune from any lawsuits or criminal actions intended to hold them liable. And apparently the bar for the provision that excludes acts of wilful midconduct is so high as to never had been met for all intents & purposes.
Yet another flaw that should be changed. Immediately.

As I understand it, please correct me if I am mistaken, this is a rare incidence yet still inexcusable.

As I understand it, please correct me if I am mistaken, this is a rare incidence yet still inexcusable.
Probably not as rare as we think... Especially with those who were tried, and convicted decades ago.

Let me answer your question with a question how much do you and the other self proclaimed liberals and Democrats think the victim of a crime or the victims family in case the victim was killed should get when the guilty party gets off?

I don't buy the "some dead guy confessed" story. I believe the eyewitness who they left for dead.

Both of them should have been lynched decades ago.

Wow $1 mil per year? Are you serious? Yes our system has its faults, yet the defense attorney(s) involved need to be held accountable for their incompetence, and are they not just as guilty?

You're the first one to mention that. Thank you.

According to the OP's link, “Williams and Myers said they were at a party down the street at the time of the shooting and a number of witnesses at that party corroborated their story. A review of the case shows that evidence was never brought up during the trial.” How in the hell could a defense attorney fail to call alibi witnesses? I never heard of such incompetence. That alone is sufficient to get an attorney disbarred.

There was prosecutorial misconduct as well. The men should never have been arrested based solely on the testimony of an alleged eyewitness who lied about a critical element in the case. The purported witness claimed that both men came into the bedroom and fired shots whereas more reliable forensic evidence proves the shots were fired from outside the building. Her testimony compared to the forensic evidence proves she never saw the men. There was no credible evidence of any kind to suggest these men had committed a crime and still they got convicted. I sure would love to read the trail transcripts.

Sounds like they were victims of a witch hunt, just like our President.

Funny how you only object to certain witch hunts and false accusations.

They shouldn't be. They do lie, and They should pay a heavy price.

Looks like the OP lost interest in his own thread once it became apparent that this kind of thing pisses everyone off. In other words, “not a racial issue”... Guess those who claimed OP was race baiting were right...

Forum List

Back