TV host asks atheist Stephen Fry question about God, you have to watch what happens next

You know the one I love the most? Leviticus 14:55, what to do if your house catches leprosy. Of course a house can not catch leprosy but it sure gave me a good laugh. There are parts of the OT that first time I read them had me gasping for air I was laughing so hard. Some of that stuff still cracks me up. Some stuff has transformed into something completely different however. It is like looking at an object a ways off and thinking one knows what it is. As one gets closer to it there is a shift between the first impression and actual understanding. God told me to read the OT and so I do and I try to understand it best I can. I have become wary that I do not enter a building that has caught leporsy and I think I have figured out how to trick a Jewish guy out of his ox by pushing the ox into a pit but I also have a growing awe of the Bible that surpasses anything this would could ever produce.

As far a complete mutual annihilation, my God gave us rainbows.

Sounds like mold, doesn't it, and as we know today, some molds can be dangerous, others can be easily wiped away. Where I live, if a house is put up for sale, and there are signs that a wall has experienced water damage, then the potential buyer can insist that a mold test be performed to see if there are any lingering mold cultures or contamination that could prove dangerous. However, they would probably insist on a public health inspector (rather than a priest) make the inspection.

Welcome to atheism 101. Basic stuff. If I meet God when I pass away, I would be dumbfounded. Thunderstruck...I would ask god, : So You are REAL, after all? Where were you all this time? Why did you create evil and the illusion of free will when YOU knew what was going to happen all along...? But, that isn't gonna happen kids. Death is the end, and there isn't any fiery hell or pearly gates. The afterlife is for kids. No reincarnation. Most of us know the bitter truth.

You know the one I love the most? Leviticus 14:55, what to do if your house catches leprosy. Of course a house can not catch leprosy but it sure gave me a good laugh. There are parts of the OT that first time I read them had me gasping for air I was laughing so hard. Some of that stuff still cracks me up. Some stuff has transformed into something completely different however. It is like looking at an object a ways off and thinking one knows what it is. As one gets closer to it there is a shift between the first impression and actual understanding. God told me to read the OT and so I do and I try to understand it best I can. I have become wary that I do not enter a building that has caught leporsy and I think I have figured out how to trick a Jewish guy out of his ox by pushing the ox into a pit but I also have a growing awe of the Bible that surpasses anything this would could ever produce.

As far a complete mutual annihilation, my God gave us rainbows.

Sounds like mold, doesn't it, and as we know today, some molds can be dangerous, others can be easily wiped away. Where I live, if a house is put up for sale, and there are signs that a wall has experienced water damage, then the potential buyer can insist that a mold test be performed to see if there are any lingering mold cultures or contamination that could prove dangerous. However, they would probably insist on a public health inspector (rather than a priest) make the inspection.
When you do this you are changing the Bible to fit an understanding you have. Accept the fact that God has give us instructions to get leprosy out of a house and try to get understanding from God.

Welcome to atheism 101. Basic stuff. If I meet God when I pass away, I would be dumbfounded. Thunderstruck...I would ask god, : So You are REAL, after all? Where were you all this time? Why did you create evil and the illusion of free will when YOU knew what was going to happen all along...? But, that isn't gonna happen kids. Death is the end, and there isn't any fiery hell or pearly gates. The afterlife is for kids. No reincarnation. Most of us know the bitter truth.
I will hate myself for asking, I already do but:

How do you know this bitter truth?

When you do this you are changing the Bible to fit an understanding you have. Accept the fact that God has give us instructions to get leprosy out of a house and try to get understanding from God.

Have you ever listened to Jews translate and comment on the Old Testament? The term for leprosy included more than the English designation of what leprosy is. Any skin "infection" was called leprosy, and the same term was used when it appeared an "infection" was crawling over the plaster of a dwelling place. I am thinking that since Leviticus was written in Hebrew, and because there have been so few changes in the language over the years, listening to someone who knows both Hebrew and English might serve to open ears. If I recall, Scripture also tells us to open our ears.

Have you ever listened to Jews translate and comment on the Old Testament? The term for leprosy included more than the English designation of what leprosy is. Any skin "infection" was called leprosy, and the same term was used when it appeared an "infection" was crawling over the plaster of a dwelling place. I am thinking that since Leviticus was written in Hebrew, and because there have been so few changes in the language over the years, listening to someone who knows both Hebrew and English might serve to open ears. If I recall, Scripture also tells us to open our ears.
Ah, now you done took all the fun out of that one. Seems it does make sense that way. Oh well, there are still plenty more verses that I have no idea what they mean.

Call it a well informed hunch. Like praying that your cancer ridden father will live, then going to his funeral. Or having to close the lifeless eyes of your mother because GOD couldn't bother with such trivial details. See a close friend waste away to nothing. You want to believe in a god, you do that. If that makes you feel better, I won't take that away.

Call it a well informed hunch. Like praying that your cancer ridden father will live, then going to his funeral. Or having to close the lifeless eyes of your mother because GOD couldn't bother with such trivial details. See a close friend waste away to nothing. You want to believe in a god, you do that. If that makes you feel better, I won't take that away.
Are you asking for everlasting life?

Great to watch, clear thinking

'I'd say, bone cancer in children? What's that about? How dare you?' Fry responds to a totally stunned Byrne. 'How dare you create a world in which there is such misery that is not our fault? It's not right, it's utterly, utterly evil. 'Why should I respect a capricious, mean-minded, stupid God that creates a world that is so full of injustice and pain?' Flabbergasted, Byrne sputters out: 'And you think you're going to get in?...' 'But I wouldn't want to,' Fry confirms. 'I wouldn't want to get in on his terms.' - "

It is not clear thinking. First, the creation is not the Creator. I was using a knife the other day--and cut myself. How dare the creator of that knife design it so that it cut me, that it caused me pain, etc. etc. etc.

In the same way Mr. Fry is saying, "How dare God create a body that is not superhuman!" He ignores the fact (he might say 'possibility') that, ultimately, the being is superhuman and escapes the body, just as the butterfly escapes the cocoon.

Fry does not believe in an afterlife. All he can see is the physical life of the here and now. He then transfers this to God creating a short, miserable life for some children--that they have no other, will have no other. This is not clear thinking, it is myopic because he does not--seemingly cannot--take into account the other side.

A perfect all knowing god would not create human life so that children get cancer. Whatever created the cosmos does not think humans on planet earth are special. The universe does not care. There is no god. That's all in your head. Humans are a new species on earth. God didn't care about dinosaurs or the trilobite's that ruled the planet for millions of years before the dinosaur. We've been around for not even 1 million years. And we've only been intelligent for maybe 40,000 years. We made up gods 20,000 years ago and 2000 yrs ago supposedly he visited?

Are you mad at god or do you not believe a god exists?

No , I just want proof God exists, hunches excluded... real palpable hold in your hands tally up the numbers seeing is believing facts. It's one thing to question atheists, it's another to put GOD on a silver platter for all of us to see.

Some of us do know the truth and can testify that it is far from bitter. I also suspect instead of asking God "Where were you?" you may be asking, "How could I have been so blind!?"

Please don't picture me as being reproachful of you, but rather of smiling good-naturedly.

I don't mean to be such a jerk here, all of you ask good questions. But why is it so hard to prove something that should be so basic? God's existence should be rock solid and unarguable by any rational human being. But God just isn't there, not any more than Santa Claus. The spiritual thing I understand. The supernatural is a like fantasy movie or video game character. They might be inspirational, but they just aren't tangible. God is not REAL. When she or he or they DO show up, I will be the first to apologize.

No , I just want proof God exists, hunches excluded... real palpable hold in your hands tally up the numbers seeing is believing facts. It's one thing to question atheists, it's another to put GOD on a silver platter for all of us to see.
I do not know why but for some reason God has decided to give me 'seeing is believe' evidence that he is real. Understand though has come from the Bible, KJV OT. Let's say I knew nothing of who God is. If he just showed up in a whirlwind before me I would gather all these ideas about God and a completely inaccurate picture of God would get implanted in my mind. So for me anyway, God had let me know he existed before but about a year ago he told me to start reading the KVJ of the OT. A little specific I know. From where I was then of knowing there was a God to my understanding of him now is a million miles, I might have a million more to go. So I guess what I am doing is apologizing because the truth of the matter is I have absolutely no idea how to convince you there is a God. I would have not believed anyone but God either.

Some of us do know the truth and can testify that it is far from bitter. I also suspect instead of asking God "Where were you?" you may be asking, "How could I have been so blind!?"

Please don't picture me as being reproachful of you, but rather of smiling good-naturedly.

The facts point to the very strong possibility that we made god up because humans don't like not having all the answers.

Its possible a god will reward our intelligence for not falling for fake religions.

You've been brainwashed. Probably deep down you know this and don't care because its better to be safe than sorry. Not to mention wishful thinking

I do not know why but for some reason God has decided to give me 'seeing is believe' evidence that he is real. Understand though has come from the Bible, KJV OT. Let's say I knew nothing of who God is. If he just showed up in a whirlwind before me I would gather all these ideas about God and a completely inaccurate picture of God would get implanted in my mind. So for me anyway, God had let me know he existed before but about a year ago he told me to start reading the KVJ of the OT. A little specific I know. From where I was then of knowing there was a God to my understanding of him now is a million miles, I might have a million more to go. So I guess what I am doing is apologizing because the truth of the matter is I have absolutely no idea how to convince you there is a God. I would have not believed anyone but God either.
God talked to Osama bin ladin too

Where is that stated?

I don't mean to be such a jerk here, all of you ask good questions. But why is it so hard to prove something that should be so basic? God's existence should be rock solid and unarguable by any rational human being. But God just isn't there, not any more than Santa Claus. The spiritual thing I understand. The supernatural is a like fantasy movie or video game character. They might be inspirational, but they just aren't tangible. God is not REAL. When she or he or they DO show up, I will be the first to apologize.

Bear with me, because I am told I often come at things from strange angles. What if somehow humans intrinsically know there is an unseen God. Because of this, we now have it within ourselves to make up other unseen people (Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy.) Since all of these unseen people are clearly made up, then does it necessarily follow that all unseen beings are unreal? Where did we get the idea of an unseen being? Even the animals we make up are made up of parts of other animals.

There are two problems to overcome while seeking God. The first is that we are told we can't put God to the test. We want to test to see if God is there, and therefore instantly set ourselves up to fail. We can't find God through testing. The second mistake is that we have an idea of God, and we go in search of that idea, not of God.

The Book of Kings tells the story of a prophet who wanted God to reveal Himself. He looked for God in things of might and power--and he didn't find God's revelation of Himself in those events. Instead, God revealed Himself in a tiny, whispering sound. When I first heard this account, it dawned on me--if we are made in the image and likeness of God--and God is found in a tiny whisper--then God just might be more shy than I am. No wonder He is so hard to find.

Where is that stated?

God told Joseph smith the traditional christian churches were all corrupt and to start the Mormon church too. George Washington and George bush too. Now were to believe you too?

Forum List

Back