Turning Point

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
What do you consider to have been the pivotal point in your life that has led you to where/what you are today? What was your two roads diverging in the woods? Or are you still looking for it?

Don’t say “being born.” We’ll take that as a given.

Most people have several turning points in their lives: first day in school, last day in school, first car, first good paying job, first marriage, first child, first house, first divorce, retirement......
retirementlol.jpg

What do you consider to have been the pivotal point in your life that has led you to where/what you are today? What was your two roads diverging in the woods? Or are you still looking for it?

Stopping to talk to a woman to whom I had not spoken to for over a year.

We were very good friends, worked together, she was let go from the company we worked for, I invited her over for dinner with her kid, my kid was going to be there (my girlfriend at the time was an over the road driver for Schneider). She never showed, she never called, she never called to apologize. Mutual friends kept telling me she was sorry, I should call, blah blah blah, but in my mind ot was she who should pick up the phone... One day a little more than a year later, I had some time to kill before I took my daughters to the movies so I drove by her house to see if she still lived there. She was out front working in the yard. I stopped.

She tells me now that it was then, when she saw me, that she didn't realize how much she missed me.

We've been together for 24 years now, married for 21 as of tomorrow.

Stopping to talk to a woman to whom I had not spoken to for over a year.

We were very good friends, worked together, she was let go from the company we worked for, I invited her over for dinner with her kid, my kid was going to be there (my girlfriend at the time was an over the road driver for Schneider). She never showed, she never called, she never called to apologize. Mutual friends kept telling me she was sorry, I should call, blah blah blah, but in my mind ot was she who should pick up the phone... One day a little more than a year later, I had some time to kill before I took my daughters to the movies so I drove by her house to see if she still lived there. She was out front working in the yard. I stopped.

She tells me now that it was then, when she saw me, that she didn't realize how much she missed me.

We've been together for 24 years now, married for 21 as of tomorrow.

Nice. Happy Anniversary.

Maybe some people had a turning point they didn’t recognize, or maybe some people have had many.

Quite by accident - way too long a story for here - I became a corporate turnaround guy and went on to successfully turn three of the four companies I’d been hired to fix. The fourth wasn’t a failure either. We were on plan growing sales and profits when the guy who hired me decided to end the endeavor because he’d found a suitor to buy the business instead. Which was fine by me as my contract called for a substantial payout for terminating it if the business was on a positive path toward the goals we’d established, so they had to cough up a lot of bucks.

That along with the salaries and bonuses for successfully turning the other three around allowed me to retire from the corporate life in my 40s, and all more or less because I was in the right place at the right time, part of that too long story referenced above.

When my now wife and I decided to go back to school together.

Together we were able to succeed as a team where alone it was too much.

Quite by accident - way too long a story for here - I became a corporate turnaround guy and went on to successfully turn three of the four companies I’d been hired to fix. The fourth wasn’t a failure either. We were on plan growing sales and profits when the guy who hired me decided to end the endeavor because he’d found a suitor to buy the business instead. Which was fine by me as my contract called for a substantial payout for terminating it if the business was on a positive path toward the goals we’d established, so they had to cough up a lot of bucks.

That along with the salaries and bonuses for successfully turning the other three around allowed me to retire from the corporate life in my 40s, and all more or less because I was in the right place at the right time, part of that too long story referenced above.

Retired in the 40s and then what? Long time (hopefully) to be retired.

Retired in the 40s and then what? Long time (hopefully) to be retired.
Retired from the corporate world. Not the kind to sit around and do nothing, always need to be busy doing something so subsequently started 4 small business LLCs. Sold three for nice profits and still own a part of the fourth. Would have sold it to an interested party who had access to financing and whatnot, but met a younger fellow who wanted it whom I liked a lot. But he didn’t have the money, so we structured a deal whereby he’s buying more and more of it each year out of his profits. He’s a great guy, family man, hard working and it pleases me a great deal that he’ll own it all soon and be able to provide well for the family, educate his kids, etc.

Turning point? I was suppose to have a turning point?

Well it's a little late for this kind of feed back.

When my now wife and I decided to go back to school together.

Together we were able to succeed as a team where alone it was too much.

Back to school for what? MBA?

Radiation Therapy.

Wow. Hope that went well.

Great for the wife, ok for me.

Very interesting career while it lasted. Saved lives, fought pain, have lives riding on my math skills (a few times), made a lot of money while traveling to interesting places, ect.

Prison

Whoa. That would do it.

I hope the pivot after that was a positive one.

Prison

Whoa. That would do it.

I hope the pivot after that was a positive one.
It was, unlike most I still have my freedom. You either dwell in hate or look within. Far from as easy as it sounds but well worth the effort required

Forum List

Back