Trump's EPA to nullify California's authority on vehicle emissions

No, cheering on freedom for California. :biggrin:

Explain how taking freedom from California is freedom for California?

It's taking away the freedom to restrict freedom from driving any vehicle you want to. :biggrin:

It’s what the people of the state voted for and now the federal government is coming in and saying no. What happened to your belief in the 10th amendment or does that only count when you agree with what the state is doing?

It's taking away the freedom to restrict freedom from driving any vehicle you want to. :biggrin:

It’s what the people of the state voted for and now the federal government is coming in and saying no. What happened to your belief in the 10th amendment or does that only count when you agree with what the state is doing?

That wasn't put to a vote. The Clean Air Act was signed by Reagan in 1967. It empowered the EPA to regulate air pollution from motor vehicles. To promote uniformity, the law barred states from regulating car emissions.

California has turned the corner on its smog problems

Trump wants to see California the way it was in the 60s and 70s

LA-smog.jpg

Trump's plan is devious, to say the least. The oncoming smog will thin out the herd, depriving California of half their electoral votes, ensuring a Republican-held White House for hundreds of years.

Bwwaaahaaa haa haha hahahaha ha.
Trump is a moron to deny California the right to control it sensitive environment

Thankfully, he will be gone in a year and a half

How is California's environment any more "sensitive" than any other state's? If it was so "sensitive", wouldn't the state break off and fall into the ocean, under the weight of all that poop on the sidewalk?

LA is situated in a bowl surrounded by mountains which trap the smog
See the picture above.

California has instituted tighter emissions for decades. Until Trump, it has been working

LA-smog.jpg

Trump's plan is devious, to say the least. The oncoming smog will thin out the herd, depriving California of half their electoral votes, ensuring a Republican-held White House for hundreds of years.

Trump is a moron to deny California the right to control it sensitive environment

How is California's environment any more "sensitive" than any other state's? If it was so "sensitive", wouldn't the state break off and fall into the ocean, under the weight of all that poop on the sidewalk?

See the picture above.

California has instituted tighter emissions for decades. Until Trump, it has been working

Higher emission standards, yet you can still catch E coli, salmonella, shigella, rotavirus, norovirus, hepatitis A and E, giardia, cryptosporidium, pinworms, ascariasis and tapeworms from all the crap on the sidewalks?

Sounds like a real paradise, not.

no Californian is free from the states taxes and fees.....

The state taxes and fees that they voted for?
not all the fees and taxes are voted on....some are just passed by the legislature....

LA-smog.jpg

See the picture above.

the smog has been getting worse long before trump....so i guess the great obama should take some of the blame too....

What happened to your belief in the 10th amendment or does that only count when you agree with what the state is doing?

Does the 10th Amendment cover interstate commerce?

Our President is indeed an asshole

I lived in California in the late 70s. The air was brown. Mt Baldy, a 5,000 foot mountain capped in snow was obscured from view because of the smog. My car was covered in a yellow film every few days. Buying a car in California meant buying additional emissions control

Today, that area east of LA is much cleaner. You can actually see

Trump has sold out to Capitalists

Disgusting
That air is cleaner not because of today's Democrats making outrageous rules for tomorrow.

How about that MTBE fiasco? Where California democrats passed a law based on fake science by a fake scientist. Billions of dollars lost, contaminated water, small business gas stations bankrupt.

Yep, you democrats sure know how to run things while ignoring how you shit in your own backyards.

Oops, I did not mean that literally. Given the feces problem in California I should choose my words better.
I’ll take Democrat’s view of our environmental future over Trumps

not all the fees and taxes are voted on....some are just passed by the legislature....

Who elects the legislature?
not everybody votes for those in power.....just like in the other states....

Well, life doesn't work that way, does it? We have a representative republic. We don't get to choose as individuals what taxes and fees we pay. The majority in each legislative district decides who is going to represent the whole of them and the majority of Californians have chosen overwhelmingly to be represented by legislators who constantly raise their taxes and fees, so they clearly want this, particularly when you consider that over time California is getting more Democratic despite this, not less.

My advice to you is move somewhere else, because it won't get any better there.

You got it!

Adding MTBE to Gas Was A Mistake, UC Study Says
1998-11-14 04:00:00 PDT STATE -- A major study commissioned by the state Legislature has concluded that the controversial gasoline additive MTBE was never needed to clean California's air and should be phased out gradually from the state's fuel supply.
Continued use of MTBE poses a significant risk to the state's drinking water and could worsen water shortages during drought years, says the yearlong study by the University of California.

I lived in California in the late 70s. The air was brown. Mt Baldy, a 5,000 foot mountain capped in snow was obscured from view because of the smog. My car was covered in a yellow film every few days. Buying a car in California meant buying additional emissions control

Disgusting
That air is cleaner not because of today's Democrats making outrageous rules for tomorrow.

How about that MTBE fiasco? Where California democrats passed a law based on fake science by a fake scientist. Billions of dollars lost, contaminated water, small business gas stations bankrupt.

Yep, you democrats sure know how to run things while ignoring how you shit in your own backyards.

Oops, I did not mean that literally. Given the feces problem in California I should choose my words better.
Stupid is as stupid does...

Disgusting

I live for compromise.......All electric vehicles in West Virginia and other areas will get to hook up for their recharge on energy supplied by electric plants fueled by coal!

Who elects the legislature?
not everybody votes for those in power.....just like in the other states....

Well, life doesn't work that way, does it? We have a representative republic. We don't get to choose as individuals what taxes and fees we pay. The majority in each legislative district decides who is going to represent the whole of them and the majority of Californians have chosen overwhelmingly to be represented by legislators who constantly raise their taxes and fees, so they clearly want this, particularly when you consider that over time California is getting more Democratic despite this, not less.

My advice to you is move somewhere else, because it won't get any better there.
yea no shit....i already left 4 years ago....

More winning!! :banana:

"The Trump administration will announce it is rescinding California's authority to regulate greenhouse gas emissions from automobiles at an event at the EPA's Washington headquarters on Wednesday afternoon, according to people familiar with the matter.

The Environmental Protection Agency intends to announce it will revoke the so-called waiver underpinning California's power to set vehicle greenhouse gas standards separately from the Trump administration's broader rule to ease federal vehicle-efficiency standards, which is expected in the weeks ahead, the people said."

EPA to unveil plan to take away California’s authority on car emissions
Way to waste tax dollars on a big legal fight. The lawyers are happy. Nothing like spending money to increase pollution. Genius.

More winning!!

The law giving CA the right to make its own standards was passed by Congress and signed by a president. That means the president just can't wave his hand and declare he gets to revoke the law because he doesn't like it. To change that law, Congress would have to pass another law.

Is it that you don't understand this, or is it that you adore the thought of dictatorship so much, you don't care about Constitution-rape?

But then, you are a libertarian, so it's a given that you lust for a daddy-figure to be a supposedly benevolent dictator. Libertarians think that democracy gets in the way of freedom, and they define freedom as "whatever makes me money."

Deniers in general, being authoritarian followers at their core, don't even care about the benevolent part. They just want a dictator, end of story, to get even with all the liberals who humiliated them all of their lives.

Liberals, of course, are for liberty and the Constitution, so they don't support the president-as-dictator thing.

More winning!!

The law giving CA the right to make its own standards was passed by Congress and signed by a president. That means the president just can't wave his hand and declare he gets to revoke the law because he doesn't like it. To change that law, Congress would have to pass another law.

Is it that you don't understand this, or is it that you adore the thought of dictatorship so much, you don't care about Constitution-rape?

But then, you are a libertarian, so it's a given that you lust for a daddy-figure to be a supposedly benevolent dictator. Libertarians think that democracy gets in the way of freedom, and they define freedom as "whatever makes me money."

Deniers in general, being authoritarian followers at their core, don't even care about the benevolent part. They just want a dictator, end of story, to get even with all the liberals who humiliated them all of their lives.

Liberals, of course, are for liberty and the Constitution, so they don't support the president-as-dictator thing.

How did you get the idea that I was a "libertarian"? Ron Paul is an idiot, as far as I'm concerned.

Actually I'm more of a right-wing Shia Republican and a Christian sympathizer. Not a Sunni Republican, mind you. President Trump's authority is infallible because it comes directly from God.

Do you even know what a "libertarian" is? :laughing0301:

MAKE THEM LIVE UP TO THEIR OWN BOOK OF RULES: Trump Admin Demands California Address ‘Worst Air Quality’ in U.S.: State could lose access to billions in highway funds if it fails to meet clean air standards.

EPA administrator Andrew Wheeler states that 34 million people in California are living in areas that don't meet federal air quality standards, a number twice as large as any other state in the country. It further states the plans California has submitted to the EPA, known as State Implementation Plans (SIPs), to address areas with inadequate air quality "have fundamental issues related to approvability" and must be resubmitted.

The letter informs California that if it fails to submit new plans to increase air quality, the state would be ineligible to receive billions of dollars it is otherwise projected to get from the Federal Highway Administration.

"We certainly want to avoid these statutory triggers, but our foremost concern must be ensuring clean air for all Americans," Wheeler says in the letter. "That is our goal."

The letter gives California until Oct. 10 to notify the EPA whether it plans to withdraw and resubmit the SIPs. The federal government could impose its own plan on California if it fails to get new SIPs approved. Wheeler expressed hope that California will work with the Trump administration to address its failures.

I loved seeing Trump blocking California from setting strict environmental regulations and the very next week threatening California highway funds because of high levels of air pollution

Forum List

Back