Trump's Dieselgate?: How The GOP/BigOil Powers Intend To Smash Efficient Cars Again

Silhouette

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2013
BigOil is headhunding. Trump will help them every inch of the way. Got to wonder who inspired VW in Germany to flub the emissions thing.

1. They are pushing out small diesel passenger cars that get 50-70 mpg. I strongly suspect industrial sabotage on the VW diesel small passenger imports.

Thanks to their good fuel economy, diesel cars have remained popular in Europe, where fuel is two to three times more expensive than in America, and oil refineries are optimised to produce a plentiful supply of diesel. The diesel’s efficiency stems from not having to throttle the engine to control its speed. It therefore has none of the “pumping losses” that hobble petrol engines. Add the fact that diesel fuel packs 10% more energy than gasoline, and it easy to see why diesels can be 30% more efficient than their petrol equivalents.

They have other virtues, too. Like electric motors, diesels generate oodles of low-end torque, making them quick off the mark and more relaxing to drive. Also, their sturdiness—necessitated by having to cope with much higher cylinder pressures—gives them an enviable reputation for durability. For good reason, truckers swear by diesels. Long-distance rigs can easily put in 100,000 miles (160,000km) a year, and run for a million miles or more before needing an overhaul.

Large diesel cars and luxury SUVs share many of the same virtues. But with their high sticker prices, they can absorb the cost of the additional processing needed to clean up their polluting exhausts. Bigger vehicles also have the space to install the gear that does this. By comparison, making small, lightweight diesels for family cars is a serious challenge. The sleight of hand could be pulled off in Europe—where diesel cars account for half of all new vehicles bought—only because emission standards there have been so lax.
http://www.economist.com/news/scien...ean-affordable-diesel-cars-dieselgate-dilemma

OK, "lax" emissions standards in all those very clean-air countries in Europe. Something's not adding up...

2. They are making the idea of 4wd passenger cars vogue again....that only run on gas...which are the most inefficient types of cars there are. Welcome back 15-20 mpg... again. I guess that that will result in a new profit tidal wave for BigOil is merely a coincidence...

You will see bigger cars, more clunky looking cars (the more boxy their nose looks, the worse gas mileage they get). This is what dumb America is being groomed to accept. Only you can insist that your car be streamlined and efficient.

I guess the idea that diesel fuel lends itself perfectly to being combined with bio oils where fuels can be produced cheaply using algae and other forms of biomass just doesn't sit well with BigOil. So diesel is being demonized.

If one car requires 1/3 the fuel to go the same distance as another car, whose emissions are also not good for the environment, which car should you buy? And, if one of them can use fuel at 1/3 the amount of the other and cut that fuel with a biologically-grown source, which car should you buy? Consider our involvement in the Middle East before you answer that question..

How is it that Europe (& Japan) is driving the hell out of small diesel passenger cars while maintaining their reputation for pristine clean air in their towns and countrysides? Something ain't adding up.. Once again BigOil positions itself to crush its competition.

BigOil forced owners to return their cars to be crushed & sit in piles in the desert. Here's what BigOil does to efficient competition: (pile of crushed 2000 Chevy volts after a forced recall).

after2.jpg

Those on the left associated with Hollywood should consider starting a series of shows addressing engineering differences in cars, design and types of fuel. This could be an excellent counterpunch to Trump's allegiance to BigOil and their determination to make us a 15 mpg refined gasoline country again.

Make falling into this time-worn trap of BigOil's clunker-engineering look like a supreme act of stupidity.

And guess who Trump's administration has in its sights next for industrial ridicule?

Attacks on electric cars by the oil industry are on a par with misinformation campaigns promoted by big tobacco companies and vested interests undermining climate science, according to Elon Musk, the serial entrepreneur who founded PayPal and the brains behind both the space exploration company SpaceX and the electric sports carmaker Tesla Motors. The oil giants, he reckons, are attempting to sow the seeds of doubt. Elon Musk: oil campaign against electric cars is like big tobacco lobbying

A few weeks ago the company's image took a hit when footage emerged of a Model S on fire after a piece of metal had gone under the car and made contact with the battery....
The driver escaped unharmed, but the incident led Musk to take to his blog in defence of the car, which has been billed as one of the safest ever made. "Had a conventional gasoline car encountered the same object on the highway, the result could have been far worse," he wrote.

More...

Tesla launched an assault on the entrenched auto industry by going before the California Air Resources Board (CARB) last week with data showing that the auto industry has been actively and successfully lobbying against fuel efficiency improvements that the state has been working towards for the last 20 years (h/t electrek). Specifically, Tesla’s Vice President of Business Development Diarmuid O’Connell shared that lobbying has fundamentally set the state back in achieving its air pollution reduction goals — which is essentially the charter of CARB. Similarly, and more specifically to the point of Tesla being at a CARB meeting in the first place, he argued that the same type of lobbying was taking place against zero emission vehicles (ZEVs) – including Teslas. Tesla Lining Up Broadside Attack On Auto Industry Lobbying

Note: "the (mainstream GM/etc.) auto industry" is synonymous with BigOil.

How The GOP/BigOil Powers Intend To Smash Efficient Cars Again

Eliminate CAFE standards.
If people want to buy tiny, very efficient cars, let them.
If they want to buy large useful cars and trucks, let them.

Right? The Kings of "freedom. liberty and let the market decide" are sure doing triple back flips to pin the necks of freedom and liberty to the ground when it comes to what cars you can buy in the US....odd...

That's the thing. You don't (and won't) hear any rancor about big diesels that simply cannot produce power without the torque only diesel offers. Yet their emissions are also diesel emissions, often with far less standards on emissions than passenger cars. If you can go 3 times farther on the same amount of diesel fuel as you couldn't with gasoline, how much more crap is being pumped into the atmosphere over all with less efficient gasoline cars?

I think the reason they're closing in on Tesla is because the technology for flexible photovoltaic sheets for installation on car rooftops is advancing. BigOil is shaking in its shoes. Instead of insisting we be forcibly strapped to the horse and buggy, they should be switching assets to the 21st Century. THEY should be encouraging their bed-buddies (GM) to beat Tesla to the punch on the future...the inevitable future...instead of lobbying and strong-arming car owners into having to remain slaves of their refined gasoline/less-efficient enterprising at the expense of people's monthly transportation allowances and the environment.

Plus, keeping our military in the ME to keep this BS routine going is getting way too costly. Trump take note.

Last edited:

Right? The Kings of "freedom. liberty and let the market decide" are sure doing triple back flips to pin the necks of freedom and liberty to the ground when it comes to what cars you can buy in the US....odd...

That's the thing. You don't (and won't) hear any rancor about big diesels that simply cannot produce power without the torque only diesel offers. Yet their emissions are also diesel emissions, often with far less standards on emissions than passenger cars. If you can go 3 times farther on the same amount of diesel fuel as you couldn't with gasoline, how much more crap is being pumped into the atmosphere over all with less efficient gasoline cars?

I think the reason they're closing in on Tesla is because the technology for flexible photovoltaic sheets for installation on car rooftops is advancing. BigOil is shaking in its shoes. Instead of insisting we be forcibly strapped to the horse and buggy, they should be switching assets to the 21st Century. THEY should be encouraging their bed-buddies (GM) to beat Tesla to the punch on the future...the inevitable future...instead of lobbying and strong-arming car owners into having to remain slaves of their refined gasoline/less-efficient enterprising at the expense of people's monthly transportation allowances and the environment.

Plus, keeping our military in the ME to keep this BS routine going is getting way too costly. Trump take note.

Can you say that again, in English?

I think the reason they're closing in on Tesla is because the technology for flexible photovoltaic sheets for installation on car rooftops is advancing. BigOil is shaking in its shoes.

I don't think Big Oil gives a shit about sun powered cars.

Sure. Because sun-powered cars don't pose a threat to their enterprise at all.

That's like saying "coke doesn't mind at all if pepsi gets their hands on their formula".

Who Trump picked as his Secretary of State is a direct harbinger of what he has in mind as to favors for "coke" where "pepsi" is involved...

BigOil is headhunding. Trump will help them every inch of the way. Got to wonder who inspired VW in Germany to flub the emissions thing.

1. They are pushing out small diesel passenger cars that get 50-70 mpg. I strongly suspect industrial sabotage on the VW diesel small passenger imports.

Thanks to their good fuel economy, diesel cars have remained popular in Europe, where fuel is two to three times more expensive than in America, and oil refineries are optimised to produce a plentiful supply of diesel. The diesel’s efficiency stems from not having to throttle the engine to control its speed. It therefore has none of the “pumping losses” that hobble petrol engines. Add the fact that diesel fuel packs 10% more energy than gasoline, and it easy to see why diesels can be 30% more efficient than their petrol equivalents.

They have other virtues, too. Like electric motors, diesels generate oodles of low-end torque, making them quick off the mark and more relaxing to drive. Also, their sturdiness—necessitated by having to cope with much higher cylinder pressures—gives them an enviable reputation for durability. For good reason, truckers swear by diesels. Long-distance rigs can easily put in 100,000 miles (160,000km) a year, and run for a million miles or more before needing an overhaul.

Large diesel cars and luxury SUVs share many of the same virtues. But with their high sticker prices, they can absorb the cost of the additional processing needed to clean up their polluting exhausts. Bigger vehicles also have the space to install the gear that does this. By comparison, making small, lightweight diesels for family cars is a serious challenge. The sleight of hand could be pulled off in Europe—where diesel cars account for half of all new vehicles bought—only because emission standards there have been so lax.
http://www.economist.com/news/scien...ean-affordable-diesel-cars-dieselgate-dilemma

OK, "lax" emissions standards in all those very clean-air countries in Europe. Something's not adding up...

2. They are making the idea of 4wd passenger cars vogue again....that only run on gas...which are the most inefficient types of cars there are. Welcome back 15-20 mpg... again. I guess that that will result in a new profit tidal wave for BigOil is merely a coincidence...

You will see bigger cars, more clunky looking cars (the more boxy their nose looks, the worse gas mileage they get). This is what dumb America is being groomed to accept. Only you can insist that your car be streamlined and efficient.

I guess the idea that diesel fuel lends itself perfectly to being combined with bio oils where fuels can be produced cheaply using algae and other forms of biomass just doesn't sit well with BigOil. So diesel is being demonized.

If one car requires 1/3 the fuel to go the same distance as another car, whose emissions are also not good for the environment, which car should you buy? And, if one of them can use fuel at 1/3 the amount of the other and cut that fuel with a biologically-grown source, which car should you buy? Consider our involvement in the Middle East before you answer that question..

How is it that Europe (& Japan) is driving the hell out of small diesel passenger cars while maintaining their reputation for pristine clean air in their towns and countrysides? Something ain't adding up.. Once again BigOil positions itself to crush its competition.

BigOil forced owners to return their cars to be crushed & sit in piles in the desert. Here's what BigOil does to efficient competition: (pile of crushed 2000 Chevy volts after a forced recall).

after2.jpg

Fiat Chrysler Accused of Diesel Emissions Cheating by U.S.

And all this happening on your dear leaders watch, I guess he's on the take from big oil also. LMAO

That's like saying "coke doesn't mind at all if pepsi gets their hands on their formula".

Who Trump picked as his Secretary of State is a direct harbinger of what he has in mind as to favors for "coke" where "pepsi" is involved...

A car that can't recharge at night or when it's cloudy, and depends on it's own the surface area for a charge is gonna be kinda pointless. Especially in northern latitudes.

Who Trump picked as his Secretary of State is a direct harbinger of what he has in mind

You mean we'll stop wasting money on stupid "green" energy? Excellent!

And all this happening on your dear leaders watch, I guess he's on the take from big oil also. LMAO

Not my dear leader. I can't wait to see Obumbles go.

This industrial sabotage would be great to be made to look like an Obumbles issue. That way what's really going on will go under the dems' radar...

What idiot liberals are unaware of is the "emissions" = green! issue. They think that if you saddle a car's engine down hard with smog pumps and recirculators...burning most unburned gases in the tail pipe's catalytic converter instead of the combustion region where they'd actually be used to push the car ahead (improving instead of reducing efficiency), then "it's green so it's good!". Most have no understanding whatsoever of the scam they're buying in "emissions standards!" propaganda.

Mr. Texas, wouldn't you rather line the combustion region with particulate platinum and burn fuel there instead of in the tail pipe? No? Why not?

That should be everyone's right to choose what they want to drive, if someone wants to drive something that gets 2 miles to the gallon fine if someone wants to drive some electric car that has to be plugged in every few miles and gets 100 miles to the gallon fine…

The vehicles I drive get somewhere between eight and 10 miles to the gallon which is fine with me…

That should be everyone's right to choose what they want to drive, if someone wants to drive something that gets 2 miles to the gallon fine if someone wants to drive some electric car that has to be plugged in every few miles and gets 100 miles to the gallon fine…

The vehicles I drive get somewhere between eight and 10 miles to the gallon which is fine with me…

The vehicles I drive get more like 25-30 mpg. They're big and they're diesel. My little diesel gets 50-60 mpg. And BTW, electric cars don't get plugged in "every few miles". Some have a range of over 200 miles Driving Range for the Model S Family

And if they perfect flexible solar panels for their rooftops, in sunny regions that range will be vastly extended on a reliable basis for the regular commuters.

Part of eliminating a consumer's right to choose is disinformation circulated with the insidious cause of lobbying to squeeze those types of cars out of the marketplace. Or the appointment of BigOil's Emperor Supreme as the Secretary of State....Or industrial sabotage which is what I suspect happened with VW's very popular jettas, bugs & others.

Not my dear leader. I can't wait to see Obumbles go.

This industrial sabotage would be great to be made to look like an Obumbles issue. That way what's really going on will go under the dems' radar...

What idiot liberals are unaware of is the "emissions" = green! issue. They think that if you saddle a car's engine down hard with smog pumps and recirculators...burning most unburned gases in the tail pipe's catalytic converter instead of the combustion region where they'd actually be used to push the car ahead (improving instead of reducing efficiency), then "it's green so it's good!". Most have no understanding whatsoever of the scam they're buying in "emissions standards!" propaganda.

Mr. Texas, wouldn't you rather line the combustion region with particulate platinum and burn fuel there instead of in the tail pipe? No? Why not?

It's impossible to develop any engine that burns with 100% efficiency. That means some emissions control will always be needed. That said the costs of current standards have far exceeded cost effectiveness.

The vehicles I drive get more like 25-30 mpg. They're big and they're diesel. My little diesel gets 50-60 mpg. And BTW, electric cars don't get plugged in "every few miles". Some have a range of over 200 miles Driving Range for the Model S Family

And if they perfect flexible solar panels for their rooftops, in sunny regions that range will be vastly extended on a reliable basis for the regular commuters.

Part of eliminating a consumer's right to choose is disinformation circulated with the insidious cause of lobbying to squeeze those types of cars out of the marketplace. Or the appointment of BigOil's Emperor Supreme as the Secretary of State....Or industrial sabotage which is what I suspect happened with VW's very popular jettas, bugs & others.

Part of eliminating a consumer's right to choose is disinformation circulated with the insidious cause of lobbying to squeeze those types of cars out of the marketplace.

Eliminate CAFE standards and people will buy the cars they desire.
No need to squeeze anything.

What are you afraid of? Too much freedom?

well, I have the 06 Jetta TDI, that was before the changes that were forced for "cleaner" emissions. As long as its running like new (and it still is) I will not get rid of it. Still looks new inside and out. Has almost 250,000 miles on it. Around town economy is 38 to 45 depending on stop lights etc... Highway is 54 to 61 mpg. I will admit that I got the 61mpg coming through Nebraska on highway 80 with cruise set at 70. any more than that and the mileage dropped fast. If asked overall average for highway I would guess it to be around 55 mpg.
The brand new ones supposedly dont get that now. I cant say for sure since Ive never driven the newer models. For all I know, they get more than mine.
I also have a GMC Sierra 3500 crew cab, 4 door, 8ft bed dually with the Duramax Allison combo. Around town I can get 16 to 17 mpg, highway 18 to 24. Again, the 24 was only a couple times on straight flat road and I kept the speed at 64mph. mostly I would guess the highway to be around 18.6.
when looking at the speed/economy relationship, you have to remember that Air is a solid, it has mass. Think of the air in front of the vehicle like a spring. if you push down on a spring, the first inch or so is easy to push, (vehicle compresses the air easy at low speeds because the air has more time to move out of the way) as the vehicle speeds up, its like you are still pushing that spring, it gets harder to move, same with air, the faster the vehicle goes, the more the air is compressed in front and less gets around the sides , it becomes harder to push through and uses more HP, (fuel)) to compensate for the added resistance. There is also a point that the HP/air compression factor gives the vehicle its top speed. Burning some fuel at this point, lots of fuel. just like that spring, the further down you go, or the more you compress it, the harder it is to push until it reaches a point that you are exerting all the energy you have but are no longer compressing the spring any more. the most efficient? the car designed with the least amount of "frontage" is going to have less air to compress and it will shed that air more efficiently than a car with more frontage. its all about the horse power weight ratio. say you have 400 hp, and your vehicle weighs 8000 lbs, without resistance it might take 250 hp to move the truck. now start factoring in the energy to compress the air and you might end up using 350 of that 400 HP, or lets say you add 13000lb to the 8 and it now takes 325 to move the weight, you only have 75 hp left to use for moving air. your available power to compress the air is reduced so inadvertently the top speed while towing is also reduced along with the fuel economy.

well, I have the 06 Jetta TDI... If asked overall average for highway I would guess it to be around 55 mpg.
The brand new ones supposedly dont get that now.
....its all about the horse power weight ratio. say you have 400 hp, and your vehicle weighs 8000 lbs, without resistance it might take 250 hp to move the truck. now start factoring in the energy to compress the air and you might end up using 350 of that 400 HP your available power to compress the air is reduced so inadvertently the top speed while towing is also reduced along with the fuel economy.

Yes, so if you build a boxy-shaped heavy vehicle with a gasoline engine which is underpowered for the size of the vehicle, you consume enormous amounts of fuel to push it forward. Strap it down with a bunch of unnecessary emission-controls (selling it as "green" to idiot lefties), it's even worse. Put those controls in the tailpipe's catalytic converter instead of putting particulate platinum in near the combustion area instead and you're wasting even more fuel. What lefties aren't doing the math on is how many more gallons of fuel will have to be burned to move the car between two points.

Build a streamlined jetta like VW has using diesel's high torque and power compared to weaker gasoline engines, reining in emission-control-overkill and you get 50mpg. Many jettas were using what a 1.9 liter motor and getting great power and mileage. Jettas aren't light vehicles by the way; try to push a dead one with your friends. Try running a 1.9 liter gas motor in a jetta body...lol... It might make it out of your driveway...maybe. Diesels are superior to gasoline, period. Much less fuel burned (and going into the atmosphere therefore) than the "green" "emissions controlled" gas clunker.

BigOil knows all this all too well and has for decades. That's why when clean-air Europe drives the crap out of small passenger diesel cars, you only extremely rarely see windows open, then quickly slam shut over here on opportunities to buy one. BigOil doesn't want Americans seeing their neighbors bragging at BBQs about how their jetta or bug gets 50-60 mpg highway routinely. That puts BigOil out of business. Add to that that diesel can be cut with biofuels grown from algae and other bio sources, and BigOil gets doubly scared.

Odd that "suddenly" VW has a big emissions scam. I vote that the person(s) responsible at VW were paid well in their moonlight job of saboteurs for BigOil.

Last edited:
This sort of shit may have happened 100 years ago when the general public couldn't afford automobiles but today is totally different. Consumer demand drives car production in this country. Economics 101 if the public doesn't want it the car companies ain't going to build it.

after2.jpg

No, we just like cats built out of steel and not plastic

And we like all cars to not look the same and look as ugly as a NOW member.

This sort of shit may have happened 100 years ago when the general public couldn't afford automobiles but today is totally different. Consumer demand drives car production in this country. Economics 101 if the public doesn't want it the car companies ain't going to build it.
I think that the public does want the higher mileage diesels, however the price of the engine alone can raise the sales price by 10 thousand or more depending on the vehicle in question. Just look at the price of the Jetta. When I bought mine new in 06 I could have bought the same basic care with a gasoline engine for 16k maybe 18? but the TDI I got was one of the last in the area, I actually purchased it in 07, it was sitting on the lot, had never been sold. People didnt want to pay the higher price for the diesel. the TDI was not offered in 07 because the new regulations were not met with VWs current diesel. So, mine ended up being one of the last ones in a reasonable pick up area and the dealer would not negotiate on the price. When I offered just a little lower, he said no, somebody will buy it at that price, then tried to steer me on over to the gasoline Jetta's. You know what? he was right, somebody did pay his 25k for that full loaded TDI. (even if it was dark blue, I hate dark blue on a car) I drove off the lot with it that day.
Now, 10 years later, the car still looks new inside and out, it still runs like it was new, it just passed 250,000 miles and is still getting 55+ on the highway. I think another factor in the industry not being too keen on the idea of the diesel is the very thing I just mentioned, with care, the car can be kept looking new. and with proper maintenance the drive train should last the average driver up to 500,000 miles. For me, thats 20 years.
Same with my Duelly, compared to the price of the same vehicle with a gasoline engine, I paid a bent over in the prison shower price for it. But, I bought the truck about 3 weeks the jetta, It is now at 240,000 miles, still looks new both inside and out except for a ripped seam in the drivers seat and the start of rust on the bottom of the tailgate. (Ive already purchased a new tailgate I just need to get it put on and the paint matched) So far other than the maintenance I have had to install an alternator, two glow plugs and the oil filter head along with fuel heater. less than 600 in parts and I did the labor. Not bad for ten years of service. I just put on brakes, I did the labor again but everything is new, rotors, calipers, pads, lines. I just as in two days ago replaced the front wheel hubs (one failed) carrier bearing and all U-Joints. I dont foresee any major issues for a time now. Like the Jetta, it runs like new still, on the 26th I will be pulling a cabin style boat (9000lbs) from Annapolis to Tampa Florida. Had I bought the gasoline engine, I doubt that I would still be towing long distance with it, if it was even still running at this point. Most of the miles on the truck have been highway towing my 38ft travel trailer, roughly 13,000lbs.
I personally do not see myself buying a gasoline engine vehicle again, unless its something like a corvette. I paid cash for both the Jetta and the Truck so to be honest, I dont even know what it would be like to have a car payment, I have not had one in over 16 years.
I did look recently at replacing the Truck, I really like the new ones now, but after setting the new one up with all the same things mine has now, (including the TV in the ceiling) the price came out to 69,000, considering mine will last another 10 years with care, I decided that I still like mine better than I do the new ones. ( no prison showers for me )
As long as diesel is an option, I personally will never drive anything other than a vehicle powered by the diesel.

Forum List

Back