Trump’s “Bomb Trains” coming to a neighborhood near you!

And the railroad tracks in DC are probably less than a mile or two from the Capitol Building.

Virginia Avenue Tunnel - Wikipedia

Most of this rail traffic will probably be from the Upper Midwest to Southern Ports, like New Orleans or Galveston,

I doubt DC will see many of these things. Over a certain distance it probably becomes cheaper to rail it to New Orleans, transfer it to a ship, then ship it to the East Coast.

How dangerous is it to transport liquefied natural gas by rail tank cars?
Very.

"It would only take 22 tank cars to hold the equivalent energy of the Hiroshima bomb. A train of 110 tank cars filled with liquefied natural gas would have five times the energy of the Hiroshima bomb."

A new Trump administration rule relaxing guidelines that govern the transport of liquefied natural gas could create “bomb trains” with enough explosive power to level whole cities, environmental groups say. A coalition of organizations led by the nonprofit Earthjustice has sued the administration, challenging the rule, which is scheduled to go into effect on Monday.

Separately, fourteen states and the District of Columbia are also suing the Trump administration to review the rule and declare it unlawful. The National Transportation Safety Board and the National Association of State Fire Marshals oppose it as well.

Under the new rule, trains would be allowed to transport up to 30,000 gallons of liquified natural gas (LNG) per tank, significantly more than has ever been allowed in the U.S., and there will be no restrictions on the number of LNG tanker cars in a particular train, nor on the routes these trains may travel, so they will be free to pass through dense population centers.

......But shifting LNG transport to the railways could be a catastrophe, the lawsuits assert. “There’s a very good reason liquefied natural gas has never been shipped by rail in this country, and that’s because it’s wildly unsafe,” said Joseph Otis Minott, executive director of the Clean Air Council, which joined the lawsuit with Earthjustice. “I don’t want these dangerous trains going through my neighborhood, and trust me, you don’t either.”

You think this can only happen in Beirut:

Not if the Orange Idiot has his way.

Just wow.. the level of bull shit is massive from you...

1. The explosion in your post was a compressed Ammonium Nitrate explosion. It has the explosive capabilities of 10 times that of natural gas that has been liquefied.

2. We have millions of tank cars that carry Liquid Petrolatum Gas with very few issues because of thier venting systems and their build. An LPG tank car can be dropped from 120 feet and it will not burst.

We use there systems for very explosive materials to include rocket fuel. Your hyperbole and lie about the explosive nature of NG is pathetic and a lie.

What a dishonest POS this OP post is...

Lol...coming From a hack whose science is all colored by his ideology. Run on, little boy.

I base my opinions on the findings of real scientists.

You wouldnt know science even if it slapped you up the side of the damn head. You ideology and dishonesty is very evident... Why did you lie about the explosion? Why do you lie about Tank Car design andd the safety record since 1980? its all bull shit all the time from you liberal fools...

Very.

"It would only take 22 tank cars to hold the equivalent energy of the Hiroshima bomb. A train of 110 tank cars filled with liquefied natural gas would have five times the energy of the Hiroshima bomb."

:auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg:

Earth Justice Bull Shit...

Left wing bull shit... do you have any clue how these tanks are designed? Do you know they can withstand tanks blowing up right beside them? Obviously you dont have a fcuking clue....

A new Trump administration rule relaxing guidelines that govern the transport of liquefied natural gas could create “bomb trains” with enough explosive power to level whole cities, environmental groups say. A coalition of organizations led by the nonprofit Earthjustice has sued the administration, challenging the rule, which is scheduled to go into effect on Monday.

Separately, fourteen states and the District of Columbia are also suing the Trump administration to review the rule and declare it unlawful. The National Transportation Safety Board and the National Association of State Fire Marshals oppose it as well.

Under the new rule, trains would be allowed to transport up to 30,000 gallons of liquified natural gas (LNG) per tank, significantly more than has ever been allowed in the U.S., and there will be no restrictions on the number of LNG tanker cars in a particular train, nor on the routes these trains may travel, so they will be free to pass through dense population centers.

......But shifting LNG transport to the railways could be a catastrophe, the lawsuits assert. “There’s a very good reason liquefied natural gas has never been shipped by rail in this country, and that’s because it’s wildly unsafe,” said Joseph Otis Minott, executive director of the Clean Air Council, which joined the lawsuit with Earthjustice. “I don’t want these dangerous trains going through my neighborhood, and trust me, you don’t either.”

1. The explosion in your post was a compressed Ammonium Nitrate explosion. It has the explosive capabilities of 10 times that of natural gas that has been liquefied.

2. We have millions of tank cars that carry Liquid Petrolatum Gas with very few issues because of thier venting systems and their build. An LPG tank car can be dropped from 120 feet and it will not burst.

We use there systems for very explosive materials to include rocket fuel. Your hyperbole and lie about the explosive nature of NG is pathetic and a lie.

Lol...coming From a hack whose science is all colored by his ideology. Run on, little boy.

You wouldnt know science even if it slapped you up the side of the damn head. You ideology and dishonesty is very evident... Why did you lie about the explosion? Why do you lie about Tank Car design andd the safety record since 1980? its all bull shit all the time from you liberal fools...

Please....there are plenty of sources I have linked to; plenty of sources others have linked to, that show the danger of transporting LNG by rail. Nah, I have I judged the credibility of my sources and your ”science” and you just don’t cut it.

According to the Maryland Attorney General, the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) itself predicts that the LNG by Rail rule will introduce unit trains comprised of 80-100 tank cars, with each tank car carrying over 30,000 gallons of LNG, to our nationwide rail network.

LNG is an extremely hazardous substance that must be stored below -260°F to maintain its liquid state. When exposed to atmospheric conditions, a liquid LNG pool will quickly volatize into natural gas, creating a super cold cloud of odorless, flammable, and potentially explosive gas. If ignited the ensuing gas cloud will burn back to its liquid source creating an inextinguishable pool or jet fire. Gas clouds have also been observed to travel far downwind from their release point, bringing the risk of explosion to unsuspecting communities.

Yeah..nothing to worry about there. :uhoh3:

Last edited:
Very.

:auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg:

Earth Justice Bull Shit...

Left wing bull shit... do you have any clue how these tanks are designed? Do you know they can withstand tanks blowing up right beside them? Obviously you dont have a fcuking clue....
And you the expert? Hmmm. Any idea how much the load can be insured for?

For all of the left wing idiots that are totally clueless about rail car safety.

The venting systems on these cars burn off the fuel they expel. IF one of these tanks derails and the car systems identify that it is damaged the car vents the gas through a burner. It takes roughly 9 hours for the car to empty. IF the car is beside another that is on fire the venting system will burn it off at a much faster rate ( you could see a fifty foot flame going straight up). LPG cars use these systems because their gas is heavier than air and will collect in low lying areas. The potential of these tanks blowing up is near Zero because they never reach the BLEVE limit. (Boiling Liquid Extreme Violent Explosion).

These cars are insulated and have redundant containers (tank within a tank). A lot has changed since the 1970's when these tanks had very real issues. Today the chance these cars will be damaged or broken is very low.

Please....there are plenty of sources I have linked to; plenty of sources others have linked to, that show the danger of transporting LNG by rail. Nah, I have I judged the credibility of my sources and your ”science” and you just don’t cut it.

According to the Maryland Attorney General, the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) itself predicts that the LNG by Rail rule will introduce unit trains comprised of 80-100 tank cars, with each tank car carrying over 30,000 gallons of LNG, to our nationwide rail network.

I have a physics degree and your full of shit. Enjoy your ignorance...Trumps relaxed rules allow only updated tank designs to carry NG..

For all of the left wing idiots that are totally clueless about rail car safety.

The venting systems on these cars burn off the fuel they expel. IF one of these tanks derails and the car systems identify that it is damaged the car vents the gas through a burner. It takes roughly 9 hours for the car to empty. IF the car is beside another that is on fire the venting system will burn it off at a much faster rate ( you could see a fifty foot flame going straight up). LPG cars use these systems because their gas is heavier than air and will collect in low lying areas. The potential of these tanks blowing up is near Zero because they never reach the BLEVE limit. (Boiling Liquid Extreme Violent Explosion).

These cars are insulated and have redundant containers (tank within a tank). A lot has changed since the 1970's when these tanks had very real issues. Today the chance these cars will be damaged or broken is very low.

It gets really bad. Tragic. What happens when the rail cars are next to petrol and chemical tanks when a problem occurs or when derailment through a town or city...

Unexpected Explosions

BLEVE stands for Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion. A BLEVE occurs when equipment malfunctions, allowing heat into the LNG container. As the LNG heats up it vaporizes and becomes gas—and 600 times bigger. If this process continues, the volume of the tank can no longer hold the gas. The pressurized LNG explodes, creating a blast wave that destroys the container, turning it into shrapnel in the air. The spilled LNG pools in vapor clouds as it continues to evaporate. These vapor clouds can ignite and catch on fire upon contact with an ignition source. A 2013 BLEVE caused by a crude oil train derailment in the heart of a town in Quebec, Canada, tragically killed 47 people.

https://www.pennfuture.org/Blog-Item-LNG-in-PA-Blog-2-Bomb-Trains-Through-Pennsylvania

1597977004780.png

I have a physics degree and your full of shit. Enjoy your ignorance...Trumps relaxed rules allow only updated tank designs to carry NG..

LNG transport under special permits has been operational in Florida and Alaska since 2016 and included some safety measures like transport in special United Nations portable tanks, 40 mph maximum speeds, special training for personnel in loading and unloading LNG, 10 car limits per train, and one trip per day. But the results of these pilot programs are not published. Even after going through a Freedom of Information Act request, members of the public were given almost entirely redacted records of the program’s risk assessment.

PHMSA points to a safe record of the pilot program in support nationwide LNG trains, without transparent data to back it up. And the new rule sets up a whole new playing field: it looks nothing like the test run. None of the safety measures listed made it into the new rule, and it uses untested model DOT-113 tank cars, rather than tested the UN portable tanks.

1597977993977.png

A UN tank above.

"Whining Billy Bob" never fails to crack me up :auiqs.jpg:

Who's going issue insurance? Oh, we'll just worry about that later.. Like we did with nukes.. Yeah,.. that'll work..

• Thanks
Reactions: JLW

It gets really bad. Tragic. What happens when the rail cars are next to petrol and chemical tanks when a problem occurs or when derailment through a town or city...

Unexpected Explosions

BLEVE stands for Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion. A BLEVE occurs when equipment malfunctions, allowing heat into the LNG container. As the LNG heats up it vaporizes and becomes gas—and 600 times bigger. If this process continues, the volume of the tank can no longer hold the gas. The pressurized LNG explodes, creating a blast wave that destroys the container, turning it into shrapnel in the air. The spilled LNG pools in vapor clouds as it continues to evaporate. These vapor clouds can ignite and catch on fire upon contact with an ignition source. A 2013 BLEVE caused by a crude oil train derailment in the heart of a town in Quebec, Canada, tragically killed 47 people.

https://www.pennfuture.org/Blog-Item-LNG-in-PA-Blog-2-Bomb-Trains-Through-Pennsylvania
What would happen if Joe Biden woke up one day and realized he had a brain, but it has been dead since 2008?

"Whining Billy Bob" never fails to crack me up :auiqs.jpg:

Who's going issue insurance? Oh, we'll just worry about that later.. Like we did with nukes.. Yeah,.. that'll work..
Insurance is only up to the value of the contents. Who does that protect in case of an accident?

Had to dig up that picture from 50 years ago? Progs have no honor, no integrity and especially no morals.
Hard to imagine that old pic was just an old oil fire. Whats your f'n problem? Reality.
50 years ago, our technology and safety procedures were very archaic, while today we have so many safety features, but that would take intelligence to see it......Do you ever use that grey matter in that thick skull of yours to not "I HATE TRUMP" think?

Pure "what if" and speculation. :th_smiley_emoticons_gaehn:

Forum List

Back