Trump vows massive new tariffs if elected, risking global economic war

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2023/08/22/trump-trade-tariffs/

The former president has floated a 10 percent tax on all foreign imports, calling for a “ring around the collar” of the U.S. economy. Economists of both parties say the proposal is extremely dangerous

Suggesting that the use of "ring around the collar" in this context is so idiotic as to beggar the imagination may be indisputable, but as the objective truth triggers unusual reactions in some, I won't. I will only remind people of the judgement of Donald Trump's Chief Economic Advisor

Bombs Away: Trump Has the I.Q. of an Inbred Tanning Bed, Says a Liberated Gary Cohn

I will focus instead on the "substance" of the proposal.

This is a universally accepted prescription for a world wide depression, as anyone even vaguely familiar with US economic history can confirm.

I cannot conceive of the "international man of business" and Wharton grad who could be unfamiliar with it.

Donald Trump need look no further than his own misguided crusade - which ended with him begging the Chinese for quarter - after it ravaged farmers across the midwest, triggering a spike in suicides.

These are the Wages of a Life spent refusing to read, while fussing with your hair.
This great thing about trump, is we saw massive economic success before the Chinese virus. We know the results…there was no global economic war…we also know what xiden’s policies have brought…global inflation, and a record number of American’s worse off

The former president has floated a 10 percent tax on all foreign imports, calling for a “ring around the collar” of the U.S. economy. Economists of both parties say the proposal is extremely dangerous

Suggesting that the use of "ring around the collar" in this context is so idiotic as to beggar the imagination may be indisputable, but as the objective truth triggers unusual reactions in some, I won't. I will only remind people of the judgement of Donald Trump's Chief Economic Advisor

Bombs Away: Trump Has the I.Q. of an Inbred Tanning Bed, Says a Liberated Gary Cohn

This is a universally accepted prescription for a world wide depression, as anyone even vaguely familiar with US economic history can confirm.

I cannot conceive of the "international man of business" and Wharton grad who could be unfamiliar with it.

Donald Trump need look no further than his own misguided crusade - which ended with him begging the Chinese for quarter - after it ravaged farmers across the midwest, triggering a spike in suicides.

These are the Wages of a Life spent refusing to read, while fussing with your hair.
Somehow, you left this out of your post.
Allow me to assist you.
Date of your article...SEPTEMBER 10, 2018
Nuff said!

Thus, your entire supporting article is goofy.

This great thing about trump, is we saw massive economic success before the Chinese virus. We know the results…there was no global economic war…we also know what xiden’s policies have brought…global inflation, and a record number of American’s worse off
This great thing about trump, is we saw massive economic success
Post the measures.

So basically a 10% MFN tariff, with exceptions for those countries that bribe him, er meet his personal sole personal criteria.
I see you are describing President Biden.

2023%2008%2009%20Bidens%2021%20Milion%20in%20bribes-X3.jpg

Somehow, you left this out of your post.
Allow me to assist you.
Date of your article...SEPTEMBER 10, 2018
Nuff said!

Thus, your entire supporting article is goofy.
Updated August 22, 2023 at 2:00 p.m. EDT|Published August 22, 2023 at 11:31 a.m. EDT

I do not think Trump himself fully intended to destroy his own country. Obviously, he is not stupid enough to make his own businesses in America collapse! lol. :)

Here are pros and cons of tariffs...

Pros of Tariffs:

1. Protect domestic industries: Tariffs can protect domestic industries from foreign competition by increasing the cost of imported goods. This can help domestic businesses remain competitive and preserve jobs within the country.

2. Promote economic growth: Tariffs can be used strategically to promote economic growth by encouraging domestic production and consumption. By providing a level playing field for domestic businesses, tariffs can stimulate investment and innovation, leading to the development of new industries and increased economic activity.

3. Generate government revenue: Tariffs can generate revenue for the government, particularly if they are levied on a large scale. This additional revenue can be used to fund public services, infrastructure development, or reduce budget deficits.

4. National security concerns: Tariffs can be employed to protect industries deemed critical for national security. By reducing dependence on foreign suppliers for essential goods, countries can ensure the availability and reliability of essential products in times of crisis or conflict.

Cons of Tariffs:

1. Cost to consumers: Tariffs increase the cost of imported goods for consumers, which can lead to higher prices and reduced purchasing power. This may disproportionately affect low-income households who spend a larger portion of their income on basic necessities.

2. Trade retaliation: When a country imposes tariffs, it may provoke retaliatory actions from other nations. This can lead to a trade war, with each country escalating tariffs on each other's goods. Trade wars can result in decreased exports, reduced economic growth, and overall global economic instability.

3. Inefficient allocation of resources: Tariffs can distort market forces by protecting inefficient industries that would otherwise struggle to compete on a global scale. This could lead to a misallocation of resources, as valuable resources are used inefficiently in protected industries, potentially hindering overall economic efficiency.

4. Negative impact on international relations: Tariffs can strain diplomatic relations between countries. The imposition of tariffs can lead to trade disputes and tensions between trading partners, damaging long-term relationships and hindering international cooperation.

It is crucial to understand that the pros and cons of tariffs depend on various factors, such as the specific industry, country, and economic context. The effects can vary and should be carefully considered before implementing tariffs.

Please show us the exploding inflation due to President imposing tariffs on goods from foreign countries.

2022-06-12%20Misery%20Index-L.jpg
How about this...

Several studies have examined the cost of the Section 301 tariffs on the U.S. economy. For example, economists Mary Amiti, Stephen J. Redding, and David Weinstein showed that by the end of the first year that the tariffs were in place, U.S. real income declined by $1.4 billion per month. More recently, trade analysts Tori Smith and Tom Lee from the American Action Forum found that U.S. consumers largely bore the brunt of the tariffs, paying a total of $48 billion—with half of this figure paid by U.S. firms that rely on intermediate inputs from China

The Cost of Trump’s Trade War with China Is Still Adding Up

Nod.

Thank me.

Meanwhile Biden has ever closer to an actual World War, you retard

The comments submitted to the USTR should then come as no surprise: many firms listed how the tariffs have led to a decrease in wages and employment, as well as less investment in domestic research and development (R&D). Firms have also noted the difficulty in sourcing alternative inputs, the added challenges posed by retaliatory tariffs from China, and the lack of concrete change to China’s behavior since the tariffs’ implementation. The costs are varied but significant.

While many respondents acknowledged that COVID-19 and high inflation contributed to layoffs, lower wages, and fewer hirings, tariffs were identified as an important factor in firms’ decisions to reduce their workforces. Some companies even pointed directly to the Section 301 duties as being the driving force behind such measures.

Isn't THAT special?

The comments submitted to the USTR should then come as no surprise: many firms listed how the tariffs have led to a decrease in wages and employment, as well as less investment in domestic research and development (R&D). Firms have also noted the difficulty in sourcing alternative inputs, the added challenges posed by retaliatory tariffs from China, and the lack of concrete change to China’s behavior since the tariffs’ implementation. The costs are varied but significant.

While many respondents acknowledged that COVID-19 and high inflation contributed to layoffs, lower wages, and fewer hirings, tariffs were identified as an important factor in firms’ decisions to reduce their workforces. Some companies even pointed directly to the Section 301 duties as being the driving force behind such measures.

Isn't THAT special?
So let me get this straight…after Covid and after xidenflation, some business acknowledged tariffs also were a factor? Gotcha

Haha

Forum List

Back