Trump should shut the stock market down

Trump should either shut it down or stop dithering and blaming D governors.

18,607.26 −566.72 (2.96%)
Mar 23, 2:07 PM EDT

Hopefully most of you diversified when Donnie tanked the DJIA 3,000 points when he started his stupid trade war.

I feel terrible for those who've lost over 30% of their net worth and are close to retirement.

Unless some miracle happens there’s a lot of frightening news in terms of human casualties and economic data on the horizon. IRAs and 401ks are going to get wiped out. We shut the market down during the Spanish flu. Our country’s reputation won’t be hurt if we have a hiatus from trading. We’ve done it before and we should do it now.

Keep in mind if they do that people who need to take money out of the market (to survive, or for whatever) won't be able to do so. So while it might seem like a good idea just to keep the market from going down, that's a ton of liquidity that you are sidelining that people might need.
It’s a good point, however I would shut them down anyway. Mr. and Mrs. Jones that rely on the stock market for their retirement will be forced to watch their savings dwindle to next to nothing if we don’t.

Temporarily shutting down the market doesn't prevent a decline in stock prices.

Why would it not? In these times the market is not an efficient tool in reflecting valuations because of panic. Once the panic subsides then the market becomes more efficient. Bush shut the market down after 9/11 for that precise reason. I’m not suggesting companies aren’t hurting and the economy is strong, obviously that’s not true, but fear is also a part of the sell of. We’re likely headed for prolonged period of fearfulness. I expect them in the very least to eliminate short selling like they did on banks during the banking crisis. The market is down over 30% and the shit hasn’t even begun to hit the fan.

Why would it not?

People will stop trying to sell, just because the NYSE is closed? Why?
Panic will end? Why?

In these times the market is not an efficient tool in reflecting valuations because of panic.

You can't end panic by suppressing it.

shut down all forms of stock trading, including cross trading. That is implementable. You can’t suppress the panic, but you can suppress panic moves. That way when the dust settles peoples portfolios are in better shape.

So what happens if somebody needs to sell their stock to pay for a personal emergency? What happens if they want to transfer their money to a stock that's likely to move like something in the medical field?

I never said there weren’t negative consequences to it. For me personally, I’m in cash now and conservative assets. The market plummeting further won’t hurt me. I’m thinking of those poor people set to retire soon who won’t have anything because of this.

Temporarily closing the markets won't help poor, soon to retire people.

Unless some miracle happens there’s a lot of frightening news in terms of human casualties and economic data on the horizon. IRAs and 401ks are going to get wiped out. We shut the market down during the Spanish flu. Our country’s reputation won’t be hurt if we have a hiatus from trading. We’ve done it before and we should do it now.

Keep in mind if they do that people who need to take money out of the market (to survive, or for whatever) won't be able to do so. So while it might seem like a good idea just to keep the market from going down, that's a ton of liquidity that you are sidelining that people might need.
It’s a good point, however I would shut them down anyway. Mr. and Mrs. Jones that rely on the stock market for their retirement will be forced to watch their savings dwindle to next to nothing if we don’t.

Why would it not? In these times the market is not an efficient tool in reflecting valuations because of panic. Once the panic subsides then the market becomes more efficient. Bush shut the market down after 9/11 for that precise reason. I’m not suggesting companies aren’t hurting and the economy is strong, obviously that’s not true, but fear is also a part of the sell of. We’re likely headed for prolonged period of fearfulness. I expect them in the very least to eliminate short selling like they did on banks during the banking crisis. The market is down over 30% and the shit hasn’t even begun to hit the fan.
Well why don't you just sell your stock, get out and let everyone else have their own way? As for me I'll do nothing at all and stick it out. What goes down will go right back up.

Why would it not?

Panic will end? Why?

In these times the market is not an efficient tool in reflecting valuations because of panic.

shut down all forms of stock trading, including cross trading. That is implementable. You can’t suppress the panic, but you can suppress panic moves. That way when the dust settles peoples portfolios are in better shape.

So what happens if somebody needs to sell their stock to pay for a personal emergency? What happens if they want to transfer their money to a stock that's likely to move like something in the medical field?

I never said there weren’t negative consequences to it. For me personally, I’m in cash now and conservative assets. The market plummeting further won’t hurt me. I’m thinking of those poor people set to retire soon who won’t have anything because of this.

That's like saying freeze savings and checking accounts so the banks don't crash. It's not the governments place to freeze your money against your will. The market will bounce up, and it will go back down. This is going to happen for some time.

Think of it this way: If the government announced it's considering a freeze on the market, what do you suppose would actually happen to the market with everybody pulling their money out all at once?

No way should they shut down the markets. What if you needed to sell stocks to raise cash to live? Nothing worse then seeing the market go down then to be locked out when you need it the most.

And what if it keeps dumping a thousand points a day, things keep getting worse and the DJIA dwindles to 5,000 or less. Lotta good selling stocks would do then. Nobody should have all their eggs in stocks anyway. PARTICULARLY those close to retirement.

Well why don't you just sell your stock, get out and let everyone else have their own way? As for me I'll do nothing at all and stick it out. What goes down will go right back up.

Exactly. I don't manage my own IRA, I have a company do that for me. I trust them handling my money more than I do government. They've been doing a bang-up job for me so far.

Why would it not?

Panic will end? Why?

That's like saying freeze savings and checking accounts so the banks don't crash. It's not the governments place to freeze your money against your will. The market will bounce up, and it will go back down. This is going to happen for some time.

Think of it this way: If the government announced it's considering a freeze on the market, what do you suppose would actually happen to the market with everybody pulling their money out all at once?

Lot of people are pulling their money out all at once ALREADY.

Why would it not?

Panic will end? Why?

Lot of people are pulling their money out all at once ALREADY.

Many people are, but not everybody. That's what would happen if the government told investors they were going to close down the market. People would sell knowing they can get back in later on, and still have access to their own money.

Hopefully most of you diversified when Donnie tanked the DJIA 3,000 points when he started his stupid trade war.

I feel terrible for those who've lost over 30% of their net worth and are close to retirement.

Democrats are trying to add pork to the bill...Democrats LOVE more government dependency and they are trying to use this crisis as the impetus to get more.

Trump did nothing to tank the market. Quite the opposite.

Democrats are trying to add pork to the bill...Democrats LOVE more government dependency and they are trying to use this crisis as the impetus to get more.

No they are not trying to add pork. The non-starter is the half a TRILLION that Dithering Donnie and his creepy Munchkin sidekick want as an unaccountable slush fund where THEY make decisions on which of their corporate buddies to bail out.

FUCK THAT

Why would it not?

Panic will end? Why?

so why has it been done numerous times in the past under other crises?

Why would it not?

Panic will end? Why?

so why has it been done numerous times in the past under other crises?

If it was done for more than a few days, it was a bad idea then as well.

You can't reduce selling pressure by outlawing selling.

No they are not trying to add pork. The non-starter is the half a TRILLION that Dithering Donnie and his creepy Munchkin sidekick want as an unaccountable slush fund where THEY make decisions on which of their corporate buddies to bail out.

FUCK THAT

Yeah, God only knows we don't want to save businesses and corporations who employ people. The Democratic list of crap continues to grow including green energy crap. We all know it, except you lemmings.

Totally agree. I started saying that over a week ago. Given the unfounded panic, there's no sense in causing people to lose huge chunks of their 401Ks by keeping the stock market open.

FUCK THAT

Yeah, God only knows we don't want to save businesses and corporations who employ people. The Democratic list of crap continues to grow including green energy crap. We all know it, except you lemmings.

Guess what happened in MANY cases under TARP? - If you guessed stock buybacks to boost value for investors, YOU WIN!!

Forum List

Back