Trump Is What Happens When A Political Party Abandons Ideas

It's true that Trump is what happens when a political party abandons ideas but the party in question wasn't the GOP. Democrats lost almost every important election in the last eight years and they are still playing by an old 60's playbook where they think propaganda and wishful thinking can win elections in the age of information. Democrats never bothered with fly over country because they thought the rubes weren't as smart as metrosexuals. Democrats thought Florida was a given because there were so many Hispanics but the Hispanics voted for Trump. Democrats depended on skewed and fraudulent polls and fake news because they thought they were smarter than the average voter and they ignored facts relating to Hillary. Now the democrat party is eating it's own by blaming Nancy Pelosi for the crushing defeat in the special election in Georgia and the MSM is kind of backing away from the Trump/Russia connection because Americans know it's a sham. The sad news for liberals is that the democrat party is on the verge of collapse because they are plumb out of ideas and agenda and the only thing they have left is hatred.
What is killing our party are the candidates we put up to run.....plain and simple. Keep in mind, please the elections that we've lost lately, all safe gerrymandered white GOP districts and anyone on the outside looking in would find these loss'es very impressive......all close!! Now could a GOP candidate do that is a liberal district? Fuck no!!

This is exactly right. I've been saying for years the Republican party was hijacked by hypocrites, liars, bigots, retards, and psychopaths. And the pseudocons demonstrate on a daily basis a total unfamiliarity with conservative principles.

The GOP abandoned conservatism when Bush took office. They have only been paying lip service to republican and conservative ideals for some time. Trump saw this weakness and exploited it to his maximum personal benefit. He is a natural born huckster whose bread and butter is bloviation and lip service.

Trump is a very pro-choice, cut-and-run-from-Iraq, impeach Bush, friend of the Clintons, massive donor to Democrats and liberal causes, who wants single payer healthcare and an Assault Weapons Ban imposed on us.

There were at least four actual Republican conservatives from which to choose, and the incredibly hateful and stupid tards chose the fake.

I don't blame Trump for destroying the Republican and conservative brands. The pseudocons have done that, at the bidding of their pseudocon propagandists who have been diligently and deliberately dumbing them down for two decades.

Trump is dumber than a banana, but he has one talent. He is a natural born huckster. He saw how the pseudocons had rotted the GOP from within and he just stepped into the golden opportunity. He changed his registration from Democrat, became the head birther, and then began talking like a bigoted racist.

You see, both times Obama won the election, the pseudocons claimed we lost because we hadn't nominated a conservative.

By rejecting the four conservatives this time around, they proved what they really wanted all along was a bigoted racist. As a huckster, Trump saw that and stepped into the role.

For all Trump's bluster, shooting his mouth off, Tweeting, etc I've never seen anything to make me believe he's a racist.

Trump won for a majority of reasons, you loons ran a miserable candidate. People are sick and tired of the left's political correct BS, the illegal immigration issues, the refugee problems, looming SCOTUS appointments, Obama's miserable foreign policy and scandal after scandal that was ignored during Obama's two terms.

Top all that off with Clinton running a miserable campaign and alienating voters with her snobbish and holier than art thou attitude and it's easy to see why Trump won.

But forget all that, you butthurt sore losers are still running on the Russian BS.

It's true that Trump is what happens when a political party abandons ideas but the party in question wasn't the GOP. Democrats lost almost every important election in the last eight years and they are still playing by an old 60's playbook where they think propaganda and wishful thinking can win elections in the age of information. Democrats never bothered with fly over country because they thought the rubes weren't as smart as metrosexuals. Democrats thought Florida was a given because there were so many Hispanics but the Hispanics voted for Trump. Democrats depended on skewed and fraudulent polls and fake news because they thought they were smarter than the average voter and they ignored facts relating to Hillary. Now the democrat party is eating it's own by blaming Nancy Pelosi for the crushing defeat in the special election in Georgia and the MSM is kind of backing away from the Trump/Russia connection because Americans know it's a sham. The sad news for liberals is that the democrat party is on the verge of collapse because they are plumb out of ideas and agenda and the only thing they have left is hatred.
What is killing our party are the candidates we put up to run.....plain and simple. Keep in mind, please the elections that we've lost lately, all safe gerrymandered white GOP districts and anyone on the outside looking in would find these loss'es very impressive......all close!! Now could a GOP candidate do that is a liberal district? Fuck no!!

They could if they got the right message across, but the left drilled it into their brains that the cops are the enemy, rich people who provide jobs are their enemy, only the government can save them from their self's

Got to remember Regan got a landslide and took everything except Minnesota.

This entire article is must read for all adults in the United States, and elsehwere as well. It clearly describes where we're at and how we got here.

From the article:

"With hindsight, it’s no surprise that the glorification of anti-elitism and anti-intellectualism that has been rampant on the right at least since the election of Barack Obama would give rise to someone like Trump. Anyone who ever read Sinclair Lewis’ “It Can’t Happen Here,” which imagined a fascist dictator taking power in 1930s America, recognizes that Trump is the real-life embodiment of Senator Buzz Windrip—a know-nothing populist who becomes president by promising something for everyone, with no clue or concern for how to actually accomplish it. Windrip was “vulgar, almost illiterate, a public liar easily detected, and in his ‘ideas’ almost idiotic,” Lewis wrote. “Certainly there was nothing exhilarating in the actual words of his speeches, nor anything convincing in his philosophy. His political platforms were only the wings of a windmill.”

--------

"The implementation of long-term, successful policy change cannot be short-circuited, it must be built on a solid foundation of thinking, analysis and research by smart, well-educated people. Listening to the common man rant about things he knows nothing about is a dead-end that leads to Trump and failure because there is no “there” there, just mindless rhetoric and frustration.

Having so badly miscalled the 2016 election, I’m not going out on a limb here and predicting a 1974-style defeat for GOP members of Congress next year, and I am fully aware that Democrats are always capable of seizing defeat from the jaws of victory. But the preconditions are falling into place for a political transformation between 2018 and 2020 that could result in the type of defeat that I think is necessary for my old party and the conservative movement to rebuild themselves from the ground up."

This from a long-time hardcore conservative. Many of them do understand the moment we're in, and what needs to happen to get back to healthy.

There's no comparison between now and the times of the Sinclair Lewis book. The opposition party to candidate Windrip wasn't trying to grab the guns or fill the country with third world immigrants with no money or skills. If fact there was a hold on immigration back then. Been a few decades since I read it, but I'm pretty sure that there was no extremely corrupt and lying candidate like clinton for windrip to run against. Also, the opposition party wasn't trying to promote sexual perversions up to and including that any guy who claimed himself to be a girl could use the little girl's room in the public and school restrooms of America.

Hmm.. got a response by the misnamed isaac newton. Not an intelligent response of course. Guess he couldn't find something to copy and paste.

Almost two years ago, I wrote an article for Politico endorsing Donald Trump for president. It was a tongue-in-cheek effort—I “supported” Trump only because I thought he would lose to Hillary Clinton, disastrously, and that his defeat would cleanse the Republican Party of the extremism and nuttiness that drove me out of it. I had hoped that post-2016, what remained of the moderate wing of the GOP would reassert itself as it did after the Goldwater debacle in 1964, and exorcise the crazies.

Trump was a guaranteed loser, I thought. In the Virginia presidential primary, I even voted for him, hoping to hasten the party’s demise. In the weeks before the November election, I predicted a Clinton presidency would fix much of what ails our country. On November 8, I voted for Clinton and left the ballot booth reasonably sure she would win.

Needless to say, I was as dumbfounded by the election results as Max Bialystock was by the success of “Springtime for Hitler.” For two months after Trump won, I couldn’t read any news about the election, and considered abandoning political commentary permanently. It wasn’t just that Trump disgusted me; I was disgusted with myself for being so stupid. I no longer trusted my own powers of observation and analysis.

Almost everything that has happened since November 8 has been the inverse of what I’d imagined. Trump didn’t lose; he won. The Republican Party isn’t undergoing some sort of reckoning over what it believes; his branch of the Republican Party has taken control. Most troubling, perhaps, is that rather than reassert themselves, the moderate Republicans have almost all rolled over entirely.

Trump has turned out to be far, far worse than I imagined. He has instituted policies so right wing they make Ronald Reagan, for whom I worked, look like a liberal Democrat. He has appointed staff people far to the right of the Republican mainstream in many positions, and they are instituting policies that are frighteningly extreme. Environmental Protection Administration Administrator Scott Pruitt proudly denies the existence of climate change, and is doing his best to implement every item Big Oil has had on its wish list since the agency was established by Richard Nixon. Education Secretary Betsy DeVos is actively hostile to the very concept of public education and is doing her best to abolish it. Every day, Attorney General Jeff Sessions institutes some new policy to take incarceration and law enforcement back to the Dark Ages. Trump’s proposed budget would eviscerate the social safety net for the sole purpose of giving huge tax cuts to the ultrawealthy.

And if those policies weren’t enough, conservatives—who, after all, believe in liberty and a system of checks and balances to restrain the government to its proper role—have plenty of reason to be upset by those actions Trump has taken that transcend our traditional right-left ideological divide. He’s voiced not only skepticism of NATO, but outright hostility to it. He’s pulled America back from its role as an international advocate for human rights. He’s attacked the notion of an independent judiciary. He personally intervened to request the FBI to ease up on its investigation of a former adviser of his, then fired FBI Director James Comey and freely admitted he did so to alleviate the pressure he felt from Comey’s investigation. For those conservatives who were tempted to embrace a “wait-and-see” approach to Trump, what they’ve seen, time and again, is almost unimaginable.

And yet as surprising as this all has been, it’s also the natural outgrowth of 30 years of Republican pandering to the lowest common denominator in American politics. Trump is what happens when a political party abandons ideas, demonizes intellectuals, degrades politics and simply pursues power for the sake of power.

continue reading...
‘Trump Is What Happens When a Political Party Abandons Ideas’
Millions of others did the same as you, voted for Trump, knowing Hillary would win and the party would once and for all reject the alt right and the crazies. Others voted for Trump, not because he was a good candidate, just a better candidate than Hillary.

That's strange. I voted for President Trump because of his ideas. There really was little other reason to do so. I continue to support him because he is doing his best to implement as many of those ideas as possible.
Same here. I voted for Trump because he was seeing the same problems I was.

This entire article is must read for all adults in the United States, and elsehwere as well. It clearly describes where we're at and how we got here.

From the article:

"With hindsight, it’s no surprise that the glorification of anti-elitism and anti-intellectualism that has been rampant on the right at least since the election of Barack Obama would give rise to someone like Trump. Anyone who ever read Sinclair Lewis’ “It Can’t Happen Here,” which imagined a fascist dictator taking power in 1930s America, recognizes that Trump is the real-life embodiment of Senator Buzz Windrip—a know-nothing populist who becomes president by promising something for everyone, with no clue or concern for how to actually accomplish it. Windrip was “vulgar, almost illiterate, a public liar easily detected, and in his ‘ideas’ almost idiotic,” Lewis wrote. “Certainly there was nothing exhilarating in the actual words of his speeches, nor anything convincing in his philosophy. His political platforms were only the wings of a windmill.”

--------

"The implementation of long-term, successful policy change cannot be short-circuited, it must be built on a solid foundation of thinking, analysis and research by smart, well-educated people. Listening to the common man rant about things he knows nothing about is a dead-end that leads to Trump and failure because there is no “there” there, just mindless rhetoric and frustration.

Having so badly miscalled the 2016 election, I’m not going out on a limb here and predicting a 1974-style defeat for GOP members of Congress next year, and I am fully aware that Democrats are always capable of seizing defeat from the jaws of victory. But the preconditions are falling into place for a political transformation between 2018 and 2020 that could result in the type of defeat that I think is necessary for my old party and the conservative movement to rebuild themselves from the ground up."

This from a long-time hardcore conservative. Many of them do understand the moment we're in, and what needs to happen to get back to healthy.

There's no comparison between now and the times of the Sinclair Lewis book. The opposition party to candidate Windrip wasn't trying to grab the guns or fill the country with third world immigrants with no money or skills. If fact there was a hold on immigration back then. Been a few decades since I read it, but I'm pretty sure that there was no extremely corrupt and lying candidate like clinton for windrip to run against. Also, the opposition party wasn't trying to promote sexual perversions up to and including that any guy who claimed himself to be a girl could use the little girl's room in the public and school restrooms of America.

Hmm.. got a response by the misnamed isaac newton. Not an intelligent response of course. Guess he couldn't find something to copy and paste.

Keep up the whining, I love to hear it. Better you at least try to respond to the OP junior. Trump is a train wreck for the country and the article explains why. So learn how to read and then learn how to respond to an OP.

Trump is what happens when the electorate is sick of getting fucked around and rejects the establishment.

As can be seen by the rise of Sanders from nothing to a serious contender, both sides were showing displeasure with the 'establishment' this election. Trump happened to be in the right place at the right time to catch that and capitalize on it.

Tale the partisan blinders off already. It's tiresome, boring, and it just leads us in the same direction as ended with trump. We've got problems within our system of government that go way deeper than trump or any one party, and THAT is what led to trump.

Almost two years ago, I wrote an article for Politico endorsing Donald Trump for president. It was a tongue-in-cheek effort—I “supported” Trump only because I thought he would lose to Hillary Clinton, disastrously, and that his defeat would cleanse the Republican Party of the extremism and nuttiness that drove me out of it. I had hoped that post-2016, what remained of the moderate wing of the GOP would reassert itself as it did after the Goldwater debacle in 1964, and exorcise the crazies.

Trump was a guaranteed loser, I thought. In the Virginia presidential primary, I even voted for him, hoping to hasten the party’s demise. In the weeks before the November election, I predicted a Clinton presidency would fix much of what ails our country. On November 8, I voted for Clinton and left the ballot booth reasonably sure she would win.

Needless to say, I was as dumbfounded by the election results as Max Bialystock was by the success of “Springtime for Hitler.” For two months after Trump won, I couldn’t read any news about the election, and considered abandoning political commentary permanently. It wasn’t just that Trump disgusted me; I was disgusted with myself for being so stupid. I no longer trusted my own powers of observation and analysis.

Almost everything that has happened since November 8 has been the inverse of what I’d imagined. Trump didn’t lose; he won. The Republican Party isn’t undergoing some sort of reckoning over what it believes; his branch of the Republican Party has taken control. Most troubling, perhaps, is that rather than reassert themselves, the moderate Republicans have almost all rolled over entirely.

Trump has turned out to be far, far worse than I imagined. He has instituted policies so right wing they make Ronald Reagan, for whom I worked, look like a liberal Democrat. He has appointed staff people far to the right of the Republican mainstream in many positions, and they are instituting policies that are frighteningly extreme. Environmental Protection Administration Administrator Scott Pruitt proudly denies the existence of climate change, and is doing his best to implement every item Big Oil has had on its wish list since the agency was established by Richard Nixon. Education Secretary Betsy DeVos is actively hostile to the very concept of public education and is doing her best to abolish it. Every day, Attorney General Jeff Sessions institutes some new policy to take incarceration and law enforcement back to the Dark Ages. Trump’s proposed budget would eviscerate the social safety net for the sole purpose of giving huge tax cuts to the ultrawealthy.

And if those policies weren’t enough, conservatives—who, after all, believe in liberty and a system of checks and balances to restrain the government to its proper role—have plenty of reason to be upset by those actions Trump has taken that transcend our traditional right-left ideological divide. He’s voiced not only skepticism of NATO, but outright hostility to it. He’s pulled America back from its role as an international advocate for human rights. He’s attacked the notion of an independent judiciary. He personally intervened to request the FBI to ease up on its investigation of a former adviser of his, then fired FBI Director James Comey and freely admitted he did so to alleviate the pressure he felt from Comey’s investigation. For those conservatives who were tempted to embrace a “wait-and-see” approach to Trump, what they’ve seen, time and again, is almost unimaginable.

And yet as surprising as this all has been, it’s also the natural outgrowth of 30 years of Republican pandering to the lowest common denominator in American politics. Trump is what happens when a political party abandons ideas, demonizes intellectuals, degrades politics and simply pursues power for the sake of power.

continue reading...
‘Trump Is What Happens When a Political Party Abandons Ideas’

/---- I voted for Trump because Hildabeast is a corrupt career politician who lined her pockets with$$$$ from her fake charity.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

They could if they got the right message across, but the left drilled it into their brains that the cops are the enemy, rich people who provide jobs are their enemy, only the government can save them from their self's

He also raised taxes 11 times, sold missiles to Iran, quadrupled the national debt, and created a recession his VP George Bush had to go back on his promise and raise taxes again. So whats your point.

He also raised taxes 11 times, sold missiles to Iran, quadrupled the national debt, and created a recession his VP George Bush had to go back on his promise and raise taxes again. So whats your point.
/---- Only Congress can raise taxes, increase the debt and must approve sale of weapons to a foreign country. Reagan had a DemocRAT Congress for most of his term. Butyou already knew that.
Hagin_St_Rock_Hill_SC_Early_1970s_.jpg

You never heard of tipper and who ran Congress tard?

You love to try to take it out of context don't you?

Trump is what happens when the electorate is sick of getting fucked around and rejects the establishment.

As can be seen by the rise of Sanders from nothing to a serious contender, both sides were showing displeasure with the 'establishment' this election. Trump happened to be in the right place at the right time to catch that and capitalize on it.

Tale the partisan blinders off already. It's tiresome, boring, and it just leads us in the same direction as ended with trump. We've got problems within our system of government that go way deeper than trump or any one party, and THAT is what led to trump.
I agree, both the support for Trump and Sanders was a protest but I strongly doubt voting for either was an intelligent protest against the in inability of Washington to solve problems. I think it was a knee jerk reaction. People liked what these guys said and without ever considering how they might delivery on promises, they were working to get them elected.

The biggest problem facing America is not healthcare, debt, illegal immigration, entitlements, global warming, terrorism, or Russian interference in our elections. It is the media which exaggerates every problem that exist in America to apocalyptic proportions so politicians are never dealing with reality but the perceived reality of the public. Couple that with the lack of understanding by the public of how our government actually works and you have a political environment similar to that of Germany in 1932.

When our parents and grandparents were growing the only countries that really had to compete for trade, good jobs, and capital were in western Europe, north America and Japan.

So you know what? It was just easier. Easier to get a good job and a nice house with disposable income to spare.

We have to compete with the rest of the world today. China and all the former European colonies are prepared and able to work harder or cheaper than us. So although the cake is bigger it's tougher to get your slice. If I was 21 today I would probably be pretty pissed too tbh. Free trade has lifted billions out of poverty but the relative losers are angry and want easy answers.

Rather than face this reality we have people like Trump, Sanders, and Corbyn in the UK telling everybody that things can magically go back to how were when we all ran the world and everybody else was a poor communist farmer.

We all need to face reality, rather than wallowing in echo chambers that tell us that the world is some giant conspiracy that can be overcome.

I think the Democrats have a lot of Ideas...they are just having trouble articulating them...because they all came from Karl Marx...and they don't want to admit that.

Forum List

Back